Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Thank you Bowyer, Jackson and the squad.

edited May 2018 in General Charlton
Thank you for the great run to end the season. Thank you for giving us a bit of hope that we could get out of this god-forsaken league.

Sadly, the better team won over two legs. But there is no doubting your effort to take Charlton to their first appearance at the new Wembley.

Look forward to next season under new ownership (we hope) and we can get our club back on track.

COME ON YOU REDS.

Comments

• Thank you for the great run to end the season. Thank you for giving us a bit of hope that we could get out of this god-forsaken league.

Sadly, the better team won over two legs. But there is no doubting your effort to take Charlton to their first appearance at the new Wembley.

Look forward to next season under new ownership (we hope) and we can get our club back on track.

COME ON YOU REDS.

I'd agree with this massively but I'd add you all fucked it in the most important 2 games.

Manager and players.
    Not because they wanted to? Shrewsbury were just better than us and I can't fault the players.
  • Thank you for the great run to end the season. Thank you for giving us a bit of hope that we could get out of this god-forsaken league.

COME ON YOU REDS.

I'd agree with this massively but I'd add you all fucked it in the most important 2 games.

Manager and players.
    Not because they wanted to? Shrewsbury were just better than us and I can't fault the players.
    They were shit mate
  • The effort has been there. We are not good enough. We will now lose significant playing resources.
  • But keep Reeves.
  • Sponsored links:

• Well done to Bow and Jacko for at least getting us into the play offs. It would be a big ask to expect more from such a relatively inexperienced pair - there was no disgrace in losing to this Shrewsbury side.

I'd be happy to see them both back for another try next season.

COME ON YOU REDS.

Manager and players.
    They were shit mate
    Yet again, not because they didn't try. Shrewsbury were just better than us.

If we'd stuck eleven fans on the pitch, would you still question their commitment/bottle/whatever you want to call it?
    I haven't mentioned bottle or commitment.

They were pretty clueless what to do in the final 3rd of the pitch, not quick enough to the second ball and the build up play was about as predictable as a England World Cup quarter final exit.

For that reason over the 2 most important games in bowyers tenure in my opinion we were shit and didn't play to our potential.

Yes they were better than us but they were fucking dreadful for 80mins today and there for the taking first half which we didn't take.

Peace
  • edited May 2018
    They didn't bottle it. They competed to the best of their ability but it wasn't good enough to win.

No point being harsh on the players and I'm glad Bowyer wasn't post-match.
  • It’s not harsh it’s reality there were players there that let the occasion and importance of the two games get the better of them

If they don’t realise and accept that then they can not and will not progress as players

There’s nothing wrong with admiting the weakness of mind to build it stronger

It’s like telling all 8 year olds there’s no winners or losers

At that age football should be fun and about playing not the result but it’s not about telling them they didn’t win or lose it’s about the telling the right message to them in the right way

Of course bowyer should not and would not come out and say it publicly but he saw the same as us

There have been players who all season have been 6-8 out of 10 all season

Then two most important games of the season 4-5 out of 10 at best

its mental strength footballing maturity they lacked and it showed its self as fear and lack of confidence in their ability and performance

To over come fear you face it to deny it exists is to allow it to continue
  • It was nothing to do with weak minds and everything to do with weak physicality and tactical nous.
  • Disagree totally
  • Sponsored links:

• And yes huge thank you to Bowyer and Jacko. It was great to just be involved at this stage of the season. You gave us some great performances some great fighting spirit and some of the best atmospheres in year. I loved the last couple of months. Hope you get to stay on and get a good go next year.
  • Well done chaps let’s just romp the league next year
  • Considering where we where when Robinson left and how we were playing, hats off the Bowyer, we just weren't good enough, but he instilled a better desire from the players he was given and got some results that we'd never have had under Robinson.

A victim almost of his own success, we had no right to be in the lay offs with 10 games to go yet he got us there, only to lose. I hope the new owners give him a chance.
  • Scoham said:

Disagree totally

So you think this squad is physical and experienced enough?

Too many similar types of player for me and that’s down to Robinson.
    It was physically and experienced enough to get us to 6th

We also beat Shrewsbury, Plymouth, Blackburn and Portsmouth during the last 10 games do yes we were able to compete with those around us and even above us

It had a lot to do with the occasion and the fact that we went from chasing a spot to being two games from Wembley

There’s no shame In it if we learn from it

• edited May 2018
    I don't get the logic. It's a good point that we were mentally strong enough during Bowyer's ten league games but because we lost to a team that's better than us over two legs, all of a sudden we aren't?
  • Bowyer, Jackson and the squad definitely lifted all our spirits over the last ten games.

In the end we just weren’t good enough but I’ve not felt as upbeat as I have been lately for quite a while.

I’ll actually be quite angry if Bowyer is replaced. Both he and a Jacko have earned a crack.

This.

With bells on.
  • I don't get the logic. It's a good point that we were mentally strong enough during Bowyer's ten league games but because we lost to a team that's better than us over two legs, all of a sudden we aren't?

So you think we played well over the two legs except in 15 mins of the first leg

I don’t accept that Shrewsbury are a better team than the one bowyer got playing in his tenure and I don’t believe that he does but

over these two games they were better than us they were able to deal with the occasion and feed off it to raise their game enough to make us look shite

The only difference it can be is that they were mentally stronger than us and their players coped and ours never