Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options
    Bowyer did well but also seemed one-dimensional...4-1-2-1-2 diamond almost every game.

That said, I'd be happy if he got the job. I think he'd learn quickly and develop into a very good manager.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Bowyer did well but also seemed one-dimensional...4-1-2-1-2 diamond almost every game.

That said, I'd be happy if he got the job. I think he'd learn quickly and develop into a very good manager.

Bowyer had to make do with the players that he had available. He couldn't bring anyone in so had to play the best available formation (that wasn't 4231)

And he did very well considering.

Imagine how good he could do if he was given backing and allowed to build his own team.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Charlton needs to be rebuilt. Every aspect of the club needs carefully and considerately to be re-engineered so that it is no longer not fit for purpose. That's not to say that some people and some areas of the club are still delivering well. For example, Olly Groome is doing a great job in my opinion. As are Jason Euell and Steve Avory. But their jobs - and everyone else's - will need reshaping and refocusing and soon - I hope - each role will have a new focus and new energy.

Because the legacy of Roland Duchatalet's embarrassing - for him and for us - ownership of the club is one of broken ineptitude, scatter-gun diplomacy and failure heaped upon failure. We fans don't know what the club is trying to do any more. The staff seem only focused on delivering the latest, direction-changing instruction. And the owner oscillates between blind incompetence and complete disinterest. He's come very close to ruining a great institution and for that reason he should never be forgotten or forgiven.

Despite his cataclysmic ownership, we came within two wins of promotion, bolstered by a manager successfully rebuilding and harnessing a spirit that changed under-performing players into an over-performing team. But a close brush with promotion this season does not guarantee a better return next season. On the contrary, with some of the best players no doubt leaving in the Summer, for various reasons, we're starting from behind square one. Right now, we look in bad shape for next season. But next season's not here and - we hope - a lot of things are going to change between now and then.

What's the point of this post? It's just a bit of gentle encouragement to everyone to look beyond the short-term. If the takeover goes through, we shouldn't judge the new owners on their immediate actions. They'll appoint a permanent manager, no doubt; they'll let some players go; they'll sign some more. All of these will be tiny indications of the success they will deliver. But don't panic if the manager isn't the person you want it to be. Don't worry if the signings aren't as stellar as we might hope. Don't get too concerned if we are mid-table at Christmas.

Because the new owners will have a longer-term plan. They need to hire good people in the key roles: CEO, Chairman, Manager. And those people are going to have to make big, long-term decisions. They will look beyond the fans' immediate horizon. They know that the promotion failure this season is a pity, rather than a disaster. They know that recruitment isn't going to be cheap. And they know hiring the right manager is a crucial component of a long-term plan, not a quick fix method to "improve our ranking" over the next few weeks. They seem to be giving out exactly the right messages; and, from what I have heard (and I have heard no more than anyone else) they seem to be the right sort of people for Charlton.

A five-year plan to get Charlton to the Premier League is very ambitious. That doesn't mean it's unrealistic; but it also means that we shouldn't get down-hearted if it's not accomplished, nor if the method of getting there comprises sliding down snakes as well as clambering up ladders. But it's great to have ambition - something SE7 has lacked during the disastrous Duchatelet years.

Will we be in a better position in a few years' time? Who knows? But, dammit, for what it's worth, I think we will.

For the first time in a very great number of years, I think we're going to be alright.

Thank you Chizz, one of those posts I wish I had written.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    A five year plan to achieve promotion to the PL is very ambitious and if that is indeed the intention of new owners we should all welcome that level of ambition and be excited by it.

It’s two promotions and will be very difficult. I would go further and say that unless that first promotion is achieved this coming season the plan already looks pretty much unacheivable although I agree not impossible.

For me I would expect serious investment in the squad this coming close season. Anything else will ring alarm bells as to the reality of that ambition. At some point to achieve the plan investment will need to be made so why not at the start of the journey.

By kick off I think we’ll have many of the answers if not all of them.

• Options
    TEL said:

bobmunro said:

Awww even their South Stand has a tower block behind it... How sweet

The surroundings look a bit like the Peninsula (there's water anyway).

The plot thickens.

Most Aussie teams dont actually own the grounds they play at...they hire them.
    And amazingly they have this quaint idea of taking a decent rent and/or a share of the ticket revenue instead of letting the club use it for free and have the stadium running costs paid by the taxpayers.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Addickted said:

Phew.

If only Murray had realised how inexperienced Curbishley was and what a car crash was going to happen.

Or the dynamic duo, when they appointed the inexperienced Powell.

Never mind, let's go out and get Pelligrini for £10m.

Now is exactly the right time to appoint a Manager who 'knows' Charlton Athletic Football Club and everything it stands for.

You cannot guarantee success with any manager. But I at least want one who understands how to go down fighting.

I can't think of three better individuals who understand what us getting the double over the spanners would mean.

Curbishley had been managing with Steve Gritt for four years before Murray appointed him sole manager in 1995. The 1991 appointment was driven by Mike Norris and Arnie Warren - Murray has said himself he had little input - and was mainly about saving money. Both Gritt and Curbishley were already on the payroll as players (and part-time coaches).
    So it was Murray who appointed him sole manager?
    Yes, but you were saying he was inexperienced when that happened (in 1995). He had four years’ experience at that point.
  • Options
    cafcwill said:

Simonsen said:

Bowyer had to make do with the players that he had available. He couldn't bring anyone in so had to play the best available formation (that wasn't 4231)

And he did very well considering.

Imagine how good he could do if he was given backing and allowed to build his own team.
    By no means saying I don't want Bowyer, but nobody knows do they. Robinson was very stubbornness in his approach but he signed some very good players and for all the faults of his formation, he signed players to suit that formation and did it reasonably well.

Of course we will never know with Bowyer unless he gets that opportunity but his lack of experience is a concern IMO
  • Options
    Any closer to this actually happening?
  • Options

I heard JJ turned it down as he felt it was not right offering it to him above LB when he was assistant manager. .

We all hear different things. I heard JJ was also open to it and felt that had Katrien still been here it would have been him chosen.

However, not sure of the relevance of any of this now tbh
    Assuming she couldn’t get through to Mr Tumbles by phone as that would have been her first choice...
  • Options
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

A five year plan to achieve promotion to the PL is very ambitious and if that is indeed the intention of new owners we should all welcome that level of ambition and be excited by it.

It’s two promotions and will be very difficult. I would go further and say that unless that first promotion is achieved this coming season the plan already looks pretty much unacheivable although I agree not impossible.

For me I would expect serious investment in the squad this coming close season. Anything else will ring alarm bells as to the reality of that ambition. At some point to achieve the plan investment will need to be made so why not at the start of the journey.

Every owner that buys a football club these days says the same thing unless of course the club is already in the Premiership. I would not read anything into it or get excited by it, stock statement.
    Well I would suggest it’s better than not being interested in results like our current owner. As for every new owner saying that. Perhaps. It’s why I said that we’ll have the answers to most of our questions by kick off. This squad minus Dasilva and Amos have zip chance of getting out of the league we are in. Investment and significant investment will be required. If we see Josh and Nicky plus KAG as three of our front line striking options then the question will have been answered. We need probably 8 - 10 players to get out of league one.

• Options

Every owner that buys a football club these days says the same thing unless of course the club is already in the Premiership. I would not read anything into it or get excited by it, stock statement.
    Every business of every type seems to have a 5 year plan! :lol:
  • Options

Well I would suggest it’s better than not being interested in results like our current owner. As for every new owner saying that. Perhaps. It’s why I said that we’ll have the answers to most of our questions by kick off. This squad minus Dasilva and Amos have zip chance of getting out of the league we are in. Investment and significant investment will be required. If we see Josh and Nicky plus KAG as three of our front line striking options then the question will have been answered. We need probably 8 - 10 players to get out of league one.

GK
    2 FB's
    CM
    Winger
    2 Strikers
    So yeah I would say that's 7 minimum, and that's without losing Konsa and Kashi
  • Options

GK
    2 FB's
    CM
    Winger
    2 Strikers
    9 then.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

GK
    2 FB's
    CM
    Winger
    2 Strikers
    9 then.
    If they go then I would say about 9.
  • Options

He had considered Fish as the sole manager at one point?

This thread is not the plaice for that mate.
    Thinking about this has given me a haddock. Very shellfish of you.
  • Options
    Roll on the Hake - over !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:

Redrobo said:

Addickted said:

Phew.

If only Murray had realised how inexperienced Curbishley was and what a car crash was going to happen.

Or the dynamic duo, when they appointed the inexperienced Powell.

Never mind, let's go out and get Pelligrini for £10m.

Now is exactly the right time to appoint a Manager who 'knows' Charlton Athletic Football Club and everything it stands for.

You cannot guarantee success with any manager. But I at least want one who understands how to go down fighting.

I can't think of three better individuals who understand what us getting the double over the spanners would mean.

SCP was a player coach from 2009. By the time we appointed him in 2011 he had worked as a coach for 3 different managers including Sven.

Powell played at the highest league level and of course was an English international and PFA chairman for 5 years.

Powell also accepted the role of caretaker role at Leicester.

I would not call that inexperienced.

The thin ice of your argument collapsed when you suggest it is either JJ or spending £10 million.

If the only two candidates were JJ and Bows, it would be Bow for me. That said, I would hope they would be looking for the best person for the job that the budget allows. I’ll bet a whole shilling that it is not JJ.
    The thin edge of yours is that you've managed to conveniently forget to acknowledge Curbishley in your post and I'm still trying to find where I mention JJ or indeed spending £10m.
    Curbishley had been joint manager before Murray appointed him, but yes, he was new to management when he was appointed alongside Steve Gritt and that was more about finances and it turned out very well.

Your thread stream before this was all about JJ and thinking he had been offered the interim managers job before Bows. Who the hell were you talking about then FFS? Pardew?

As for not mentioning £10m, have a read of your own post? “Never mind, let’s go out and spend £10m on Peligrini then”.

• Options

This thread is not the plaice for that mate.
    Keep trying, you could become a Dab hand at this
  • Options

Here here... our current incumbent and his ever so popular CEO wanted us to be a player farm, salivate at the prospect of them being a useful player at our club and then in a few years say, "he was great with us, if only we'd kept him. Weird ? Huh ? Please let this change happen this week.... this is going on too friggin long #jolin
  • Options

Codswallop!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Every business of every type seems to have a 5 year plan! :lol:
    Just as long as we don't try for some kind of great leap forward.
  • Options
    Hmmm. Seems we are stuck between a Rock and a hard place

• Options
    There's a lot of haking over old ground and floundering in uncertainty on this thread
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

There's a lot of haking over old ground and floundering in uncertainty on this thread

No pouting now!
  • Options
    FEEEEESSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!