Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Essendon - our new sister club ...maybe...hopefully.

But player swap might be a bit troublesome !
Not doing too well this season, currently 4th from bottom...

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/essendon-bombers

Comments

• Carlton bottom. Not happy
  • I hate Essendon and Carlton. Throw in Collingwood and you have a very unholy trinity.

Carlton bottom and winless ... happy days.

Essendon only have two wins and have been destroyed in third quarters this season ... wonderful.

The only good thing about the Bombers is their coach, John Worsfold. Woosha is a legend at my favourite club, West Coast, having been captain for their first two Premierships ('92 and '94) and coach for their last (2006).

Tomorrow's match: Essendon v Carlton (live on BT Sport 2 at 5:00am if you're interested).
  • I hate Essendon and Carlton. Throw in Collingwood and you have a very unholy trinity.

Essendon only have two wins and have been destroyed in third quarters this season ... wonderful.

The only good thing about the Bombers is their coach, John Worsfold. Woosha is a legend at my favourite club, West Coast, having been captain for their first two Premierships ('92 and '94) and coach for their last (2006).

Tomorrow's match: Essendon v Carlton (live on BT Sport 2 at 5:00am if you're interested).

Is this rugby?
  • Redrobo said:

I hate Essendon and Carlton. Throw in Collingwood and you have a very unholy trinity.

Is this rugby?
    It's ultimate frisbee with a boomerang I think.
    And you wear a vest.
  • Redrobo said:

I hate Essendon and Carlton. Throw in Collingwood and you have a very unholy trinity.

Is this rugby?
    Aussie Rules
  • bobmunro said:

Redrobo said:

Is this rugby?
    Aussie Rules
    Proper footy, best game in the world.
    No.

Football, Cricket and Rugby in that order.

The rest are poor imitations that I can only assume came about as the rule books of the original got lost.
  • bobmunro said:

Redrobo said:

Is this rugby?
    Aussie Rules
    Hmm I would beg to differ!

• Redrobo said:

bobmunro said:

Redrobo said:

Is this rugby?
    Aussie Rules
    No.

The rest are poor imitations that I can only assume came about as the rule books of the original got lost.
    If you like a punch up then Aussie Rules....err.....rules.
  • Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:

Redrobo said:

Is this rugby?
    Aussie Rules
    Why is it called "Aussie Rules" when there doesn't seem to be any?
  • Redrobo said:

bobmunro said:

Redrobo said:

Is this rugby?
    Aussie Rules
    No.

Aussie rules is great, used to be on Channel 4 or 5 many years back. That's really what you call a tough blokes sport, basically having a ruck while a ball is being thrown/kicked around a 100 yards away, clutching at a ball while doing a somersault or searching for your teeth.
  • Redrobo said:

bobmunro said:

Redrobo said:

Is this rugby?
    Aussie Rules
    No.

Aussie rules is great, used to be on Channel 4 or 5 many years back. That's really what you call a tough blokes sport, basically having a ruck while a ball is being thrown/kicked around a 100 yards away, clutching at a ball while doing a somersault or searching for your teeth.
    Exactly.
  • Well if we adopt Essendon's supplements program we might have more punch up front!
  • Redrobo said:

bobmunro said:

Redrobo said:

Is this rugby?
    Aussie Rules
    No.

Football, Cricket, Gaelic Football and Rugby. That's the correct order.
  • Live on BT now......and getting beat.
  • iainment said:

Redrobo said:

bobmunro said:

Redrobo said:

Is this rugby?
    Aussie Rules
    No.

Football, Cricket and Chess.
  • TELTEL
    edited May 2018
    ozaddick said:

I’ve tried to get into the game, I really have.

I’ve been in oz for 25 years, I even had a season ticket for the Fremantle dockers, And that was the season they made the grand final.
    But no, I can’t do it. It just annoys the fuck out of me.
    It’s a skill less game. Kick and hope. You get rewarded for missing the goal, ‘bless, you tried, have a point.’ True enough they do get stuck in, bit I could see they same kind of thing down a pub after closing time in the city on Saturday night.

The fair and level playing field of a home and away concept of the fixtures doesn’t exist. There’re 2 teams in the West, yet the likes of Collingwood only have to travel there once. How the fuck is that balanced?
    Teams in Melbourne, bar Geelong, don’t have a home ground, and teams outside of Victoria sometimes play their home games thousands of miles away from their grounds.
    The governing body thinks its shit doesn’t stink, refusing to move the game from the MCG if the Australians were going to be successful with the World Cup bid.

It’s played by rock apes, although rugby league over here really showcases the gene pool of idiocy, and the one and only monotonous chant that the supporters ‘sing’ (if you could call it that) just grinds my fucking bones. The lack of imagination astounds me, then I remember they’re Australian.

So I’m with @Eirik Bakke on this. Charlton being owned by a Australian consortium doesn’t fill me with joy, they’ll want to change our history as ‘historical significance in sport doesn’t apply over here. Sport is just a game here.

Totally agree. I think most of us who live in Australia try to fit in and watch what the Aussies watch sport wise. However, AFL and Rugby league are so “bigged and hyped up” It just beggars belief. The whole structure of sport here is just so very different. The A league also follows some of the quirkyness by having “home” games for teams such as Melbourne Victory played in Tasmania.... then whoever wins the league has to play off against the teams immediately below them to compete in a Grand Final to erm win the league..... it’s very odd. Sport in Australia lacks any kind of tribalism and it’s not unheard of for the Aussie public to change allegiance to those teams who are having success. I put it down to spending too much time in the sun. You just cannot beat the buzz of coming home to a proper game of football.
  • Sponsored links:

• iainment said:

Redrobo said:

bobmunro said:

Redrobo said:

Is this rugby?
    Aussie Rules
    No.

Football is the correct order. Nothing else comes close in terms of popularity or social significance.

Not surprised the Australians came up with a sport with now laws given their origins.
  • se9addick said:

iainment said:

Redrobo said:

bobmunro said:

Redrobo said:

Is this rugby?
    Aussie Rules
    No.

Football is the correct order. Nothing else comes close in terms of popularity or social significance.

Not surprised the Australians came up with a sport with now laws given their origins.
    Football, Cricket and Hockey are the top 3 in numbers. 4 billion, 2.5b and 2b respectively.
  • Redrobo said:

se9addick said:

iainment said:

Redrobo said:

bobmunro said:

Redrobo said:

Is this rugby?
    Aussie Rules
    No.

Football, Cricket and Hockey are the top 3 in numbers. 4 billion, 2.5b and 2b respectively.
    I like many team sports, NFL, Rugby League, Hockey, even Aussie Rules.

But, in correct order, all others pale into insignificance compared to Football, Rugby Union and Cricket.

• No interest in Aussie rules. Enjoy NRL. Melbourne storm just gone level against Gold Coast
  • bobmunro said:

Redrobo said:

Is this rugby?
    Aussie Rules
    is that why no one else in the world plays it ?
  • Enjoy Aussie Rules. Made a concerted effort to get into it a couple of years ago as games are on at decent times in Thailand to watch sport in the pub. Essendon suck this year.
  • bobmunro said:

Redrobo said:

Is this rugby?
    Aussie Rules
    is that why no one else in the world plays it ?
    Isn’t Gaelic football similar? Think they sometimes have a playoff?
  • bobmunro said:

Redrobo said:

Is this rugby?
    Aussie Rules
    @danepak
  • bobmunro said:

Redrobo said:

se9addick said:

iainment said:

Redrobo said:

bobmunro said:

Redrobo said:

Is this rugby?
    Aussie Rules
    No.

I like many team sports, NFL, Rugby League, Hockey, even Aussie Rules.

But, in correct order, all others pale into insignificance compared to Football, Rugby Union and Cricket.
    Sorry, but Rugby is not in the top 5. I think you will find that my top 3 is correct.
  • But player swap might be a bit troublesome !
    Not doing too well this season, currently 4th from bottom...

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/essendon-bombers

and lost to Carlton today