Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Do you want Bowyer as manager?

Yes or No?

I might be in the minority but for me it's a no. He did very well to get us into the play offs but has shown managerial naivety in the last few games and was out-thought by Keith Hill (to an extent) and by Hurst twice. I think he has potential but I don't get the impression he is a great thinker...

For me I think the new owner will put his own people in place and fear we'll also lose Jacko to Southend to work with Powell.

Comments

• I’d like him to stay, if not agree McCarthy would be a good choice. Not sure I’d be happy with Kewell.
  • I don't think he's the messiah, but he deserves a chance so it's a yes from me
  • Somebody to get us out of this league please. Not sure its him though.
  • edited May 2018
    I'd be happy with him should it happen as the last few months til the playoffs have been really enjoyable and brought a bit of life but it is a pretty big risk as I don't think many caretaker managers who are appointed full time tend to work out...

All in for Big Mick. If the takeover goes through soon they should at least have a look to see if there are better options out there. If god forbid it doesn't then Bowyer probably is the best option.
  • I would be happy for him to be given a chance, but I don't think he will be given the job and I can understand why. There are unknowns about his ability to build a team etc... Basically because he hasn't had a chance to show anybody but I think that will be a factor. He will need to have a clear plan for next season that he can impress the new owner with.
  • Not sure;

A yes because I saw him play for us & I like his positivity and have no idea who else would want the job.

A no because he is inexperienced & wasn't remotely interested in coaching/management once he retired from playing.
  • It would be good to see what other options are available as I would be concerned at the lack of experience in the coaching staff if we went into next season without some changes.

I think Bowyer did well to get us into the playoffs but he was shown up tactically over the two semi-final matches.
  • Sponsored links:

• Yes but get an experienced assistant. Jackson to be coach
  • edited May 2018

Not sure;

A yes because I saw him play for us & I like his positivity and have no idea who else would want the job.

A no because he is inexperienced & wasn't remotely interested in coaching/management once he retired from playing.

I don't think that's relevant as long as he wants to now.
  • SCP for me. Damian Mathews if not.

If it is Lee, he needs an experienced assistant manager.
  • Yes... We dont need anyone experienced as shown with Powell when we won League One

We do need an ex-Charlton Player in charge (not Pardew) as you have to go back to the 80s to find a Charlton Manager who has won something without having played for the club beforehand
  • would take mick mcarthy in a heartbeat, experienced manager but we could have pep and without any financial backing would be worthless.

lee is a great guy but has little/no experience in transfer market etc, would he take a step back and go back to being assistant?
  • edited May 2018
    McCarthy has been mentioned quite many times on here but I wonder why? I wasn't closely following news about our managerial situation so could someone shed some light on this? Have there been any rumours about him coming to us? He's never managed below the second division, why would he want to come here?
  • No

Jacko with an experienced guiding hand
  • edited May 2018
    If we keep Bowyer, I think he needs some experience to help him - not as his assistant - it is a good fit for JJ - but possibly above him in a director of football role. Curbs might be a good call for such a role.
  • Sponsored links:

• McCarthy has been mentioned quite many times on here but I wonder why? I wasn't closely following news about our managerial situation so could someone shed some light on this? He's never managed below the second division, why would he want to come to us?

Just some wishful thinking by some I think Jessie. Nothing more than that I believe.

Good to see you posting again :0)

• Swisdom said:

Yes or No?

I might be in the minority but for me it's a no. He did very well to get us into the play offs but has shown managerial naivety in the last few games and was out-thought by Keith Hill (to an extent) and by Hurst twice. I think he has potential but I don't get the impression he is a great thinker...

For me I think the new owner will put his own people in place and fear we'll also lose Jacko to Southend to work with Powell.

I don't think he got out-thought by Hurst, it's just they are a better team than us which was proved by the league placings.
    Whoever we get will need time and support to rebuild a new squad, i'd like Bowyer to be given a chance but maybe have a bit more experienced coach or assistant working alongside him.
  • edited May 2018
    He’s done a great job but no i don’t want him as manager. I think we need a manager with experience. Maybe someone like Paul Tisdale or even Shrewsbury’s Paul Hurst .
    I’d have no problem with Bowyer reverting back to assistant but I’m not sure he’s he has the know how to sign players or even deal with them personally - Yet.
    He maybe the future but not the emmediate future.
  • I’m undecided to be honest
  • Yes for me
  • edited May 2018

McCarthy has been mentioned quite many times on here but I wonder why? I wasn't closely following news about our managerial situation so could someone shed some light on this? He's never managed below the second division, why would he want to come to us?

Just some wishful thinking by some I think Jessie. Nothing more than that I believe.

Good to see you posting again :0)

Thanks. It would be great if he came to manage us. I can't see it happening though.

Yes it's great to be back! :smile:
  • It's a no from me as well. I'm not underestimating what he achieved over the last 10 or so games of the season with Robinson's team, but at no point has he said anything that strikes me as a man with tactical acumen, or a clear idea of how he wants to play, or how to react to situations that are working against the team, and I'm not really even witnessing the team really being "up for it" as a result of his management either. He did a good job in the circumstances, but that's not enough for me.

We seem to have a habit of wanting "one of our own" which I'm not particularly convinced he even is, and if there is nobody else out there available then I'd rather he, than some unknown , but I feel and hope there are better options out there.