Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2018 FIFA World Cup Thread

Comments

• Options

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44197670

No Morata in Spain's squad, but amazingly Marcos Alonso is left out whereas Monreal is included. Don't get that

Monreal has had a good season to be fair.

• Options
    Goalkeepers: David De Gea (Manchester United), Pepe Reina (Napoli), Kepa (Athletic Bilbao)

Defenders: Dani Carvajal, Sergio Ramos, Nacho (all Real Madrid), Jordi Alba, Gerard Pique (both Barcelona), Nacho Monreal (Arsenal), Cesar Azpilicueta (Chelsea), Odriozola (Real Sociedad)

Midfield: Sergio Busquets, Andres Iniesta (both Barcelona) Saúl, Koke (both Atletico), Thiago (Bayern) Silva (Manchester City),
    Isco, Marco Asensio, Lucas Vázquez (all Real Madrid)

Forward: Iago Aspas (Celta), Rodrigo (Valencia), Diego Costa (Atletico)

Not bad I s'pose.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

A : Uruguay, Egypt, Russia, Saudi Arabia

B : Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Iran

C : France, Denmark, Peru, Australia

D : Argentina, Croatia, Nigeria, Iceland

E : Brazil, Switzerland, Serbia, Costa Rica

F : Germany, Mexico, South Korea, Sweden,

G : Belgium, England, Tunisia, Panama

H : Poland, Colombia, Japan, Senegal

Id go with Iceland over Croatia...

Wouldnt rule out both getting through though
  • Options
    Totally change my prediction now, Belgium will do well but if they start Witsel and Fellaini against us for example, I think we could beat them.

Very surprised about Morata, he hasn’t been fantastic at all but come on, he was a key player for them in the last Euro’s.

Some very big players left out this summer. Germany, France, Spain, Belgium, there are big players who won’t be in Russia from those four nations alone.
  • Options

Goalkeepers: David De Gea (Manchester United), Pepe Reina (Napoli), Kepa (Athletic Bilbao)

Defenders: Dani Carvajal, Sergio Ramos, Nacho (all Real Madrid), Jordi Alba, Gerard Pique (both Barcelona), Nacho Monreal (Arsenal), Cesar Azpilicueta (Chelsea), Odriozola (Real Sociedad)

Midfield: Sergio Busquets, Andres Iniesta (both Barcelona) Saúl, Koke (both Atletico), Thiago (Bayern) Silva (Manchester City),
    Isco, Marco Asensio, Lucas Vázquez (all Real Madrid)

Forward: Iago Aspas (Celta), Rodrigo (Valencia), Diego Costa (Atletico)

Not bad I s'pose.

6 Real, only 4 from Barcelona
  • Options
    Aspas is one to watch out for. Top scoring Spaniard in La Liga this season.
  • Options
    So many good players missing from the WC this year.
  • Options

Laddick01 said:

dizzee said:

Laddick01 said:

France's 23 man squad NOT going is better than Englands going(apart from GK)

On paper you’d say that looks better but I doubt you’ve watched many of these players. Quite a few have had dreadful seasons

If that French 23 was English it’d be getting ripped apart for containing players on terrible form ffs
    A lot of them have not had bad seasons at all. Kondogbia has been brilliant along with Rabiot and many more.
    If Welbeck has performed like Martial he’d be in the reserves
    If Henderson had performed like bakoyoko there’d be outrage
    Benzema might play for the best team in the world but he’s nowhere near Kane’s level

England don’t have a great squad but it’s reached a point where our players are being unfairly judged because of the English stigma
    Really?!
    I’m not saying Benzema is a terrible footballer, he isn’t, his problem is consistency.
    As a striker you need to be able to put the ball in the net, Benzema, despite being surrounded by world class players, does not do that enough.
    Lewandowski, Suarez and Kane are on a different level to any other out and out striker in the world
  • Options
    dizzee said:

So many good players missing from the WC this year.

At least none of them are English.
  • Options
    has anyone got one of those free excel predictor things, that works the whole shebang for you when you put your predictions in ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just for fun here's a couple of England XI's that didn't make the final 23

Heaton
    Bertrand, Smalling, Keane, Sessegnon
    Lallana, Shelvey, Wilshire, Townsend,
    Walcott, Defoe

And another;

Hart
    Baines, Jagielka, Gomez, Clyne
    Milner, Rooney, Barkley, Ox-Chamberlain
    Carroll, Sturridge

Had to throw in a few injuries/recent retirees to make up the numbers for the second 11 there.

Doesn't really compare to Spain/France's left out players, but probably just as strong as who we have taken out there to be fair (Kane/Walker/Dele aside)
  • Options
    He’s definitely reaching with a few of those. Saying Morata didn’t make it is like saying Deeney could of made ours. He’s had a shocking season. I mean come on, David Villa plays in the MLS.
  • Options

He’s definitely reaching with a few of those. Saying Morata didn’t make it is like saying Deeney could of made ours. He’s had a shocking season. I mean come on, David Villa plays in the MLS.
    Really??

Morata 11 in 31
    Deeney 5 in 29

Morata hasnt had a fantastic season but is far far better than Deeney.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

I don’t understand all the comments saying ‘First time in ages there’s no expectations from England’. I’ve felt like that for years. 2006 was probably the last time I thought we had a real chance. And even that was immature naivety.

I understand the comments.

Maybe not you personally.

But I remember the weeks leading into Euro 2016 and World Cup 2014 the media people over social.media everyone was saying this could be are year and the expection was really high.

However this year I havent seen anyone day that and most people expect us out in the 2nd round
  • Options

Heaton
    Walcott, Defoe

And another;

Hart
    Carroll, Sturridge

Had to throw in a few injuries/recent retirees to make up the numbers for the second 11 there.

Doesn't really compare to Spain/France's left out players, but probably just as strong as who we have taken out there to be fair (Kane/Walker/Dele aside)

Lookman as well!

Jay Rodrigez and Ashley Barnes would be alternative strikers
  • Options

Really??

Morata 11 in 31
    Deeney 5 in 29

Morata hasnt had a fantastic season but is far far better than Deeney.
    Morata is meant to be the leading striker for a top 5 prem team. In terms of expectation and form, my original comment still stands.
  • Options

Heaton
    Walcott, Defoe

And another;

Hart
    Carroll, Sturridge

Lookman as well!

Cant really count Barnes as I dont know if he's declared his allegiance to England

He did play for Austria U20s a few years ago and think their officials were over here this season to keep an eye on him
  • Options

Heaton
    Walcott, Defoe

And another;

Hart
    Carroll, Sturridge

Lookman as well!

Cant really count Barnes as I dont know if he's declared his allegiance to England

He did play for Austria U20s a few years ago and think their officials were over here this season to keep an eye on him
    Austria want him.

But until he applies for an Austrian passport they cant call him up.

So I think its clear he doesnt want to play for them lol
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am setting up a World Cup sweepstake at work and planning to do one of those handicap ones to give people a chance of winning something even if they pick a dud. Anyone done one of these or doing one and what do you think a reasonable achievement would be for each team?

I.e Spain, Brazil, Germany - win the tournament
    Portugal, Belgium - final
    England, Colombia - semis
    Switzerland, Croatia - quarters
    Panama, Japan - get out of group

Be interested in anyone's suggestions for a good setup for this sweepstake.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Heaton
    Walcott, Defoe

And another;

Hart
    Carroll, Sturridge

Out of those 22 you mentioned, I’d probably consider 7 of them to be in contention to be England players in the immediate future. Shows how small the pool of England players we currently have that many others lack the quality to be represented on the international stage.

Those 7 being... Smalling, Gomez, Bertrand, Lallana, Shelvey, Wilshere, Oxlade-Chamberlain

Sessegnon will be an international player, Keane too with the right coaching. But the rest in my opinion are either passed it, injury prone, or just not good enough.

Ones you haven’t mentioned would be Lewis Cook and Tarkowski too, both had good seasons.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

I am setting up a World Cup sweepstake at work and planning to do one of those handicap ones to give people a chance of winning something even if they pick a dud. Anyone done one of these or doing one and what do you think a reasonable achievement would be for each team?

I.e Spain, Brazil, Germany - win the tournament
    Portugal, Belgium - final
    England, Colombia - semis
    Switzerland, Croatia - quarters
    Panama, Japan - get out of group

Be interested in anyone's suggestions for a good setup for this sweepstake.

If you go purely off the odds of each team to win their group then how about the below:

Outsider for each group - get out of the group. (Saudi Arabia, Iran, Australia, Iceland, Costa Rica, South Korea, Panama, Japan)
    Third favourite for each group - quarter final. (Egypt, Morocco, Peru, Nigeria, Serbia, Sweden, Tunisia, Senegal)
    Second favourite for each group - semi final. (Russia, Portugal, Denmark, Croatia, Switzerland, Mexico, England, Poland)

To split the remaining eight favourites to win their group, I looked up the odds of each team winning the tournament outright:

4th-8th favourite to win - final (Uruguay, Argentina, Belgium, Colombia)
    1st-4th favourite to win - win the tournament (Spain, France, Brazil, Germany)

Or is that too relaxed?

• Options

Heaton
    Walcott, Defoe

And another;

Hart
    Carroll, Sturridge

Lookman as well!

Austria want him.

But until he applies for an Austrian passport they cant call him up.

So I think its clear he doesnt want to play for them lol
    Given the choice, I'm sure he'd love to play for England I'm sure.

Ryan Shawcross could have played for Wales, but only wanted to play for England.
  • Options

I get stick from my mates everytime i say it, but i still believe Rooney is comfortably still in the best 5 English player currently still playing. Kane, Alli, Sterling & Vardy are the only ones better imo. 10 goals in 31 is a good return from central midfield in a pretty poor Everton side

He's shite now.

Gives the ball away about 20 times a game.
  • Options
    Nainggolan has just retired from international football after being snubbed
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

I don’t understand all the comments saying ‘First time in ages there’s no expectations from England’. I’ve felt like that for years. 2006 was probably the last time I thought we had a real chance. And even that was immature naivety.

Agree totally re 2006.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Sage said:

Heaton
    Walcott, Defoe

And another;

Hart
    Carroll, Sturridge

Out of those 22 you mentioned, I’d probably consider 7 of them to be in contention to be England players in the immediate future. Shows how small the pool of England players we currently have that many others lack the quality to be represented on the international stage.

Those 7 being... Smalling, Gomez, Bertrand, Lallana, Shelvey, Wilshere, Oxlade-Chamberlain

Sessegnon will be an international player, Keane too with the right coaching. But the rest in my opinion are either passed it, injury prone, or just not good enough.

Ones you haven’t mentioned would be Lewis Cook and Tarkowski too, both had good seasons.
    To be honest I was basing the picks on previous international experience and players who have played or have the potential to play in champions league since I was sort of comparing to the players tweeted about in French and Spanish squads who had been left out - but my take is yeah the 7 you mentioned plus Sessengon would not have looked out of place in the squad going to Russia as is - i'd add Heaton to that list if he had not gotten injured and missed so much of the year and agree on your assessment of Keane too.

My take on some of the others; Think Barkley, Sturridge, Walcott still have something to offer England in the future, granted all three have had poor seasons (mainly injury) but all they need is a decent unbroken run in their respective sides and they are all right back in the frame for me - the ability is there and all three are game-changers on their day.

I'd say all the rest have played their last games for England at this point - although looking at the attacking options we have taken with us, Defoe and/or Carroll could have been a slightly different option that Southgate may regret not having if we are looking for a goal with 10 to go and only having Wellbeck or Rashford to call on - they aren't exactly the type you can lump it up to, or lethal enough of a finisher as Defoe to sniff out a chance by being in the right place at the right time. Time will tell on that one though.