Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

***PSA Tests for Prostate Cancer at The Valley - next one in Feb ***

Comments

• johnboy59 said:

My story prostate cancer
    On the 19thDecember 2017 I was diagnosed with Prostate cancer. I had no Symptoms and only found out by accident as a result of being the fittest I have been for 20 years. Towards the end of 2016 I started reducing my alcohol intake. I had been doing regular Pilates classes and in December 2016 I started running again after a break of about 20 years. In 2017 I ran the Paddock Wood and Chislehurst half Marathons and was regularly running 20 to 30 miles a week. I dropped 2st from 13.5st to 11.4st and my waste size reduced to 32ins which is what it was in my thirties. (I am now 63.)
    On 10th November 2017 following a 10mile run, I experienced a severe pain in my groin. The following day whilst out for a walk the pain was worse and had travelled to my right testicle. The GP said he could NOT detect a hernia but sent me for a blood test which showed a PSA level of 23. Normally anything above 4 would be cause for concern however raised PSA doesn’t necessarily mean prostate cancer. It can be an infection called prostates. I was asked to take another test and the PSA had increased to 24.6. The GP had already referred me to urology as a precaution plus a separate ultrasound scans of the groin and testicles. So, it was back to the consultant urologist expecting to be told the best option. (The infection prostates). This was the first of a few conversations I came away from in a state of shock. The consultant in Urology in informed me that it was NOT the infection I was hoping for. He was sending me for a MRI scan and a something called a Sigmoidoscopy. The latter involves having a probe inserted in the rectum and taking 12 biopsies samples from the prostate.
    The result of these two procedures confirmed that I had cancer of the prostate and that I needed to come back on the 9th of January 2018. In the meantime I was to have a PET scan which involves being injected with radioactive material and then having a full body scan which will show whether or not the cancer is confined to the prostate. The 9th finally arrived and it was another one of those conversations I wasn’t expecting. I was told the cancer had spread to the lymph nodes in the vicinity of the prostate this meant that surgery or radiology was not an option. I was introduced to senior oncology consultant. She informed me that the team had discussed my case and the treatment would be a combination of hormone therapy and chemotherapy. The next few days were a daze where the fact that I had cancer consumed all my waking hours. My family have been incredibly supportive and sometimes I feel they are suffering more than me. Friends, colleagues and relatives have all offered support and all seem to know someone with the same or similar condition “who are fine now “ The days after I was first diagnosed were awful but as time has gone on, I have a plan and count my blessings that although it would have been better if the cancer had been spotted earlier. If it had not been for what turned out to be a hernia I would be blissfully unaware I had cancer. I feel perfectly well (had the Hernia repaired two weeks ago) and can start running again in another two weeks which is when the chemo will start. The plan is simple
    (1) Keep positive, I can beat this. As all the doctors tell me I am young and fit.
    (2) I have been so lucky to have had a fantastic life, family and career. I have left my job so that when I feel good during the treatment I can stay as fit as possible and not be sat behind a desk. And if I feel c**P I don’t have to let people down calling in sick
    (3) I have a number of thoughts of how I can help other people who are in the same situation as me by sharing my experiences and I want to harness my desire to “keep on running” to raise money to help find a cure for future generations.

(4) IF YOU TAKE NOTHING ELSE FROM THIS PLEASE MAKE SURE ANY MEN THAT YOU KNOW CARE ABOUT OR ARE CLOSE TO YOU GET TESTED. IF ITS CAUGHT EARLY THIS IS THE BEST CANCER TO GET

(5) CHEMO STARTS A WEEK TOMORROW 16th March 2018 AND IS SCARING THE S**T OUT OF ME BUT IS ONLY GOING TO BE FOR FOUR MONTHS. I HAVE BEEN AROUND FOR NEARLY 63 YEARS WHICH IS 756 MONTHS SO I GUESS I SHOULD BE GREATFULL!

I wrote the above back in March I have since had two lots of Chemo and the third one is due a week today and I feel remarkably well and have been selected to take part in the first Oncology Games in Rome in June this year.

worth saying again
    IF YOU TAKE NOTHING ELSE FROM THIS PLEASE MAKE SURE ANY MEN THAT YOU KNOW CARE ABOUT OR ARE CLOSE TO YOU GET TESTED. IF ITS CAUGHT EARLY THIS IS THE BEST CANCER TO GET

Thanks for sharing and I hope things go well for you. Please update us with your progress.

I have already posted my experience with Prostrate Cancer and wont repeat it now.

I do, like you, want to emphasise to others, the need to consult their GPs if they have any discomfort or change of routine in the prostrate area. My "alert" was a change to my peeing pattern and I sought GP advice immediately. It was detected early (PSA level of 14) and two years later after Radiotheraphy my regular PSA test shows a reading of less than one.
  • Can't see any harm in getting the test done - it's not invasive and can highlight a potentially serious condition.
  • Fans can show their support for Team Addicks and @ProstateUK at The Valley on Saturday when we take on @Rovers.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5ae1d2ca5a88d/show-your-support-for-team-addicks-at-the-valley-on-saturday … #cafc

Collection buckets will be located in and around The Valley and 100 per cent of the money donated will go directly towards Team Addicks’ sponsorship target.

If any supporters would like to volunteer to help with Saturday’s collection, please contact @TraceyLeaburn via email at tracey.leaburn@cafc.co.uk.
  • I cannot thank everyone enough for their amazing support.
  • edited May 2018
    The jury is out over the benefit of the PSA test. Yes, it will catch one or two people who have cancer, but it will also catch very many more who don't, and they may well go on to have potentially life changing tests and examinations as a result. My GP has sent several patients to see urologist with higher readings than mine, and they all came back negative after biopsies etc.

The NHS announced two new treatments a couple of weeks ago. They sound promising and are far less damaging than the current procedures.

It's also worth bearing in mind that in the US prostate ops are carried out by the Davinci robot, which is far more effective and causes far less damage than the way we normally operate in the UK. We currently only have three of these machines as they cost £3m each. One is in Canterbury.

I suspect with research the treatment can only improve over the next ten years.
  • edited May 2018
    Swisdom said:

My doctor asks what my symptoms are and then goes to google.
    He’s a fuckwit

Do the test if nothing else for your own peace of mind.i did and was relieved to get a green.

My dad goes in for surgery next week to have his prostate removed because he had a test at his annual wellman medical check be it turns out he’s got prostate cancer. If he didn’t bother I’d probably lose him.

I don’t care what some doctors say - if this has a reasonable chance of identifying cancer then why wouldn’t you do it.

Only because the test isn't accurate, and a high reading can result in tests that can damage you permanently. This really highlights the need for more research into the disease, which might hopefully result in better testing and procedures.
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:

Swisdom said:

My doctor asks what my symptoms are and then goes to google.
    He’s a fuckwit

Do the test if nothing else for your own peace of mind.i did and was relieved to get a green.

My dad goes in for surgery next week to have his prostate removed because he had a test at his annual wellman medical check be it turns out he’s got prostate cancer. If he didn’t bother I’d probably lose him.

I don’t care what some doctors say - if this has a reasonable chance of identifying cancer then why wouldn’t you do it.

Only because the test isn't accurate, and a high reading can result in tests that can damage you permanently. This really highlights the need for more research into the disease, which might hopefully result in better testing and procedures.
    Hi James

I have been through the Prostrate Cancer mill and would question your statement that (primary) tests can damage you permantly.

In my case, my GP first gave me tablets to reduce my PSA level, in case the raised level was a water infection (it wasnt); this would not cause any long term issues.

He then arranged for a physical "feel" of my prostrate and the result was an amnormality was detected (a rough "coating" on what should be a smooth prostrate); again, no long term issues.

Then a biopsy, where ten small pieces of tissue were taken from my prostrate for testing, resulting in four pieces being cancerous. I am no expert, and I am happy to be proved wrong, but I cant see that that process can induce any long term health issues.

Thereafter of course, radiotheraphy to address the prostrate cancer can produce long term health issues; but the primary aim is to address the potential life threatening cancer.

Look forward to your response.
  • I went for one due to the Dr saying i had an enlarged prostrate during the last examination i had for an on going issue

should get the result next week , all a bit worrying really as i have got a real change to how long i can hold on to a jimmy riddle for without literally having to find a loo or a bush
  • I went for one due to the Dr saying i had an enlarged prostrate during the last examination i had for an on going issue

should get the result next week , all a bit worrying really as i have got a real change to how long i can hold on to a jimmy riddle for without literally having to find a loo or a bush

An enlarged prostrate can be just that. Best of luck with your test results.
  • Thanks pete
  • edited May 2018

I went for one due to the Dr saying i had an enlarged prostrate during the last examination i had for an on going issue

I had an enlarged prostrate, (not cancerous), had a minor operation to shave off some (TERPS), in hospital for 3 days. If you have this, you will need a catheter put in. No problem going in, no pain when taking out, but peeing for about 3 days after was the only pain I had, I know what women say when the have cystitis. If you have this operation, ask the surgeon about side effects, nothing to worry about, but interesting, and I found useful
  • Thank you everyone for your support.
  • Sponsored links:

• Maybe this is a good time to wish Tracey, JS & SCP all the best for their bike ride for Prostate Cancer on 1st June.

Take care, All and may the wind be with you !
    x

It's blowing the wrong way at the moment. We need a nice westerly!
  • Maybe this is a good time to wish Tracey, JS & SCP all the best for their bike ride for Prostate Cancer on 1st June.

Take care, All and may the wind be with you !
    x

Thank you so much x
  • For what it’s worth and just for info, I had the test at the Valley and another one a few weeks later that was tagged onto a list of other routine health check tests and the result of the PSA one was not too dissimilar to the result of the PSA test at the Valley, which would tend to support the quality of the analysis of the blood samples, assuming there isn’t a single lab where all PSA blood samples taken in England are sent for analysis.
  • I had the ‘smoothness’ and size test and passed those. My GP then said lack of symptoms combined with those tests means I don’t need another PSA test, but I could have one later in the year if I want one.
    I’m doing way too much cycling at the moment to have an accurate PSA test anyway!
  • JamesSeed said:

I had the ‘smoothness’ and size test and passed those. My GP then said lack of symptoms combined with those tests means I don’t need another PSA test, but I could have one later in the year if I want one.
    I’m doing way too much cycling at the moment to have an accurate PSA test anyway!

Perhaps you could cycle over to Belgium and ask our wonderful leader, what is happening :wink:
  • #Tracey I’ve noticed that Jeff sterling and the sky sports team wear the prostrate awareness badge. . Has he supported/promoted the expansion of these test around football clubs on his show?

By the way Tracey you are doing a great job. Thank you.