Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Astronaut Alan Bean

The 4th man to walk on the moon, Alan Bean has died aged 86. Just four years short of joining my exclusive Celebs that are still alive thread sadly...

Comments

• RIP.

Shocking to think how long ago were his days on Apollo 12 and SkyLab.

It may be a long time before anyone emulates him (apparently the moon dust is potentially lethal to space suits, etc.).

My internal soundtrack is now stuck on The Police's Walking on the Moon.
  • RIP
  • RIP.

It may be a long time before anyone emulates him (apparently the moon dust is potentially lethal to space suits, etc.).

Could be worse, mine is Karl Howman singing, "Oi, have you sussed new Windowlene Plus". Nothing to do with poor Alan Bean, it's just been stuck in my head for days.
  • Stig said:

RIP.

Could be worse, mine is Karl Howman singing, "Oi, have you sussed new Windowlene Plus". Nothing to do with poor Alan Bean, it's just been stuck in my head for days.
    At least Karl is Charlton...
  • Riviera said:

The 4th man to walk on the moon, Alan Bean has died aged 86. Just four years short of joining my exclusive Celebs that are still alive thread sadly...

Only fourth? Not even in the medals . RIP
  • No medals for coming fourth, but a hero of mine - not a bad painter either.RIP.
  • Hero. RIP
  • I knew Neil Armstrong won the Gold and
    Buzz Aldrin the silver.

RIP to Al Bean who was 4th.

Who won the bronze, lunar fans ?
  • Sponsored links:

Buzz Aldrin the silver.

Not Jim Lovell... :lol:
  • RIP.

At least it's not the Shake'n'Vac song.
  • Those twelve who walked on the moon will not be emulated for quite some time, I think. They were very brave to go in to such a hostile environment, as the trails of Apollo 13 showed.
  • Armstrong, Aldrin and Michael Collins who was the lunar pilot for Apollo 11 and watched from the module, had one other thing in common ?

They were all born in 1930.

Alan Bean 1932/2018
  • Met Alan Bean a couple of tines and have prints of his paintings on the wall at home. A nice man, as well as being a hero mine. RIP
    Buzz Aldrin the silver.

Pete Conrad.
  • Chizz said:

I knew Neil Armstrong won the Gold and
    Buzz Aldrin the silver.

Pete Conrad.
    Cheers Chizz.
  • Armstrong, Aldrin and Michael Collins who was the lunar pilot for Apollo 11 and watched from the module, had one other thing in common ?

They were all born in 1930.

Alan Bean 1932/2018

Chizz said:

I knew Neil Armstrong won the Gold and
    Buzz Aldrin the silver.

Pete Conrad.
    Just seen that Pete Conrad was born in 1930 as well ! Though ironically Conrad died in a motorbike accident.

NASA must've had a small window of age and experience in 1960 when they recruited the trainee astronauts for the moon landing in a decade program. (Beating the Russians was a great motivator)