Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Updated Squad List 26 May 2018

Comments

• We were in the Championship at the time, Sarr was "hot property" and had played for Lyon and Lisbon.

£10k a week sounds like sort of salary he would expect, even without KM doing the negotiation.

Yeah and he was a French youth international and when I saw him at the Toulon Tournament he looked a real standout. Yes he was a gamble, but to get value sometimes you need to take a gamble on an overseas player. It's something I hope the Australians bring back, looking overseas to get good value. Look at the center forward position, we can pretty much name every potential target at our level, one above or one below. And all would come with a big transfer fee, big wages for a loan, or both.

To me the bigger problem has been the inability to put conditions in place that allow Sarr to settle and grow as a player. He was chucked straight in with Bauer who'd not played in England and Diarra who is not a center back. They were in front of Pope to start the season. Luzon and his staff were desperately found out. And everywhere you looked on the pitch you had a series of gambles and nowhere near enough depth. And then due to injury and a small squad Sarr had to play right center back with Lennon and with THD at right back at times with KF coaching and unsurprisingly, it all fell apart.
  • It's not his fault he's on the money he's on. Obviously a player is going to accept an offer as big as that one.

Looking forward to Sarr steadily improving this next season again, like the last one. That is if he stays of course.
  • Another example of total ineptitude. An obviously talented young player, chucked into the first team at a championship club way before he was ready. No time allowed to adapt to a new country or learn the language.

The way he was discarded when he failed was shocking as well. What benifit was there sending him on loan to France? Would have learnt more about the English game playing in the conference!

Another young footballer ruined by a shambolic administration. No wonder Meire loved doing contract negotiations, the agents must of loved it even more!

• I think Sarr is the best CB in our squad and should be a starter.

Not surprised :smile:
  • SDAddick said:

We were in the Championship at the time, Sarr was "hot property" and had played for Lyon and Lisbon.

£10k a week sounds like sort of salary he would expect, even without KM doing the negotiation.

Yeah and he was a French youth international and when I saw him at the Toulon Tournament he looked a real standout. Yes he was a gamble, but to get value sometimes you need to take a gamble on an overseas player. It's something I hope the Australians bring back, looking overseas to get good value. Look at the center forward position, we can pretty much name every potential target at our level, one above or one below. And all would come with a big transfer fee, big wages for a loan, or both.

To me the bigger problem has been the inability to put conditions in place that allow Sarr to settle and grow as a player. He was chucked straight in with Bauer who'd not played in England and Diarra who is not a center back. They were in front of Pope to start the season. Luzon and his staff were desperately found out. And everywhere you looked on the pitch you had a series of gambles and nowhere near enough depth. And then due to injury and a small squad Sarr had to play right center back with Lennon and with THD at right back at times with KF coaching and unsurprisingly, it all fell apart.
    Sarr was the sort of gamble you can take with a decent squad and spare money to gamble. Sarr as 4th or 5th choice CB, and given time to settle in would have been a worthwhile gamble. Perhaps.

Unfortunately that summer, we seemed to buy nothing but gambles. Foreign players, who either lacked 1st team experience or experience of playing in England. Or both. Sarr, Bauer, Makienok, Ba, Ceballos, Bergdych. Fine if you have a squad of solid pros to guide them, not so good when they're expected to be first teamers straight away.
  • Naby Sarr is on £10,000 a week !! What has the world come too!!
  • uie2 said:

Naby Sarr is on £10,000 a week !! What has the world come too!!

If you want to be properly shocked you need to read back a bit ...

• CAFC would love the figure to be 10k a week.
    Like I said - the figure I was reliably told is terrifying and yes, the lady doing the buying for us got this very wrong.

Add the two already mentioned figures together and you are there !

@NapaAddick can you help us out on this one?

He's paid £43 million a year?
    That's about 500k per error. Lucky git
  • Cross Charles-Cook off the list, turned down a new contract and has joined Gillingham
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:

Cross Charles-Cook off the list, turned down a new contract and has joined Gillingham

That's a shame - thought he was going to do well. Link here.
  • I know it is not the players fault, but if you want an example of how f*ucked up football is then the fact a player that can’t get a game at an average League One side earns more in just 3 weeks than probably 90% of those reading this do in a year, that is it
  • cafc-west said:

sam3110 said:

Cross Charles-Cook off the list, turned down a new contract and has joined Gillingham

That's a shame - thought he was going to do well. Link here.
    Shame but at 21 can't blame him for wanting to move somewhere for a better chance of regular football.

We might regret it one day, but then he may be one of those players that will only develop by moving on and playing every week. Unlikely to get that here.

Anyway, who cares, he joined us at 16 after being at Arsenal. If Lookman doesn't count as our academy player neither does RCC :wink:
  • Naby Sarr earns £273k a year. That's £5,250 a week.

I am not going to betray my source on this one, nor will I reveal anyone else's salary, but the current wage bill is one of the few bona fide, solid gold, verifiable things I am certain on.
  • PaddyP17 said:

Naby Sarr earns £273k a year. That's £5,250 a week.

I am not going to betray my source on this one, nor will I reveal anyone else's salary, but the current wage bill is one of the few bona fide, solid gold, verifiable things I am certain on.

When's the takeover going to be completed Roland? And is Sarr our highest earner?
  • Scoham said:

PaddyP17 said:

When's the takeover going to be completed Roland? And is Sarr our highest earner?
    Sarr is indeed our highest earner. As for the takeover - no idea.
  • You're not Roland then :confused:
  • PaddyP17 said:

Is that after tax though?

5K a week being our highest earner seems low to me.
  • PaddyP17 said:

Shit. Good point. I don't have the document I was sent any more, and I genuinely can't remember. But I know the words "Naby Sarr" and "273k" appeared in the same column. I suspect it's before tax, as £5,250 a week is a very round number.
  • PaddyP17 said:

P45 or P60 slip?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2018

PaddyP17 said:

Even after tax it's nowhere near the 16k that someone suggested.

FWIW when I worked in banking Jordan Cousins was on my colleagues premier banking books and he was only just eligible for premier banking, which at the time started at 100k a year salary, and I doubt his last contract with us was a youth player salary.
  • sam3110 said:

Absolutely gutted by this. I think he's a real talent and should be in contention to play more regularly next season. He is to me about 50% of what Reeco is to Henry.

I think he's going to go there, play every week, and become a real rising star in this division. As was the case with KAG in January, it's one of those things where he's only going to blossom by playing regularly, and I can't blame him for fearing he wouldn't do that with us.
  • edited May 2018
    SDAddick said:

sam3110 said:

Absolutely gutted by this. I think he's a real talent and should be in contention to play more regularly next season. He is to me about 50% of what Reeco is to Henry.

I think he's going to go there, play every week, and become a real rising star in this division. As was the case with KAG in January, it's one of those things where he's only going to blossom by playing regularly, and I can't blame him for fearing he wouldn't do that with us.
    So he is 50% your love child, how does that work(was it a 3sum and u and the other guy dont wanna no so your both 50%) :wink:
  • edited May 2018

SDAddick said:

sam3110 said:

So he is 50% your love child, how does that work(was it a 3sum and u and the other guy dont wanna no so your both 50%) :wink:
    What happens in the dark stays in the dark my friend. And that is all I will say about that.
  • Now down to 19 first team players

First Team Squad

Goalkeepers

Dillon Philips 2019

Right Backs

Chris Solly 2020

Centre Backs

Harry Lennon 2019
    Patrick Bauer 2019
    Jason Pearce 2020
    Ezri Konsa 2020 Sold to Brentford
    Naby Sarr 2020

Left Backs

Lewis Page 2019

Central Midfielders

Joe Aribo 2019
    Jake Forster-Caskey 2019
    Anfernee Dijksteel 2020

Attacking Midfielders/Wingers

Mark Marshall 2019
    Tariqe Fosu 2019
    Ben Reeves 2019
    Billy Clarke 2019

Strikers

Josh Magennis 2019
    Reeco Hackett-Fairchild 2019
    Igor Vetokele 2019
    Nicky Ajose 2019
    Karlan Ahearne-Grant 2019
  • Probably a couple more to leave as well.
    I just hope the takeover gives us enough time to bring in decent replacements otherwise it's another season of shite
  • So 19 senior pro's, Mag and Bauer rumoured on their way and potentially three youngsters doing stir in Spain. Takeover stalled. Just when you think it couldn't get worse. Get the dubbin on your boots guys, you may be needed.
  • edited June 2018
    whats worse is that our only recognised RB & LB are both injured & when fit are injury prone & can't make a run of games. Billy Clarke will not be fit for the start of the season & Marshall was reportedly told he was surplus to requirements....which given the current circumstanxes is bizare in the extreme. Then we have 2 forwards who may not be available either.

Looking at the above list I make it just 13 players who could be available to start against Welling.If the takeover diesn't happen next week then we are certs for relegation......trying getting your £45m then Mr RD !!!
  • whats worse is that our only recognised RB & LB are both injured & when fit are injury prone & can't make a run of games. Billy Clarke will not be fit for the start of the season & Marshall was reportedly told he was surplus to requirements....which given the current circumstanxes is bizare in the extreme. Then we have 2 forwards who may not be available either.

Looking at the above list I make it just 13 players who could be available to start against Welling.If the takeover diesn't happen next week then we are certs for relegation......trying getting your £45m then Mr RD !!!

Trust in Bowyer
  • ross1 said:

whats worse is that our only recognised RB & LB are both injured & when fit are injury prone & can't make a run of games. Billy Clarke will not be fit for the start of the season & Marshall was reportedly told he was surplus to requirements....which given the current circumstanxes is bizare in the extreme. Then we have 2 forwards who may not be available either.

Trust in Bowyer
    I do, but if he can't bring in the players he wants he is hamstrung.