Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Shrewsbury (A) for those going; travel, parking and pubs

There has been various info on other threads but scattered about so I thought useful to have advice in one thread. Anyone who has useful info please post here

Comments

• My wife yesterday saw that stretch of M1 was going to be shut from last night to 3pm on Sunday. I can't find the info now but google is reporting long tail backs on m1 today. Alternative routes would be M40 or M11/A14.
  • For those making the trip ..... I salute you #COYA
  • edited May 2018
    Courtesy of @Siv_in_Norfolk
    "I checked their parking guide again and found that it says free parking at park and ride midweek, but not for saturdays...

Doesn’t mention Sundays

https://www.shrewsburytown.com/siteassets/documents/tickets/wheretopark_a5.pdf

Need a friendly Shrew to advise"
  • redman said:

My wife yesterday saw that stretch of M1 was going to be shut from last night to 3pm on Sunday. I can't find the info now but google is reporting long tail backs on m1 today. Alternative routes would be M40 or M11/A14.

Posted this on another thread:

M25/M40/M42/M6/M54 is the way to go.
  • edited May 2018
    Courtesy of @A-R-T-H-U-R

OK, my friendly Shrew says park in the park and ride.
    It was open last evening game and he says it will be on Sunday

Season ticket holder, so hes pretty certain.
    Look for where the locals are parking.
    Do not park in retail park.
  • redman said:

My wife yesterday saw that stretch of M1 was going to be shut from last night to 3pm on Sunday. I can't find the info now but google is reporting long tail backs on m1 today. Alternative routes would be M40 or M11/A14.

Anyway to check this ? Was going to do M25, M1, M6, M54 route. Never liked the M40 etc way.
  • bobmunro said:

redman said:

Posted this on another thread:

M25/M40/M42/M6/M54 is the way to go.
    Coming up 4 hrs.
    Revised set off time 7.30am
  • redman said:

Anyway to check this ? Was going to do M25, M1, M6, M54 route. Never liked the M40 etc way.
    M1 Junction 23A-24 definitely closed all weekend. M6 is Junction 19 and I can't imagine the queues would be back that far.
  • After the Away Gods decided I shouldn't go to away matches, I was wondering if anyone knows if this match will be televised?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2018
    JamesSeed said:

After the Away Gods decided I shouldn't go to away matches, I was wondering if anyone knows if this match will be televised?

All the play off games are televised. Been the case for a long while now.
  • Leaving at 10, left at the same time for the Rochdale game and got there gone 6. Not taking any chances
  • Leaving at 10, left at the same time for the Rochdale game and got there gone 6. Not taking any chances

We went through the Dartford tunnel at 12 noon & got to Rochdale at 4.30pm - with a 15 min comfort break stop. You must have gone the wrong way.
  • redman said:

Courtesy of @A-R-T-H-U-R

I'm assuming that's the Meole Brace P&R? Looks like a Park and Walk as it looks almost next to the ground - that will do me!
  • edited May 2018
    bobmunro said:

redman said:

M1 Junction 23A-24 definitely closed all weekend. M6 is Junction 19 and I can't imagine the queues would be back that far.
    If this is the case I think M1, M6 should be ok. I do not want to disparage anyone's OH / wife etc but sometimes I think people have a problem with geography. J23 of M1 is around Leicester Forest services & miles away from where we're going. I remember seeing signs saying congestion ahead as we reached J19 last week & it had no affect on us at all. See my previous post re Rochdale. Unless you were coming from Leeds last week I fail to see how anyone could have got stuck in the traffic on the M62.

We went through the Dartford tunnel at 12 noon & got to Rochdale at 4.30pm - with a 15 min comfort break stop. You must have gone the wrong way.
    God knows, I wasn’t driving
  • bobmunro said:

redman said:

If this is the case I think M1, M6 should be ok. I do not want to disparage anyone's OH / wife etc but sometimes I think people have a problem with geography. J23 of M1 is around Leicester Forest services & miles away from where we're going. I remember seeing signs saying congestion ahead as we reached J19 last week & it had no affect on us at all. See my previous post re Rochdale. Unless you were coming from Leeds last week I fail to see how anyone could have got stuck in the traffic on the M62.
    Your probably right in that it is unlikely to affect. It was me putting 2 and 2 together; the fact there are long delays on M25/M1 route today, amounting to about 2 hours, together with the closure and assuming they could affect tomorrow. Hopefully not.
  • bobmunro said:

redman said:

Courtesy of @A-R-T-H-U-R

I'm assuming that's the Meole Brace P&R? Looks like a Park and Walk as it looks almost next to the ground - that will do me!
    Yes its a park and ride usually for the town centre. Walk along towards Sainsbury's but go to the right behind the store, there is a small bridge under the railway line, then follow the path, when you get to the stadium, follow round to the left to the away stand which is the far end.
  • bobmunro said:

redman said:

Courtesy of @A-R-T-H-U-R

Yes its a park and ride usually for the town centre. Walk along towards Sainsbury's but go to the right behind the store, there is a small bridge under the railway line, then follow the path, when you get to the stadium, follow round to the left to the away stand which is the far end.
    Thank you.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think our group will be going to the Charles Darwin pub. 10 mins walk from the ground and free parking outside
  • bobmunro said:

redman said:

J23 is indeed a long way up and if that’s where it is shut then getting to m6 from M1 should be ok.

You get stuck in traffic on the M62 if you decide to carry on up the M11 and onto the A1M because I he M1 is busy and, when you set off, no tosser has had an oxygen lorry explode on the mortorway.
  • edited May 2018
    We went today and are staying overnight in Shrewsbury. This is a sign!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/8d/44/a2/8d44a268a59684921023a685f64fa370.jpg
  • edited May 2018
    For those going independently there is a food and drinks and music festival in Ludlow which is about 45 mins away from Shrewsbury

http://www.foodfestival.co.uk/Documents/Spring Brochure32pp.pdf
  • bobmunro said:

redman said:

J23 is indeed a long way up and if that’s where it is shut then getting to m6 from M1 should be ok.

You get stuck in traffic on the M62 if you decide to carry on up the M11 and onto the A1M because I he M1 is busy and, when you set off, no tosser has had an oxygen lorry explode on the mortorway.
    But why would you want to go up the M11 in the first place ?? M11 heads N/E towards Cambridge but Rochdale is in the N/W. Also the A1 is a terrible road. Too many roundabouts & stretches of just 2 lanes.

As for the poster whi said he doesn't know why they went that way as he wasn't driving - maybe try lifting your head out of your phone & take an interst in whats outside the window.
  • Just arrived. I’m camping at Cartref camp site about 5 miles from the ground. Lovely rural area. Will get a taxi into Shrewsbury in the morning and spend the day there before heading to the game. From what I’ve heard, it hasn’t yet sold out for home fans.
  • Came up the M40/M42/M6/M54 and took about three and a half hours despite the M25 being slow. Easy journey.
  • TEL said:

Just arrived. I’m camping at Cartref camp site about 5 miles from the ground. Lovely rural area. Will get a taxi into Shrewsbury in the morning and spend the day there before heading to the game. From what I’ve heard, it hasn’t yet sold out for home fans.

Invasion from SE7.