Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Mal said:

Beating 3 of the top 4 is a bit better than average.

offset by losing to Wimbledon and Rochdale
    But he had to try with gobshite players.

I would love to see what he could achieve with his own players
    Give you that, but, if you listen to Louis Mendez and his analogy of the difference when interveiweing Gobshite and Lee, with Scousegit saying 'he's upset the third metarsal, and sustaned impact peripheral muscle damage' to Lees 'he's hurt his foot', this worries me about the motivational ability from Lee. Now, we all know what Lee's like, and he doesnt come over as the brightest spark, and i doubt his motivational skills to get 105 per cent from the team, which is what all 'excellent' managers seem to be able to do.
    I woldnt mind him being manager - i think we could do better - but i think we are too hung up on getting a 'Charlton man'.
    I think it was pretty clear that Lee Bowyer got more from the players by a country mile than any previous manager since Chris Powell.
    Bowyer did well. He was better than average and in the end not quite excellent.

When he took over the squad were demoralised and losing. He changed the formation and got some good games out of previously under-performing players.

In the end a Shewsbury side who finished 16 points ahead of us were, surprise, surprise, better than us. If we'd had Fosu fit it might have been closer but we had to rely on Kaikia and Mavididi, players he didn't sign.

Remember when Lee took over we weren't even looking like making the play-offs.

He won 6, drew 1 and lost 3 of his ten league games. 19 points from a possible 30, just under the two points a game that would have meant promotion over a season and in one of those, Rochdale, we had nothing to play for.

He also lifted the crowd, didn't talk bollocks non-stop (although I thought his "we were the better team" statement in the play-offs was incorrect and only inspired Shrewsbury.

B+
    Agreed, he did a good, but not quite the amazing one some would have us believe. He was good enough that he very much should be inconsideration for the full time position, but not so good that we should assume there can't possibly be a better potential appointment out there.

It's interesting that the thing that changed overall the most, other than a bit of spirit coming back into the side, was our defensive organization and even Bowyer largely credits Jacko with that. I wonder if Jacko might be the real brains behind the operation. Personally I think Jacko actually would be a better fit for the job long term.
    Jacko turned it down, so I doubt he'll want it a few months later.
    Is this true?
    Well I thought so, but can't remember where I read it.
    I wouldn't believe any old person, so thought someone credible said it.
    Fair enough. It's the first I've heard of it. Woukd have thought more would have been made of it if that info was out there.
  • It was definitely on here that someone said that Jackson was offered the role but turned it down, before they turned to Bowyer.

Found that surprising as I thought JJ would see that as a natural progression of his relationship with the Club.

I was hoping if it was true, it was down to the ownership of the Club that made him make his decision.

I do hope that any new owner would approach JJ again, as despite me liking both the Bowyer and SCP alternatives, I really believe JJ would be the best option for us at the current time.
  • Addickted said:

It was definitely on here that someone said that Jackson was offered the role but turned it down, before they turned to Bowyer.

Found that surprising as I thought JJ would see that as a natural progression of his relationship with the Club.

I was hoping if it was true, it was down to the ownership of the Club that made him make his decision.

I do hope that any new owner would approach JJ again, as despite me liking both the Bowyer and SCP alternatives, I really believe JJ would be the best option for us at the current time.

Thanks for that. I'm not going mad or we both are :smile:
  • Redrobo said:

Addickted said:

It was definitely on here that someone said that Jackson was offered the role but turned it down, before they turned to Bowyer.

IF JJ turned it down I suspect it would have been because he is in no way qualified or good enough to do the job at the moment and would know that.

I think you must have been too close to Rolly and his ideas have permeated your brain. This is not the time for a youthful punt. JJ’s time will come, but right now we need a bit of craft and experience to get out of this league.
    Agreed. Same applies to Bowyer.
  • Mal said:

Give you that, but, if you listen to Louis Mendez and his analogy of the difference when interveiweing Gobshite and Lee, with Scousegit saying 'he's upset the third metarsal, and sustaned impact peripheral muscle damage' to Lees 'he's hurt his foot', this worries me about the motivational ability from Lee. Now, we all know what Lee's like, and he doesnt come over as the brightest spark, and i doubt his motivational skills to get 105 per cent from the team, which is what all 'excellent' managers seem to be able to do.
    I woldnt mind him being manager - i think we could do better - but i think we are too hung up on getting a 'Charlton man'.
    I think it was pretty clear that Lee Bowyer got more/ has more motivational abilty, by a country mile than any previous manager since Chris Powell.

I'm astounded anyone could question the motivation ability of a man that turned a team of light weights into a team that won the vast majority of their battles. He absolutely transformed most of the players, who were barely recognisable, from earlier in the season.

Mal said:

I think it was pretty clear that Lee Bowyer got more from the players by a country mile than any previous manager since Chris Powell.
    I dont think that was hard after Gobbo and everyone else we've had - do you?
    Yes, I do think it was hard, extremely hard.
    No one else managed it, no one else even got close.
    Bowyer's motivation skills since he took over were sublime.
    Most fans had written off our chances of making the play offs.

Mal said:

I think it was pretty clear that Lee Bowyer got more/ has more motivational abilty, by a country mile than any previous manager since Chris Powell.

I'm astounded anyone could question the motivation ability of a man that turned a team of light weights into a team that won the vast majority of their battles. He absolutely transformed most of the players, who were barely recognisable, from earlier in the season.
    I dont recall 6 out of 12 being the vast majority.
    I spoke to Patrick Bauer shortly after the Pompey game, and asked him if there was any major difference, and his reply was 'no real difference, aside from playing 2 up front , which seemed to release eveyone into playing a system they could recognise and fit into' - it wasnt rocket science.
    I'm talking about tackling, winning tackles. Players that previously couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag, were winning most of their challenges. If you were there you would have seen it, but you weren't, so you're speaking from a position of ignorance and not best placed to pass judgement.
    As Airman said....... you do talk a load of pompous bollocks.
    37 likes for me v 4 for you on this discussion. It's pretty clear who the majority agree with on whether Bowyer motivated the Charlton players or not.

Sorry for the count up, it's pathetic I know.
    By attending games your arguement was in a position of strength.
  • Addickted said:

Phew.

If only Murray had realised how inexperienced Curbishley was and what a car crash was going to happen.

Or the dynamic duo, when they appointed the inexperienced Powell.

Never mind, let's go out and get Pelligrini for £10m.

Now is exactly the right time to appoint a Manager who 'knows' Charlton Athletic Football Club and everything it stands for.

You cannot guarantee success with any manager. But I at least want one who understands how to go down fighting.

I can't think of three better individuals who understand what us getting the double over the spanners would mean.

Has to be a Charlton man in my opinion. I don't want another chancer from the Football League like Slade or Robinson.
  • Sponsored links:

• Here’s my 2+2=5 re SCP

Out of nowhere an associate who doesn’t know about my one way love affair with SCP asked me if he was a dick .
    After I made him wash his mouth out with soap and water and say the Lord Curbs prayer 3 times I said no he’s a gentlemen .
    He said a fella he works with has a nephew or son or someone who plays at Southend and SCP doesn’t really interact with the players much and is a bit distant .
    I immediately called the character in question a dick and wasn’t having any of it .

Or maybe SCP is distant cos he knows he’s coming Back to The Valley .

Anyway what a load of shit , sorry you had to read it but I haven’t posted for a while .

Manager at the start of next season

15% SCP ...... 25% Lee Lee Lee Bowyer .... 5% Harry Kewell ..... 55% some dullard who will take us nowhere

100% Roland Out

When SCP first came to Charlton he got to the end of the season and then changed virtually the whole playing squad. Maybe he is planning the same and doesnt want to get too close to any players before he brings in his own squad.

I would be extremely surprised if SCP leaves Southend after such a short time. Its just not in his character.
    According to the slp apparently Chris Powell was approached before he got the Southend job, but obviously the takeover took longer than expected and he’s now there.
    No recent approach.
  • cfgs said:

dickplumb said:

Addickted said:

Phew.

If only Murray had realised how inexperienced Curbishley was and what a car crash was going to happen.

Now is exactly the right time to appoint a Manager who 'knows' Charlton Athletic Football Club and everything it stands for.

You cannot guarantee success with any manager. But I at least want one who understands how to go down fighting.

I can't think of three better individuals who understand what us getting the double over the spanners would mean.

Has to be a Charlton man in my opinion. I don't want another chancer from the Football League like Slade or Robinson.
    Why does it have to be a Charlton man? Is Paul Hurst, Mick Mc Carthy, Kenny Jackett etc all chancers?
    I really don't want Mick McCarthy he is on a definite downward curve in management. Rather have someone on the up.
    I don't want him either. But my point was are all non Charlton managers Chancers?

• Addickted said:

Phew.

SCP was a player coach from 2009. By the time we appointed him in 2011 he had worked as a coach for 3 different managers including Sven.

Powell played at the highest league level and of course was an English international and PFA chairman for 5 years.

Powell also accepted the role of caretaker role at Leicester.

I would not call that inexperienced.

The thin ice of your argument collapsed when you suggest it is either JJ or spending £10 million.

If the only two candidates were JJ and Bows, it would be Bow for me. That said, I would hope they would be looking for the best person for the job that the budget allows. I’ll bet a whole shilling that it is not JJ.
  • cfgs said:

dickplumb said:

Addickted said:

Phew.

Why does it have to be a Charlton man? Is Paul Hurst, Mick Mc Carthy, Kenny Jackett etc all chancers?
    I really don't want Mick McCarthy he is on a definite downward curve in management. Rather have someone on the up.
    Downward spiral like Neil Warnock was.....

• Mick McCarthy with all his experience would toughen up our team but also make us boring ,but I think he would get us out of this crap division
  • Mal said:

Bowyer did well. He was better than average and in the end not quite excellent.

When he took over the squad were demoralised and losing. He changed the formation and got some good games out of previously under-performing players.

In the end a Shewsbury side who finished 16 points ahead of us were, surprise, surprise, better than us. If we'd had Fosu fit it might have been closer but we had to rely on Kaikia and Mavididi, players he didn't sign.

Remember when Lee took over we weren't even looking like making the play-offs.

He won 6, drew 1 and lost 3 of his ten league games. 19 points from a possible 30, just under the two points a game that would have meant promotion over a season and in one of those, Rochdale, we had nothing to play for.

He also lifted the crowd, didn't talk bollocks non-stop (although I thought his "we were the better team" statement in the play-offs was incorrect and only inspired Shrewsbury.

B+
    Agreed, he did a good, but not quite the amazing one some would have us believe. He was good enough that he very much should be inconsideration for the full time position, but not so good that we should assume there can't possibly be a better potential appointment out there.

It's interesting that the thing that changed overall the most, other than a bit of spirit coming back into the side, was our defensive organization and even Bowyer largely credits Jacko with that. I wonder if Jacko might be the real brains behind the operation. Personally I think Jacko actually would be a better fit for the job long term.
    Jacko turned it down, so I doubt he'll want it a few months later.
    Is this true?
    Well I thought so, but can't remember where I read it.
    I wouldn't believe any old person, so thought someone credible said it.
    Colin?
  • dickplumb said:

Addickted said:

Phew.

True. I just think we perform better with someone who has a connection to the club.
  • @Covered End I believe I remember seeing that Jackson didn’t exactly turn it down, but he didn’t want to take it on at that specific time. He found the role he had this past season challenging, going from player mode to coaching mode as such.

I don’t think it would’ve been right or fair, and I think he felt the same when he knew he was retiring from playing, so it was pretty much a mutual agreement that it was best for Bowyer to take charge.

The original story was that Jackson would take charge for the remaining games when a Robinson left, but once Bowyer got the job, I think there may have been an article on the South London Press website explaining all and why they agreed as a club at the time for Jackson not to take the caretaker role. - I may be wrong on that however.

We all know how hard it has been for him to hang up his boots for good, and taking the role would’ve meant we wouldn’t have seen him again from that moment onwards. So to allow the best decision for someone to be solely and completely focused on being manager at that time, Bowyer was the most logical decision.
  • Sponsored links:

• doronron said:

Mick McCarthy with all his experience would toughen up our team but also make us boring ,but I think he would get us out of this crap division

If I’m honest, sounds like exactly what we need!
  • cfgs said:

dickplumb said:

Addickted said:

Phew.

Downward spiral like Neil Warnock was.....

Warnock wasn't on a downward spiral he simply doesn't like ego riddled players in the Prem.
  • edited May 2018
    Addickted said:

Phew.

Curbishley had been managing with Steve Gritt for four years before Murray appointed him sole manager in 1995. The 1991 appointment was driven by Mike Norris and Arnie Warren - Murray has said himself he had little input - and was mainly about saving money. Both Gritt and Curbishley were already on the payroll as players (and part-time coaches).
  • doronron said:

Mick McCarthy with all his experience would toughen up our team but also make us boring ,but I think he would get us out of this crap division

If I’m honest, sounds like exactly what we need!
    I wouldnt moan if he was appointed manager.

Don't get me wrong, Bowyer has certainly earned the right to be considered for the job. Yes the games we lost under him were lost poorly without much fight but he dragged us out of a pretty shit situation.

McCarthy will be a good fit for this league. Loves a physical team and plus wont take no shit from players.

Any of those 2 would be good unless theres a curveball...just not Harry Kewell though.
  • I heard JJ turned it down as he felt it was not right offering it to him above LB when he was assistant manager. .
  • I can’t believe that JJ was offered the job ahead of Bows. Nothing to do with ability, but that would left Bows in a very difficult position and I think he would have left, which would have been a huge mess.
  • I heard JJ turned it down as he felt it was not right offering it to him above LB when he was assistant manager. .

We all hear different things. I heard JJ was also open to it and felt that had Katrien still been here it would have been him chosen.

However, not sure of the relevance of any of this now tbh
  • Addickted said:

Phew.

Sorry mate, sounds too much like the RD mentality of keeping it within a small circle of known contacts. I'd like to see us going for the best available on our Budget with a track record of success. Bowyer has certainly earned the right to throw his hat into the ring, but the priority should be promotion, not maintaining a set of ex players in important postions at the club.
  • Redrobo said:

Addickted said:

Phew.

SCP was a player coach from 2009. By the time we appointed him in 2011 he had worked as a coach for 3 different managers including Sven.

Powell played at the highest league level and of course was an English international and PFA chairman for 5 years.

Powell also accepted the role of caretaker role at Leicester.

I would not call that inexperienced.

The thin ice of your argument collapsed when you suggest it is either JJ or spending £10 million.

If the only two candidates were JJ and Bows, it would be Bow for me. That said, I would hope they would be looking for the best person for the job that the budget allows. I’ll bet a whole shilling that it is not JJ.
    The thin edge of yours is that you've managed to conveniently forget to acknowledge Curbishley in your post and I'm still trying to find where I mention JJ or indeed spending £10m.
  • Addickted said:

Phew.

Curbishley had been managing with Steve Gritt for four years before Murray appointed him sole manager in 1995. The 1991 appointment was driven by Mike Norris and Arnie Warren - Murray has said himself he had little input - and was mainly about saving money. Both Gritt and Curbishley were already on the payroll as players (and part-time coaches).
    So it was Murray who appointed him sole manager?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!