Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The further adventures of Viktoria Plzen

Comments

• I opened this thread thinking it was about a hot European supermodel.

Disappointed.

@LargeAddick cracked that joke some three years ago.

Disappointed :-)

PS 7 points clear at the top with a 100% record. In the Europa League group stage. Thanks for asking

• I opened this thread thinking it was about a hot European supermodel.

Disappointed.

@LargeAddick cracked that joke some three years ago.

Disappointed :-)

PS 7 points clear at the top with a 100% record. In the Europa League group stage. Thanks for asking

Must admit haven't read anymore than the first couple of sentences of the first post.

I'll take any cheap lols of anyone wants to throw them my way...
  • Apologies all - I bumped this to praise the performance of Slovakia's goalkeeper who plays for Viktoria, only to realise it was some other bloke because the normal guy's injured!
  • se9addick said:

Apologies all - I bumped this to praise the performance of Slovakia's goalkeeper who plays for Viktoria, only to realise it was some other bloke because the normal guy's injured!

Actually it looks like Dubravka, tonight's keeper, is first choice for Slovakia now. He plays for Sparta Prague. AFAIK Kozacik isn't injured, hope not.

• I got all excited reading the first few remarks on this thread before realising they were six years old. Good thread about what footie should be all about, though, keep it up PA, and thanks.

• This is how you tear up a league. This, their 13th straight win was against their biggest threat, Slavia Prague, whose main sponsor now is the Chinese State. There are people seriously saying the title is already theirs.

• Norman Tebbit cricket test for you young @PragueAddick !

Viktoria Plzen v Charlton Athletic or the other way round.

Where would your loyalties lie?
  • LenGlover said:

Norman Tebbit cricket test for you young @PragueAddick !

Viktoria Plzen v Charlton Athletic or the other way round.

Where would your loyalties lie?

No contest. Of course, we are no longer young. Years of history, the sense of "home" no matter how far away you are, mean that no other club can replace it. Literally "Charlton til I die".

The poignant aspect of your question is that when my buddy from Plzen first started interesting me in their story, our dream was that little provincial Viktoria with the great academy (Cech, Nedved), could become a kind of feeder club for the mighty Premier League Charlton...
  • You know, us lifelong Charlton fans, we've never had the chance to really take the piss, have we?

So I really enjoyed tweeting this string

("Chudak" = poor little sod, what you say when your dog looks mournfully at you when you don't give him a taste of your dinner)
  • I keep a close eye on the Czech league after watching loads of games when I lived there. Never managed to see Slavia at their 'new' ground as they were playing up in Strahov the years I was living there. Most friends were Sparta fans but I used to enjoy going to Viktoria Zizkov. Great little club and ground and I remember particularly how many rare club badges the stalls used to sell outside the ground, as well as the famous half time sausage with mustard. Still keep an eye on them in the second division, and am following their game at the moment (currently 0-0)!
  • Sponsored links:

• What happened today 0-0
  • What happened today 0-0

But they did qualify for the Europa League knockout stage on Thursday night, and as I know from experience, on such nights the players have been known to turn up in the pub next to the ground to join in the epic celebrations.
  • edited March 2018
    The Europa League may be sneered at in England, but tonight I've been here to enjoy one of the best live games I've seen for years, even though Viktorka went out, guns blazing to the end.

I love the atmosphere of these games here. If you imagine European football coming to Barnsley, that's about it. The whole city is up for it, but in a humble way.

Viktoria were 2-0 down from the first leg, and it seemed to me that at last their ageing team had run up against a much younger team with loads of talent. But a first half goal could make all the difference. It came on just 6 minutes and the place was rocking. But Sporting decided to play high up and Viktoria created few more chances in the first half.

Second half was the business. Sporting continued to attack and missed some good chances but Viktoria seemed to get a hold on them as the half wore on. after a golden chance went begging, they bagged the second goal, and the place went predictably ballistic ( all 10k of them). They continued to dominate, but it looked like both sides were settling for extra time, until the ref, who had been shite all evening gave Sporting a penalty that replays showed were a complete joke. It is 90+2. Sporting's Bas Dost has scored 29 in 30. I am thinking, what a shit way to lose. But Bas Dost puts it down the middle too casually, and keeper Hruska saves it . Place goes mental

Extra time and Viktoria dominate, but as the first period goes into extra time of one minute, Sporting are pressing. A player is down then there is a corner. Sporting score. 105+3 according to Live Score. Then the ref blows for the break. the stadium goes completely silent, like I never heard before. Because Viktoria now need two goals. Typical Viktoria, they give it a real go, it was never going to happen but the crowd are singing versions of "we're proud of you" all the way to the end.

And then it is back to my buddy's new pub in the centre, everyone consoling themselves with the fantastic beer and watching the highlights on the tv.

That's the Europa League, in a small city in the heart of Europe.
  • Prague

Sounds like a great night even though you lost.

That's what football is all about, the whole town behind team, taking on the big boys and matching them, memories you have forever.

Good luck to them for the rest of the season.

• Championes again! 7points ahead of Slavia with one game to go. UCL football plus the best draught beer in the world for me next season. Now if only they would ditch the current shirt and revert to something more red, everything would be perfect.
  • No idea what happened (i assume complacency), but they seemingly had a bit of a meltdown.

Won all of their first 14 games.............then won only 4 of the next 14.

Should've had it wrapped up weeks ago but somehow it went to the penultimate game.
  • No idea what happened (i assume complacency), but they seemingly had a bit of a meltdown.

Won all of their first 14 games.............then won only 4 of the next 14.

Should've had it wrapped up weeks ago but somehow it went to the penultimate game.

That's right, and a reason why I had not been pushing this thread recently :-). My buddy who is normally the most positive person on the planet was very nervous on Friday. The Viktoria captain is his next door neighbour and assured him it would all be OK. Me, I mentioned Charlton in 2000, and also pointed out that the team visiting Slavia, Jablonec, had skin in the game; and on that at least I was right, Jablonec went 3-0 up in the first half hour and never looked back.

It all seemed to go wrong after that epic Sporting Lisbon tie. They were still way ahead in the league but somehow it knocked the stuffing out of them. I suppose its a question, how do you motivate a team that is so far ahead in the league, in March? Shows you what a fantastic job Guardiola has done at City, I think.

• Utterly terrifying line up, viewed from the Doosan Arena. But what nights they will be when the big boys come to Plzen...

• If thats the teams that are already in the Group Stages of the Champions League, how many places are left for the Qualifying teams?

Its just become even more of an old boys club now that Tournament!!
  • That's 26 teams listed above and the group stage is 8 groups of 4 so only 6 places left for the teams that go through the qualifying rounds.

As you say it's now an old boys club and is getting boring.

How many more times can BT have a wankfest over Barcelona playing an English team?
  • Sponsored links:

• Without hijacking the thread, whats a joke is the way the rules get decided

i.e. Man City like others can now put pressure on UEFA to ensure that the Champions League remains favourable for them and their revenue, yet not 20-years ago were playing Gillingham in the third tier... What gives them (or any club) the right to dictate terms like that!!
  • Shows you how far Dutch football has fallen that they don't even have an automatic qualifier these days.

The 6 places left for the group stages are:

4 winners from the play-off round (Champions Path)
    2 winners from the play-off round (League Path)
  • So the Czech season started last night, and Viktoria were starting it just down the road from me at Dukla. Attached a couple of photos to show just how weird the modern Dukla footie experience is. There is basically just one big stand in use, but it does offer epic views over Prague. The away fans are in some enclosure off to the left (sorry that the second picture is too dark to show exactly how far left. But they are to the left of the left hand goal line. Totally unacceptable, really. No matter, a lot of Viktoria fans in full colours bought seats in the main stand, and nobody minded at all. Our tickets cost just over £6. The attendance was 5,024. That is double what Dukla usually get and despite it being live on cable TV. Probably 1,200 or more from Plzen which is only a an easy hour or so drive away.

I kept reminding myself, the team in red is a group stage UCL club that will put their feet up while the likes of Ajax struggle through the qualifiers. (Which of course is a fantastic achievement by Viktoria, because UEFA doesn't really want minnows like them polluting the group stages).

As for the game, in the first half Viktoria were dire, as if their heads were still on the beach and they were a goal down well into the second half, then the coach lost patience, made a double sub, and suddenly the old Viktoria started cutting Dukla to pieces, the lead overturned in two minutes, and eventually they won 3-1.

And 15 minutes later my neighbour Mad Vincent and I were sitting in the garden of our local pub. Different world...
  • Where are Dukla playing since they came back and have they still got the same fanbase as in their glory days? When I lived there (2003-2004) they were out of business but I did read they brought back the team.

I was always a Viktoria Zizkov fan and had some good times at their ground as well as a few games at Bohemians and Slavia when they were playing at Strahov.

Seem to remember badge sellers at lots of grounds - is that still a big thing there?
  • Hi @CharltonMadrid , yes they finally returned to "Juliska", when a guy bought the club back off some provincial gangster who had taken them to his home town, and re-named them to boot. 2008, I think. But the ground is a well-kept shadow of its former self, judging by photos I have seen.

But no one liked them, and nobody does now. Army team, which conscripted the best players from the other clubs. Now happy clappy families mainly living in one of Prague's most swanky districts where the ground sits.

Not sure about the badges, rings a bell though. I'll keep a lookout.

• edited July 2018
    Visited bohemians ground last week whilst in Prague.
    As far as I could work out the dearest adult ticket in the main (only) stand was about £8 with the rest priced at £5.50.
    Bar the main stand, the ground is very run down.
  • Good fans, Bohemians, constantly fighting to preserve their club and the right to play there. Very complicated. As I understand it City Hall owns the stadium but who owns the land it sits on, is less clear.

I went down there a few years back to meet their commercial people, and had the honour to meet Antonin Panenka. bohemians was his club and he works for them now ( or did then). Of course I tried to explain him in Czech that "doing a Panenka" has passed into our language. I think it was not quite the first time he'd heard it, but he was very gracious about it:-)
  • Load the tanks! the copper 🍺🍺🍺 tanks of Pilsner Urquell that is, because Viktoria just clinched the title tonight. Rangers sympathisers such as @se9addick have a good excuse to join me, as it ends three straight years of Slavia's domination. What's worse for Slavia is that now the Czech league has a ridiculous extension similar to the Belgian one. Had the season ended  after the normal 30 games, Slavia would have been champions, but they then inexplicably lost 4-3 to the weakest team in the play-off group. Then they and Viktoria met and Slavia thought they'd clinched the title when the ref gave them a highly dubious penalty on 91', despatched by your old mate Ondrej Kudela. But then on 95' he gave an equally dubious one to Viktorka and they never looked back. Sparta? Poor third, sacked their manger, usual offended sense of entitlement.

Viktoria are the only Czech team to get a UCL spot (4th qualifier) as the Czechs have lost a place. Something to do with the coefficient, as always. So something to look forward to in the autumn, even if it'll probably be only Europa League. 
  • Congrats to Viktoria, best of luck to them in Europe next season! 
  • Love it when I see this thread title pop up every few years