Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Perthes Disease

Anyone know anything about it, or had experience of it ?

Comments

• not a huge amount apart from it being mainly a children's disease to do with the hip socket. most cases are individual based, also depending on how the doctor usually approaches the treatment. so there's lots of ways to try to solve the issue. bed rest, swimming, operation, braces, crutches.

• just found site of the support charity with more info. got a phone number on that to ask more questions as well.

https://www.perthes.org.uk/what-is-perthes-disease/
  • Does it only affect Australian children?
  • Does it only affect Australian children?

Sorry Nick, but not the sort of comment I would like on this.
  • My son, who is afflicted with this, turns 14 in June, and they have decided now to operate next month - fairly intrusive......strangely , though it affects the hip - the op is to scrape the inside of the growth plate in his knee - meaning hospitalisation for a week, and crutches for maybe a month.
    I've suggested the last week in May might be the better week for the op !
  • Thank you SHG - much appreciated.
  • Best wishes to your son TP and to you and your family who will be by his side. Being a father and a grandfather myself it’s never easy when a younger member of the family is unwell however the upside of that is the young are more resilient than us oldies and they heal quicker so I am sure he will be back to normal in no time
  • Thanks Mike. Appreciated.
  • I’d never heard of it @The_President. Having looked it up, there does seem to be debate as to whether it will self heal or if not surgery may be required.

If you have any doubts about the treatment recommended, try and get a second opinion?

Best of luck to your son and hope the treatment is a success.
  • Sponsored links:

• My younger son was diagnosed with it when he was about 5 or 6 but fortunately it wasn't severe and didn't give him too much trouble. He didn't need braces, crutches or any form of intrusive treatment. The bone in the hip socket largely reformed over a couple of years and the problem went away, although we were warned he may need a hip replacement much later in life. He's in his mid-20s now and it's never given any bother whatsoever, to the point that he's not conscious of there ever having been a condition.

As @Karim_myBagheri said, each of these cases tends to be different and I suppose it partly also depends up what age the Perthes manifests itself. All the very best for your son's treatment @The_President and I hope he makes a swift and complete recovery
  • Best wishes to you and your boy TP.
  • Never heard of it, but I wish your son a speedy recovery from a successful operation.
  • Best wishes to you and your boy xx
  • Good luck to your son el presidente. He sounds like a braver man than I am.
  • All the best to your son Stu, I hope the op goes well.
  • Thank you everyone for your comments. Much appreciated.
  • I’d never heard of it @The_President. Having looked it up, there does seem to be debate as to whether it will self heal or if not surgery may be required.

If you have any doubts about the treatment recommended, try and get a second opinion?

Best of luck to your son and hope the treatment is a success.

Cheers Neil,
    Yes, there have been about 5 or 6 second opinions since he was diagnosed about 6 years ago. He's seen several doctors who all have the same diagnosis and treatment , they had to wait until he got to a certain growth level before the op. Its a shame because he has been unable to do any sport of any kind.
    Anyway, they want to do the op next month - told my ex to try to influence it for after the play off final !
  • All the best President. Always terrifying when your kids go under the knife, but he'll be in expert hands and should improve his comfort immeasurably
  • One little story about my son, unrelated to this thread, is that my UK passport has birthplace of Plumstead,London , whereas my sons UK passport has birthplace of Plumstead, Cape Town.
    Sometimes causes questions at Passport Control when we go through together, particularly the ones in South Africa.
  • Sponsored links:

• Wish him well, from experience the health care in SA is pretty good.
  • Perthes disease is not uncommon but very variable. A frequent scenario is that a boy/girl will play a vigorous game of football, say for the school team, and then be in agony for days afterwards and sometimes have to miss school. (similar problem for Junior arthritis) Normally medics will want to wait until the child has reached puberty and growth has thus stopped before operating on the hip. Another thing to consider is that at the moment they can only manage two hip operations, with a 20 year gap between ops, say at 18 and 38 and then at 58 there is the wheelchair option, so this is another reason to wait for surgery but who knows what medics will be able to do in 40 years time!
  • Just thought you'd like to know my son had his op today, all went well, and he now has a Titanium plate plus 8 screws in his knee for 3 years !
  • Great news that all went well. Best wishes to your boy
  • Just thought you'd like to know my son had his op today, all went well, and he now has a Titanium plate plus 8 screws in his knee for 3 years !

Good news, hope all goes well.
  • Good! Hope he recovers fully and it is not too painful as he heals.
  • Great news. Very best wishes to your son.
  • I wish your boy all the best as my son got diagnosed when he was 5 had a major op and has struggled to do any sport since. Would love to play in a football team and tried but was to much . He is now 16 and had a appointment last week to say they need to operate again in January. This hopeful will help until he is mid 20s then it’s a hip replacement
  • telfox74 said:

I wish your boy all the best as my son got diagnosed when he was 5 had a major op and has struggled to do any sport since. Would love to play in a football team and tried but was to much . He is now 16 and had a appointment last week to say they need to operate again in January. This hopeful will help until he is mid 20s then it’s a hip replacement

Best wishes to you and your son Tel.

Wishing him a speedy recovery.