Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Camping

Comments

• Options
    If anyone fancies completely getting away from it all I can recommend Hole Station campsite in Devon www.freewebs.com/holestationcampsite/

Adults only site so no kids to wake you up in the morning and you can take your own tent or hire one of the pre-erected ones.

Bit different from normal camp sites, pitches set in clearings in a wood so you don't really see your next door neighbours but very peaceful and relaxing.

Facilities are basic (compost toilets) but they do have showers and you can have a proper camp fire (although you should in theory only use the wood they have sold you!).

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Thanks for the tips - looking for New Forest sort of way for the days mentioned above but always good to get ideas for other weeks etc.

• Options
    Think maybe I'm just not quite used to how prices triple etc in kids summer holidays etc, this will be the first time looking.
  • Options

Think maybe I'm just not quite used to how prices triple etc in kids summer holidays etc, this will be the first time looking.</blockquote

Stayed at Lower Penderleith Farm near St Ives last August, it's basic but was £12 a night for 3 of us, loads of space for kids to run around and a regular bus to St Ives right outside

• Options
    Camping always sounds fun until you do it.

Go to a holiday park with entertainment or like you say Travelodge/Premier Inn - basically anywhere you have your own toilet facilities.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Camping always sounds fun until you do it.

Go to a holiday park with entertainment or like you say Travelodge/Premier Inn - basically anywhere you have your own toilet facilities.

I was looking at sites with toilets, showers etc!
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Any recommendations for sites within an hour drive (Kent, Sussex) Good for kids?
  • Options

Any recommendations for sites within an hour drive (Kent, Sussex) Good for kids?

Not stayed there myself but you can camp at the Hop Farm, which is great for kids.
  • Options

Not stayed there myself but you can camp at the Hop Farm, which is great for kids.
    thought the Eureka Sun Club in Fawkham would be more your type of place...
  • Options
    Ukcampsite.co.uk is good for all sorts of info.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

we're off to Broadhembury (near Ashford) this Friday for 5 nights - taking our touring Caravan, will let you know what it's like.....has got cracking reviews and the weather forecast is good (which is half of it)
  • Options
    Yeah I’d recommend Wowo Camping near Uckfield. You can have a fire by your pitch, there’s a petting farm, there’s loss of space for the kids and rope swings off loads of trees, they have live music in the Teepee at weekends.

It’s often full.
  • Options
    Try long meadow campsite in Brockenhurst ! Has clean showers and toilets , backs on to the forest and half hour off road walk to loads of great pubs
  • Options

Try long meadow campsite in Brockenhurst ! Has clean showers and toilets , backs on to the forest and half hour off road walk to loads of great pubs

2 night min unfortunately, I'm looking at one night each end of our trip.

Thank you though.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Good luck to the campers, but I'll never appreciate the enjoyment.
    I mean if it's good, why do we all have a lovely bed and bedroom ?
    Why don't we just sleep in the garden ?
  • Options
    Im touring at the moment. We have a Motorhome which we tour around in when we are at home. Prices have varied greatly and so have the facilities, The best sites have been Caravan & Motorhome sites in terms of price and facilities....usually spotless, but mostly very busy and average around 20 pounds a night. The one we stayed at in Shrewsbury was very nice (Cartref) and 20 pounds per night and Shrewsbury is a lovely area, football apart. We stayed one night on a farm near Keswick which was 25 pounds and awful apart from the view which was pretty good if you overlooked all the farm debris and a shower in a rough old pig pen but it was a needs must stop as there was little to no competition in the lower lakes. I'm currently at Invercoe (Glencoe) and its the most expensive so far at 28.50 per night....fantastic all round views but ropey-ish facilities. We went for a lovely long walk today, but when we returned some twat decided to park his caravan right next to ours when there was plenty of space to even park 5 to 10 metres away, but no, he is a car width away, then he proceeds to put up an awning, and the guide ropes are literally 12 inches from my van......oh well, we will move on tomorrow otherwise Id have had to have a word.
  • Options

You can't take your house with you when you go away though can you? :smile:

We're going to to Devon and Cornwall in August as my wife and I haven't been since she was pregnant with our first child. We are staying in 2 separate locations on sites with clean toilets, hot showers, washing machines, restaurants, bars, fresh water and electrical hook up on every pitch. You don't really need to slum it too much to go camping these days. Tents are a lot better made than they once were, even things like air beds or camp beds are much more comfortable than you might remember.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Because some people like the outdoors (weirdos, copyright @oohaahmortimer ).

More importantly, for the rest of us it’s the most cost effective type of break. Which sometimes is the difference of going away / not going away.
    We did caravans in Cornwall/Dorset for a few years, when ours were young and that was bearable (just), but sleeping in a tent no chance.
    I'd rather stay at home.

Good luck to all that enjoy it though/bear with it out of necessity.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

More importantly, for the rest of us it’s the most cost effective type of break. Which sometimes is the difference of going away / not going away.
    We did caravans in Cornwall/Dorset for a few years, when ours were young and that was bearable (just), but sleeping in a tent no chance.
    I'd rather stay at home.

Not sure I'd do it for long, but for a few days it's a good base to go and explore somewhere else.
  • Options

Love it!

• Options
    edited May 2018

I'd rather stay at home.

Caravan for a week in Devon in August on a half decent park is approx £1.2k to £2k
  • Options
    Too many years of camping in the woods with the 21st Lewisham North Scouts in the pissing rain have put me off camping for life.

I was 30 at the time mind.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

My family motto is "Notis un you lifeio"
    Which translated means, if you don't have a concierge I'm not coming in. ;)

I'm honestly surprised by that - obviously don't know you personally TCE but from what I know on here could have easily seen you being the walk in the woods, camp/caravan, night sitting around outside with a drink type... all with the dogs obviously!
  • Options
    We bought a 6 berth touring caravan last year, store it down near brands hatch, absolutely love it - kids can’t get enough of going away in it.

Caravan club sites are superb and great for the little ones.

Normally get away half a dozen times a year in it (2/3 night weekends + 1 proper holiday) off to south of France in August. Can be as cheap/ expensive as you want to make it.

We’ve got family who do it too so go in a big group. Kids spend the whole time riding bikes and playing without an iPad in sight

We are happy sitting around eating and drinking and having a fire at night

It’s not for everyone but for anyone with kids who hasn’t done it, trust me they’ll love it
  • Options

I'd rather stay at home.

Caravan for a week in Devon in August on a half decent park is approx £1.2k to £2k
    How much would a B&B cost ?
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Love it!

You cannot be serious. Are they really your tents ?
    I've seen better settings in refugee camps :wink:

NB I'd be a bit concerned about getting murdered in the night by an axe wielding maniac as well.
  • Options

Love it!

You cannot be serious. Are they really your tents ?
    I've seen better settings in refugee camps :wink:
    Certainly are. I took my nephew to show him some mountains. I go to the Cairngorms whenever I can.