Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General Data Protection Regulation

Comes in on the 25th of May.

Does anyone on here know much about it and how it might affect people who have business websites / run football forums etc.?

Comments

• I think it's an EU thing, but still affects websites run in the UK if they are geared towards the international market
  • there are at least 2 other threads on here Rob about GDPR that goes into some detail.
  • stonemuse said:

Contact @Redmidland

Email.... reallyoldbloke@asleepbynine.com ;)
  • I know that @redmidland also started a thread re GDPR too.
  • Comes in on the 25th of May.

Does anyone on here know much about it and how it might affect people who have business websites / run football forums etc.?

Lived and breathed it every day for the past 6 months as DPO at my place.

The ICO (the regulator) website is absolutely superb....https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/
  • If only it was always this simple:

Cocktails / Administrivia

Good Evening Dear Customers

We have a couple of new and (we think) very tasty cocktails we'd like to share with you, and there's also a teensy tiny bit of administrivia for you to look at.

TWO VERY TASTY COCKTAILS

First up we have the G.D.P.R., a twist on the classic Martinez. It uses a dry gin, rather than the more traditional Old Tom, so to balance that we've added some sweet Recioto. Helpfully, that also lets us give this drink its highly topical name. (Gin - Dubonnet - Peychauds - Recioto. Geddit?)

G.D.P.R.
    30ml Brokers London Dry Gin
    30ml Dubonnet
    3 dashes Peychauds Bitters
    5ml Recioto

Add all ingredients to an ice filled mixing glass and stir until chilled and diluted. Double strain into a chilled Nick & Nora glass and garnish with a Maraschino cherry.

Next we have the Subscription Prescription, a fancy-schmancy version of the traditional Jamaican cold remedy of overproof rum and lime juice.

Subscription Prescription
    37.5ml Plantation O.F.T.D. rum
    12.5ml King's Ginger
    12.5ml Lime syrup
    2 dashes citric acid solution
    37.5ml chilled water

Add all ingredients to a soda siphon. Double charge the siphon with CO2. Foam into an ice filled rocks glass. Garnish with a lime wheel.

ADMINISTRIVIA

We send you our marketing emails because either you subscribed online via our website or directly via Mailchimp, or because you gave us your email address in person in one of our three shops.

Here is the information we store about you
    • Your Email Address
    We share the information with Mailchimp for the purpose of sending our emails (like this one). It is not used for any other purpose or shared with any other party.

You can change your email preferences or unsubscribe completely at any time (click or tap on the link).

And that's it - see you soon.

Cheers

The Good Spirits Co.

• Comes in on the 25th of May.

Lived and breathed it every day for the past 6 months as DPO at my place.

The ICO (the regulator) website is absolutely superb....https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/
    Cant disagree with @RodneyCharltonTrotta , I've been working on GDPR for Cov Uni for over 18 months, it is due to take effect in just 9 days time, many companies are nowhere near ready, in fact some still dont know what it is!! Look at the link Rodney has given it is very worthwhile.
  • Sponsored links:

• Havent been involved in GDPR in the day job but I've created a privacy statement for my part-time wedding photography business.

Its a major headache as photographers now can't just put in the T&C that any photos of clients taken can be used on portfolio/social media platforms for advertising. Clients have to physically opt in to the option on the contract now.

Also had to mention cookies on the website, targetted advertising.

Any hard copies of contract paperwork now has to be in a room which can be locked.

I've also had to go back and get retrospective permission of everyone who's image sits on my website.

Proper ball ache!
  • Not long to go now, it (GDPR) comes in on Friday, many people are going to get a shock, only recently the Uni of Greenwich has been £120k (under the old rules), if they pay by 15th June they will get a 20% reduction (circa £96k to pay) bit this is only the beginning, believe me.
  • I'm looking forward to Friday, as far as I understand it no one is ever going to be able to contact me again.

Bit of peace and quiet.
  • If I get 1 more F***ing email today about F***ing Data Protection I am gonna scream
  • Not long to go now, it (GDPR) comes in on Friday, many people are going to get a shock, only recently the Uni of Greenwich has been £120k (under the old rules), if they pay by 15th June they will get a 20% reduction (circa £96k to pay) bit this is only the beginning, believe me.

Uni of Greenwich has been £120k? What??
  • JaShea99 said:

Not long to go now, it (GDPR) comes in on Friday, many people are going to get a shock, only recently the Uni of Greenwich has been £120k (under the old rules), if they pay by 15th June they will get a 20% reduction (circa £96k to pay) bit this is only the beginning, believe me.

Uni of Greenwich has been £120k? What??
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44197118

The fine was for a security breach in which the personal data of 19,500 students was placed online.

The data included names, addresses, dates of birth, phone numbers, signatures and - in some cases - physical and mental health problems.
  • Thanks. The word ‘fine’ would have helped a little.
  • Sponsored links:

• No more double negatives I believe. You have to positively confirm you consent to someone storing your information.

Looking forward to receiving no more spam
  • If I get 1 more F***ing email today about F***ing Data Protection I am gonna scream

Posted this

And now f***ing Hermes have just emailed so here it comes

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
  • AOL appear today have gone into meltdown because of this.
    My email is locked & won't let me back in.
    Apparently they know & are working on it.
    By this I think they mean they have covered their ears & are shouting 'la la la not listening'.
    Groan.
  • 50% of the emails I got told me I had to opt out, only the decent companies asked me to actually opt back in.

The spammers must think they have a loophole.
  • AOL appear today have gone into meltdown because of this.
    My email is locked & won't let me back in.
    Apparently they know & are working on it.
    By this I think they mean they have covered their ears & are shouting 'la la la not listening'.
    Groan.

You should have received at least three emails over the last month requesting that you opt in so that you can retain AOL access. If no opt in, they will block you.

• What did Meire get fined when our personal details were emailed to each other?
  • Swisdom said:

No more double negatives I believe. You have to positively confirm you consent to someone storing your information.

They may have legitimate business interest to store of process your info - that's subjective though.

All these emails going out, are in the main are pointless other than companies being able to show they've taken some action. Those companies who delete their entire database based on people not responding to emails are stupid and just don't understand the regulations.

The test comes in the coming weeks and months with regards to what processes you have in place. People would think we've not had data protection laws before they come in on Friday.
  • WSS said:

Swisdom said:

No more double negatives I believe. You have to positively confirm you consent to someone storing your information.

They may have legitimate business interest to store of process your info - that's subjective though.

All these emails going out, are in the main are pointless other than companies being able to show they've taken some action. Those companies who delete their entire database based on people not responding to emails are stupid and just don't understand the regulations.

The test comes in the coming weeks and months with regards to what processes you have in place. People would think we've not had data protection laws before they come in on Friday.
    well said that man/er person