Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Air BNB

Just wondered if anyone had tried it before, and would use it again?

Would be be good to hear good, bad or indifferent , any whether you used it for a family holiday or used it for a business trip?

Comments

• Used it a few times and found it was really good....even booked a place in Manila for a few nights using it. We are currently renovating our place in Australia with a view to using the upper four bedrooms to let out on airbnb. Plenty of choice...give it a try.
  • edited May 2018
    First place I go for holidays or business overnighters (if I am paying out of my own pocket). You mostly get what you pay for but coming up to London have had some really good stays. Got a lovely whole flat in Ladywell for £60 a night recently.

Rented a 2 bed in Porto for a week last September - way better than the previous "owners direct" bs. I would say do your homework and research the areas you are looking at on Google maps street view. The reviews are overwhelmingly and unrealistically positive.
  • We're hoping to open a 1 bed self contained house on Air BnB for next summer
  • Used it several times, in places as diverse as Cornwall and Havana. Experience has generally been very positive, the occasional minor hiccup.

Would generally say it's for leisure travel or a longer term stay when working abroad, where the benefits of your own space outweigh the need for service, absolute reliability etc. Read the feedback and get a sense of hosts to avoid. And be a nice and tidy guest.

Lastly I'm very conscious of the damaging social aspects of holiday rentals and airbnb in particular. I guess thus far I've (hypocritically perhaps) put them to one side, but I support any regulation and cap on this activity. .even if it limits or costs me directly.
  • It's good but do make sure you select entire place and not just a room, easy mistake to make!
    It's always worth checking the reviews to see what the host is like with communication as you'll need to organise arrival and anything you may need whilst there.

• Used it in Poland this year, perfect really. Can't fault it. Will be using again.
  • Booked a chalet in the alps for a week this year, very impressed.
  • one thing i dont like about Airbnb is their hidden charges - what starts off at advertised 50 EUR a night then suddenly becomes 60+ at checkout - be careful.
  • Over the last few years have used Air BNB to book places in Bath, Charmouth, Cambridge, Valencia and Barcelona. Has been perfect each time.

Off to Brussels next week for a few days so having posted this I’m sure it will now be a nightmare.
  • Sponsored links:

• Used it quite a bit now, both in the UK and across Europe. Had either good or fantastic experiences when using it. Saved a lot of money in places like Iceland and the hosts are usually very helpful in terms of getting a local's advice on where/where not to go etc.

We always check the reviews and and contact the hosts before we book. I have used it for holidays with my partner, with a few friends and for a large group (if you do book for a large group, watch out for what they deem to be a 'bed' - found a few 2 bed apartments that claimed to sleep 11!)

I have absolutely no reservations in recommending it, enjoy!
  • Have used them in Italy, Spain, Denmark & Norway and have had only positive experiences. As stated above, do your research in terms of host reliability etc.

Got great value in small town Tuscany/Liguria last summer. They allow you to stay in a traditional home with more space than a hotel and at a lower cost.

Regulation will follow - AirBnB has priced locals out of their own property markets etc- Changed the face of communities as property owners seek to maximise returns on their properties. Hotels aren't happy also!

• I went to Cannes in March for a conference and had an Airbnb in Antibes. Great value for money but so drained my duvet with ink and the charge was €275 for replacement.

Hidden charges must be looked out for
  • Used it four times. Left a bit to be desired on cleanliness on three of those. Do not look under the bed!!!
  • As with suggestion above, I always filter “entire place”. Great for rural and urban needs.

You can get £20 credit for signing up with this link (I get £9):

https://abnb.me/e/jjbJmIqv8M

Go for it!
  • Not used them yet, but when looking I have found the definition of the area you want to be in is a bit liberal.
  • Not used them yet, but when looking I have found the definition of the area you want to be in is a bit liberal.

I looked at Portsmouth once and it thought I might like to stay on the bottom side of the Isle of Wight.

Which is a lot nicer admittedly but wasn't really what I was after.

I looked at Portsmouth once and it thought I might like to stay on the bottom side of the Isle of Wight.

Which is a lot nicer admittedly but wasn't really what I was after.
    Glad it's not just me.
  • Have had nothing but great experiences. Helps that my gf and I spend literally days narrowing down our options before booking
  • Sponsored links:

• Used it a few times, the place we got in Perth (Aus) was brilliant and perfect position. No issue with booking etc.
  • Always stay airbnb. Am in Athens now for 11 days at an airbnb. Never had any problems with using it. Been using airbnb for 5 or 6 years a couple of times a year. Secure payment and booking.
  • I always worry about cleanliness with AirBnb places, but otherwise just follow reviews and trust them. I can't imagine most places carry out deep cleans...
  • Used twice in this country, both times superb. But then I do research the arse off these type of things beforehand, much to my wife’s annoyance.

Pays off though. Never had a bad hotel experience and I’ve used plenty all over the world.
  • Used for our holiday last year in France, one place around Versailles, wasn't great. Two places around Aubeterre were brilliant. Would use again.
  • Always have a look but so far have always managed to find better value in hotels.
  • Always have a look but so far have always managed to find better value in hotels.

Funny enough just having a look now and surprised when you add cleaning charge and service fee it’s generally a lot more expensive than I was expecting

Funny enough just having a look now and surprised when you add cleaning charge and service fee it’s generally a lot more expensive than I was expecting
    Yeah that’s been my experience.

I reckon a couple of years ago it was genuinely good value but now they know everyone thinks it’s cheap so they’ve whacked up the service charges hoping people will automatically think hotels would be more £ due to the reputation.
  • It’s certainly not a ‘fits all’ service and 9 times our of 10 we still use hotels.

For us it offers some unique places, like a beautiful boat house we stayed at on the Norfolk broads. It wasn’t cheap but it was unique and special.

The other time was a lovely house for 4 adults in Falmouth which worked out excellent value pp.
  • Used it to rent a couple of apartments in Downtown Vancouver and Toronto. Went well for us both times, and save a lot vs getting hotels.