Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England under 21s squad named!

Looks to be a very strong squad. One notable inclusion is our ex player and Youth product Carl Jenkinson. Notable exclusions neither Jordan Cousins or Diego Poyet made the cut! I belive both have made appearances for the u21s before..

Comments

• Jordan Cousins has played for England from Schoolboy to U20.

Don't think the U21 have come calling yet.

As Poyet is a West ham player: no comment.
  • I think he was called up in May this year
  • Congratulations to them both, it is a side show to the real U21s so far as I'm aware though as Jordan Cousins played in it a few years ago yet has never actually played for the U21s as per the below:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Cousins
  • No Foden, Sancho or Lookman? Or am I missing something.
  • No Foden, Sancho or Lookman? Or am I missing something.

Exactly... Its a secondary tournament, those three are probably being given the Summer off
  • Jamie Stuart played in this tournament so that says it all.......
  • Congratulations to them both, it is a side show to the real U21s so far as I'm aware though as Jordan Cousins played in it a few years ago yet has never actually played for the U21s as per the below:

Yeah this tournament sits in a weird space between U20 and U21 and I don't really understand how it works. U20.5 I guess.

Cousins was played as a right forward a few years ago basically to lump it to him to try to get him in behind. It didn't work very well.

Konsa was originally supposed to go last year but was called up to the U20 World Cup at the last minute I think because Rico Henry was injured.

I believe Naby Sarr was either player of the tournament or one of the best players in the tournament a few years ago. I remember seeing him then and he looked very good albeit very raw.

Hopefully it's on telly here in the States. Usually a good chance to see young talent. It's basically the U20 World Cup winning squad without Lookman but with Nmecha and Nkeitah.
  • Its basically an invitational tournament so far as I'm aware that France organise by picking mostly random teams

i.e. Canada and Togo are taking part for the first time this time round and was Cuba's turn last year

We seem to be regular attendees though and have won the last two years running so no pressure on Jay and Ezri
  • European under 19s Championship take place at the back end of July which effects players pre season for their clubs.

I imagine all the big names will probably have this summer off in preparation for next years Under 20s World Cup and under 21st Euros.
  • Sponsored links:

• SDAddick said:

Congratulations to them both, it is a side show to the real U21s so far as I'm aware though as Jordan Cousins played in it a few years ago yet has never actually played for the U21s as per the below:

Yeah this tournament sits in a weird space between U20 and U21 and I don't really understand how it works. U20.5 I guess.

Cousins was played as a right forward a few years ago basically to lump it to him to try to get him in behind. It didn't work very well.

Konsa was originally supposed to go last year but was called up to the U20 World Cup at the last minute I think because Rico Henry was injured.

I believe Naby Sarr was either player of the tournament or one of the best players in the tournament a few years ago. I remember seeing him then and he looked very good albeit very raw.

Hopefully it's on telly here in the States. Usually a good chance to see young talent. It's basically the U20 World Cup winning squad without Lookman but with Nmecha and Nkeitah.
    And look what Nabby is doing now
  • Brief highlights of this afternoons game against China,Konsa was an unused sub,Dasilva started the match.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K68Evv2zTdo
  • clive said:

Brief highlights of this afternoons game against China,Konsa was an unused sub,Dasilva started the match.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K68Evv2zTdo

Only just beat China blimey...
  • Interestingly, Dasilva started at left midfield.

Definitely think that is a way forward for him, he had all the attributes to play further forward and cover the left back.
  • Have a vested interest in the tournament this year, having been involved with 90% or so of the Qatar team (who play England on Tuesday i think). They have sent across a very young squad, mainly u19's with a view to preparation for their Asian u19 tournament in October.

Watched them play Mexico yesterday where they lost 4-1, no surprises there, but amazing how lightweight they looked.
  • edited May 2018
    Sage said:

Interestingly, Dasilva started at left midfield.

Definitely think that is a way forward for him, he had all the attributes to play further forward and cover the left back.

Did he? I was just looking at the teams and I thought it was nice that they switched to a 3-5-2. Unfortunately only the Mexico game is on here so I wasn't able to watch. Was it
    Woodman
    Tomori Fry JCS Kenny
    .......... Cook Davis
    Armstrong Dowell DaSilva
    ............ Abraham

I don't know that it's necessarily needed against China, but I would like to see that team in a 3-5-2 with Tomori moving inside (I think Konsa would also do well there with his ability on the ball), Kenny and Jay as wingbacks, and then Dowell either behind Armstrong and Abraham or him and Armstrong either side of Abraham.
  • Anyone been watching any of the Toulon tournament?

England won their first game vs China 2-1

Next game is tomorrow vs Mexico which is likely to be the group decider (Mexico beat Qatar 4-1)

Little Jay Dasilva played 80 minutes, Konsa was an unused sub.

Only caught bits and pieces of the other games. France look good.
  • Games have been shown (some live, some highlights) on freesports, channel 95 on freeview
  • Games have been shown (some live, some highlights) on freesports, channel 95 on freeview

If you can get it.

Got freeview and no channel 95

If you can get it.

Have you tried to retune the channel? - Think its quite new
  • Sponsored links:

If you can get it.

Tried to retune 5 times before the england game lol

If you can get it.

Been around about 9 months I think.

Quite decent at times. They've got the Portuguese league so a few good matches.
  • Aw good because the match is on telly here so I'll get to watch it later. Looking forward to see Konsa and our Jay (he'll always be part ours in my opinion, at least for the foreseeable future).

This is how I think they might line up, but I could see two or three different permutations for this team
    Woodman
    Kenny Konsa Fry DaSilva
    .. Connolly Choudhury Cook (could also be pushed up to the 10)
    Dowell Nketiah Nmecha

Alternatively
    .......... Woodman
    Kenny Konsa Fry Connolly
    ....... Choudhury Cook
    Nmecha Dowell DaSilva
    .............Nketiah
  • He lines up alongside our 2017/18 Player of the Year Jay Dasilva for the #YoungLions and you can watch all the action on @FreeSportsUK. #cafc
  • Our second game at @TournoiToulon comes to an end, and the #YoungLions have been held to a 0-0 draw by Mexico.

Next up: Qatar on Friday.
  • It finishes 0-0, but it was an outstanding performance from our young Addick @Ekonsa15 #cafc
  • Need a big win over Qatar to top the group now, you’d expect Mexico to beat China.

Otherwise we finish 2nd and have to hope we are the best 2nd place team. But a win (therefore 7 points) should be enough surely.
  • Qatar drew 1-1 with China, scored early on but then conceded a last minute penalty. England should win on Friday but it should be a good game.
  • No Ezri or JDS starting tonight