Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Eighth Amendment Referendum

Exit polls in Ireland suggest a 68-32 result in favour of repealing this amendment, which places an effective ban on abortions.

Well done Ireland.

Comments

• That would be fantastic result. About time women were given choice
  • kimbo said:

That would be fantastic result. About time women were given choice

What about the Babies choice to be born??

IMO abortions should only be allowed in exceptional circumstances I:E Rape.

But other than that if you dont want a baby then put something on it or have the implant or go on the pill.

Fed up of seeing people 'accidently' get pregnant and abort.

If you have chosen to have sex and chosen not to use protection then its a choice not an accident.

Was my daughter planned no
    Was it correct timing most definetly not.
    Did we even consider abortion 100% no

Is she the best thing to have happened to me 110% yes
  • kimbo said:

That would be fantastic result. About time women were given choice

What about the Babies choice to be born??

IMO abortions should only be allowed in exceptional circumstances I:E Rape.

But other than that if you dont want a baby then put something on it or have the implant or go on the pill.

Fed up of seeing people 'accidently' get pregnant and abort.

If you have chosen to have sex and chosen not to use protection then its a choice not an accident.

Was my daughter planned no
    Was it correct timing most definetly not.
    Did we even consider abortion 100% no

Is she the best thing to have happened to me 110% yes
    You don't really understand this referendum, do you?

I stand by my statement which is my opinion and my right to say so Abortions should only be legal in exceptional circumstances like Rape
    Then surely you agree with the vote?
    Not exactly no.

A yes vote means anyone could have an abortion like here which as I have stated IMO is wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• 100% vote yes.
  • It is a very difficult subject. It has to be available but not too easy. Of course if a woman is raped, there are health implications for her etc... there should be no barriers and in Ireland there are. I think we have it largely right here and I suspect Ireland wouldn't veer too far from that. It is still sad and upsetting but necessary.
  • Sorry, not read much on this. Is the plan to allow abortion up to 12 weeks for any reason and then up to 24 weeks in extenuating circumstances?

Don’t see much wrong with that if that is the case.
  • Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:

Not sure why @paulie8290 opinion is less valid than anyone else’s.

If he believes right to life begins at conception that should be respected.

At the risk of expanding this discussion I think that there are clear parallels with the issue of allowing people with terminal illness the right to decide when they die.

A group of people find the idea that choice and the rights of others to decide what happens in their lives and bodies to be unacceptable under any conditions or circumstances. Imposing their views without detailed knowledge of what they are really objecting to.

I’m glad Ireland has voted for choice and I live in hope that the UK can find a way to have the discussion about assisted death before too many more years pass.

I disagree that there are parallels with Euthanasia and abortion. Under the laws of our country (not Ireland, which this thread originally considers) you aren't a sentient, legal, human until postpartum and therefore the two concepts are not equivalent.
  • I think the equivalence here is between choice for the pregnant woman and choice for the person with the illness.
  • se9addick said:

MrOneLung said:

At the risk of expanding this discussion I think that there are clear parallels with the issue of allowing people with terminal illness the right to decide when they die.

A group of people find the idea that choice and the rights of others to decide what happens in their lives and bodies to be unacceptable under any conditions or circumstances. Imposing their views without detailed knowledge of what they are really objecting to.

I’m glad Ireland has voted for choice and I live in hope that the UK can find a way to have the discussion about assisted death before too many more years pass.

I disagree that there are parallels with Euthanasia and abortion. Under the laws of our country (not Ireland, which this thread originally considers) you aren't a sentient, legal, human until postpartum and therefore the two concepts are not equivalent.
    Well without getting into the fine details of law. My point was really about the right to have a choice and not be denied that choice by people not walking in your shoes with arguments that are largely based on controlling religious doctrine that has no relevance to me.

• edited May 2018

The mrs is Irish and she feels very strongly for the yes vote, another situation is a pregnant mother ( 1 month gone ) is diagnosed with cancer and because she is pregnant cannot have chemo because she is pregnant, also if a baby is deemed to not survive outside the womb the expectant mother has no choice but to carry the baby - must be an horrendous thing to have to do.

My friend's wife has just given birth (had a cesarian) to welcome a beautiful healthy daughter into the world at just 7 months because of the need for Chemo to start. Both my friend and his wife said they wouldn't have dared to choose Chemo over bringing a wanted life into this world.

Also @paulie8290 surely you don't think it's right to make having a baby a punishment for all the teens and adults that have unprotected sex, potentially whilst out on a piss up or when a condom breaks or when a pill fails etc?!

Abortion whilst seemingly inhumane can stop a life being brought into the world unwanted, forcing a life to grow up unwanted is a sure way to have a kid grow up with personality and/or mental health disorders.

It's far too big an issue for a closed mind. We have to consider all options and abortion decisions should be accountable to the pregnant mother and the professional on a case by case basis.
  • se9addick said:

MrOneLung said:

Well without getting into the fine details of law. My point was really about the right to have a choice and not be denied that choice by people not walking in your shoes with arguments that are largely based on controlling religious doctrine that has no relevance to me.

I think we agree, but maybe for different reasons.