Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Shrewsbury - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Not even 24 hours passed and I'm well on the road to forgiving everything I saw last night.
    I really think we need to learn to take advantage of the joy of anticipation that's in that sweet spot just prior to kick off...
    COYR
  • Options
    Just never really felt right last night - from seeing/ hearing that most of the pubs had been taken over early on by Shrews fans to things just not clicking on the pitch.

Not a lack of trying, but there were too many times when players didn't make themselves available - particularly when Amos was looking to distribute or when we had a throw-in. Totally lost count of the number of times we lost possession directly from our throws - it was back to the bad old Curbs days! (That and not leaving anyone up when defending corners are about my only negative memories from those Prem glory days.) Consequently we lost the midfield battle and just could not keep hold of the ball. In contrast, they won so many 50/50s and were very quick on the break.

I'd have brought Marshall on for Reeves or Mavididi much sooner - needed his strength.

I was hoping we'd hang on for a 0-0 and go on to emulate Millwall and Barnsley, who both finished sixth and got that score in their home leg. No sooner had I said this to the bloke beside me than they scored a worldy.

Long way back on Sunday - will not only need us to be 100% on it but they will need to dip a bit too. Hope we can do it as I didn't take to their fans at all - load of lairy loud mouths on the train back up to London afterwards.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

I think if we play Marshall at right back, they might decide they have to target him. That might open them up a bit, but importantly he would have to be up to it defensively. I think he is from what I have seen of him.

No one's going to play Marshall at right back in such a crucial match. He's not a right back for a start.
    This. Not the bloody time to start messing around with putting players in the wrong position. Main reason for switching Marshall for Reeves is that Marshall is a wide player & his first thought is to run with the ball. Reeves first thought is "feck, whats this white round thing I suddenly have at my feet" - his second thought is "shit, who's that tackling me ".

I consensus of opinion is that Fosu should come in for Mavididi, Marshall for Reeves(whether you move Reeves inside is debatable) I would play Aribo in place of Kashi - we need more oomph !!
  • Options

Just never really felt right last night - from seeing/ hearing that most of the pubs had been taken over early on by Shrews fans to things just not clicking on the pitch.

Not a lack of trying, but there were too many times when players didn't make themselves available - particularly when Amos was looking to distribute or when we had a throw-in. Totally lost count of the number of times we lost possession directly from our throws - it was back to the bad old Curbs days! (That and not leaving anyone up when defending corners are about my only negative memories from those Prem glory days.) Consequently we lost the midfield battle and just could not keep hold of the ball. In contrast, they won so many 50/50s and were very quick on the break.

I'd have brought Marshall on for Reeves or Mavididi much sooner - needed his strength.

I was hoping we'd hang on for a 0-0 and go on to emulate Millwall and Barnsley, who both finished sixth and got that score in their home leg. No sooner had I said this to the bloke beside me than they scored a worldy.

Long way back on Sunday - will not only need us to be 100% on it but they will need to dip a bit too. Hope we can do it as I didn't take to their fans at all - load of lairy loud mouths on the train back up to London afterwards.

How weird; I had the same sort of feeling too, even during the game - I really never thought we would win. Not felt like that before on (big) occasions. Maybe it just isn't our time?

• Options

JamesSeed said:

I think if we play Marshall at right back, they might decide they have to target him. That might open them up a bit, but importantly he would have to be up to it defensively. I think he is from what I have seen of him.

No one's going to play Marshall at right back in such a crucial match. He's not a right back for a start.
    This. Not the bloody time to start messing around with putting players in the wrong position. Main reason for switching Marshall for Reeves is that Marshall is a wide player & his first thought is to run with the ball. Reeves first thought is "feck, whats this white round thing I suddenly have at my feet" - his second thought is "shit, who's that tackling me ".

I consensus of opinion is that Fosu should come in for Mavididi, Marshall for Reeves(whether you move Reeves inside is debatable) I would play Aribo in place of Kashi - we need more oomph !!
    Well it is going to be up to Bowyer - I think it is a left field call that could pay off. But he may do it if we are still chasing in the second half.

Whilst I agree that Reeves got a bit bullied yesterday, he did put it in and I thought Kashi was a bigger midfield culprit and Mav was on his heels a bit too much. I'd start Reeves for his energy and drop Kashi - they are not his sort of opponents.

• Options
    Exactly as league game, we started brightly but failed to build on the good start and the better won in the end, as they did in the league. Let's hope we can win up there like we did in the league
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    The opposition perspective:

http://blueandamber.proboards.com/thread/97299/charlton-game-away

Reading that there were some of theirs in the Covered End.
  • Options
    Having spent days muttering about Dartford's failure in the play off where they were beaten 1-0 at home by a team that finished 16 points behind them, I was hoping tonight we could do the same. Alas, life isn't like that. Sounds like Shrewsbury played a better game plan and earned a 1-0 win.
    I guess one of the things about a new inexperienced manager is he sometimes sets the team up wrong, and my reading was Bowyer did that last night. Given that without him, we would have not had any interest in the play offs, I can certainly forgive him that. The worry is the Shrews will probably set up the same way on sunday, and I'm struggling to see how we can positively change the team.
    I'll keep my fingers crossed for sunday, as a goal could come in a moment, and we beat them 2-0 at theirs a while back. But we will need a better game plan than we produced last night. Thank god with Bowyer he might consider changes - Robinson's reaction would have been to try the same formation again and hope for luck.
  • Options
    Thought Bowyer would have learnt Reeves is no good out wide. Thought Kashi was terrible poorly timed tackles and wayward passing. Why he left Marshall out is beyond me as he was MOTM against Blackburn. Josh works hard but is not a natural goal scorer he has no anticipation needs to think one move ahead. Marshall and Fosu need to start next game
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

The opposition perspevtive:

Some telling stats from one of their posts.

Shrewsbury scored the first goal in 29 out of 46 games.
    Of that they won 22 of those games, drawn 5 and lost 2.

We conceded first in 18 games out of 46.
    We won 1, drew 3 and lost 14.

Basically we need to score first on Sunday or we're fucked.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All I can add is "the best team won", end of.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I was disappointed that with 3 CHs on the pitch we didn't try 3-5-2 when they started to dominate. It wouldn't even need a substitution and if it doesn't work, change it back. At least it might upset their tactics and keep Hurst guessing.

I thought our midfield was pòor because Pearce and Bauer sat too deep so when attacking we werr too strung and losing the ball left huge gaps.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    LenGlover said:

Why when they had 2300 seats going spare in the away end???
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    LenGlover said:

"No silly fouls and let's have plenty of shots. Come on lads. Let's make some history!"
    I never realised Curbishley was a Shrewsbury supporter...
  • Options
    Jason Pearce

Verified account

@jpearce05
    15h15 hours ago
    More
    Really frustrating result tonight, boys gave their all but wasn’t to be. Half way. We stay positive and go again Sunday. Support was unreal tonight #staytogether #cafc
  • Options
    billy clarke

@billyclarke7
    7h7 hours ago
    More
    Only Half time!!! Still all to play for. The lads will relish going there Sunday and giving there all again. Gonna be that little bit sweeter when we do it. #CAFC #Playoffs
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Ooo I like this comment from one of their fans...

The referee for Sunday, Jeremy Simpson, can hardly be called our lucky referee.

He's refereed us 6 times before, and we've yet to win.

2018 West Ham A L 1-0
    2016 Sunderland A L 1-0
    2015 Swindon H L 0-1
    2014 Hartlepool A L 2-0
    2014 Rotherham H L 0-3
    2012 Colchester H D 2-2
  • Options

Leuth said:

Dasilva sloppy tonight. Gave the ball away when under no pressure a couple of times, beaten by their winger other times.

Genuinely don't see the hype.

He has the best touch in League One and decent tonight - but keep doubling down on your 'Page is better' opinion
    Remember when he lumped it across the field to no-one and it rolled out of play into the dugout? Then he did the same thing again 10 minutes later. It was a bit weaker the second time so Konsa was able to run back 15 yards and collect the ball before it rolled out of play again.

What about when the ball sailed over his head and into the feet of Whalley who then had a free run at goal? Poor positioning or just not tall enough?

He's flashy going forward so play him as a left midfielder, if at all.
    JDS is pure class. Page is pure glass.
  • Options

I think Hurst realised that his team is physically much stronger, more robust than CAFC, especially across the middle.
    Shrews goalie was diligently time wasting from the first minute. Shrews were confident they had a goal in them and that they could compete all across the park for a full 95 minutes, especially if they took the heat out of the game at every opportunity.
    They were aided in their plan by a ref who wanted to be everybody's friend and took no action at all on the timewasting.
    2 wildly reckless head high challenges went unpunished. Substitute striker Payne's very first contribution was a full tilt Lee Chapman style leading elbow into Josh's temple and the ref just gave a free kick. JM did him a big favour by just getting up, as Pearce did when he was subjected to a two footed studs up knee-high clatter in the first half. Plenty of honest endeavour from both sides but the Shrews had an extra slice of street smarts and a significant weight advantage. On balance the better side won on the night. 3 decent chances in the opening exchanges went begging and that cost us. It isn't obvious what can be done to elevate Charlton's performance for a 2 goal victory. Leaving out Reeves will make the team less lightweight, replacing him with Marshall will add effort, energy and defensive responsibility, but that ain't gonna score any goals. Some will advocate replacing Mavididi with Fosu. Tarique scored more goals earlier in the season but both players are so often seen running up blind alleys and losing the ball cheaply. Either could carve out an opportunity for themselves but the percentages are small.
    On recent form, I think Charlton's best chance will come from going more direct; whenever the Shrews get a moment or two to compose themselves defensively they make themselves very hard to beat. I don't just mean one dimensional long ball football, although we had at least a couple of chances like that last night, but getting the ball quickly from back to front, wing play, keeping the ball a long way from our penalty area. Jay Dasilva carries the ball very well, quickly and can cross, in stark contrast to Ezri Konsa. In possession we could benefit from attacking as a 3-5-2, when the shrews have possession all of Charlton's midfield have to dig in to get it back early, there can be no carrying of shirkers. We have several very decent strikers of the ball, being first to the ball around Shrew's box is paramount. The first goal on Sunday is crucial - if Charlton get it, the game is on, if Shrewsbury get it, the game is up.

Pretty concise summing up - I would like to see Aribo in midfield, his height (and those long legs) may give the Shrews something to think about.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Watching on sky,thought Reeves and Mavididi were both too wasteful and would drfinitely bring marshall and fosu into the 11 on sunday

I thought Reeves was piss poor from the start and Mavididi clearly wasn't fit & was blowing out of his arse after 20 mins.
    Kashi & Magennis weren't great either. I couldn't understand how many times Magennis didn't even bother to jump, when the ball was pumped up to him.

We needed 11 players on top of their game like them.

But we basically had 7 playing well, 2 playing not as well and 2 that were piss poor.
  • Options

Eurgh still pissed off about the tactics last night. Diamond formation works if you play between the lines. It doesn't work if you just lump it. Second to every loose ball, huge open gaps in the middle of the park and could see from a mile off that a goal or chance was coming from them picking the ball up from a defensive header or tackle. Really disappointed with Bowyer not changing to a flat 4 across the park after about 20 minutes. Second half was dire.

My mate who came as a neutral sent me a text at half time said the same about the middle of the park. So much space. I also think we suffered down the right hand side as Reeves tends to gravitate back toward centre and was huffing and puffing to get wide when he was needed as defensive cover. He also has the challenge of being quite slight and diminutive without the strength to hold his own. I felt every time he got the ball he had no time at all until his man was on him

He’s an okay player but he needs to be further up the pitch and more central

Although I’m not one to say I’m that astute when it comes to tactics, I think I get your point when you talk about the diamond. Based on what you are saying I think it’s only a formation for top class players. With respect to both JFC (who I thought played well last night) and Kashi, I don’t think they have enough the expertise to know how to make it effective

Re: Bowyer I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as we still have another leg, but you would hope he will try something else
  • Options
    The bloke in the lower tier who gave it 'the going wide' sign....

Him.
  • Options

Dasilva sloppy tonight. Gave the ball away when under no pressure a couple of times, beaten by their winger other times.

Genuinely don't see the hype.

He was easily our best player.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Eurgh still pissed off about the tactics last night. Diamond formation works if you play between the lines. It doesn't work if you just lump it. Second to every loose ball, huge open gaps in the middle of the park and could see from a mile off that a goal or chance was coming from them picking the ball up from a defensive header or tackle. Really disappointed with Bowyer not changing to a flat 4 across the park after about 20 minutes. Second half was dire.

My mate who came as a neutral sent me a text at half time said the same about the middle of the park. So much space. I also think we suffered down the right hand side as Reeves tends to gravitate back toward centre and was huffing and puffing to get wide when he was needed as defensive cover. He also has the challenge of being quite slight and diminutive without the strength to hold his own. I felt every time he got the ball he had no time at all until his man was on him

Although I’m not one to say I’m that astute when it comes to tactics, I think I get your point when you talk about the diamond. Based on what you are saying I think it’s only a formation for top class players. With respect to both JFC (who I thought played well last night) and Kashi, I don’t think they have enough the expertise to know how to make it effective

Re: Bowyer I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as we still have another leg, but you would hope he will try something else
    From Bowyer's comments, he deliberately played Reeves rather than Marshall because he didn't want someone playing wide on that side - their LB was a centre back who wouldn't go forward much - and he wanted more strength in the middle instead...
  • Options
    It was a game of two halves, both temporally and also in the geographics of the pitch.

we absolutely bossed the wing play, especially down Da Silva's side. Unfortunately, because we had a winger who cant cross a ball or stay upright, opportunities were wasted.

Conversely, they absolutely bossed the middle. 5-6-7 times second half u had 2-3 runners breaking from midfield with a 30 yard gap between our DM and our CH. i dont know why we have told our defenders to stand off, you are not marking Maradona at this level. Get tight, pressure, dont foul and 5/10 times your opponent will shit himself from the pressure and mis-control. We were standing off their players and allowing their wingers to bring it under control unchallenged.

Fosu came on and it was lovely to see what him and JDS could do. Great example of Da Silva's ball across to Magennis....who was looking at the fooking floor. I like Josh as a character....but he is not a footballer. Kashi getting pleters for foolish fould, but Magennis was the major culprit of this. Shrews picked up on this to the extent that their Centre Half took an outrageous dive and Josh fell for it. Dont dive in when you are a lump of a player, stay on your feet and dont give an easy out.

Ben Reeves...please. The one person that rates him is the nob Karl Robinson. says it all. He is unfit to play football. So was Neil Redfearn but at least he could shoot and volley a ball. Claus Jensen wasnt an athlete but had pure quality on the ball. What can Ben Reeves do? He cant pass, move, tackle or shoot.

Despite all this, im confident for the replay. I think Shrews will bottle it and if we can just take advantage, 2-0 is emminently achievable. Please make the following changes

Drop Reeves, Konsa and play marshall and fosu.

Magennis isnt good enough but we have no other option (Zyro is not an option, he has nothing to his game)

• Options

Interested in what you said about their fans, @Weegie Addick

We sat with Tariqe at the recent KSD and he said the players had hoped they wouldn't be pitted against the Shrews in the Play Off semis...

He told us that there was a bit of "argey bargey" from their players in the tunnel at both of their previous encounters this season.

Thought they were pretty fair on the pitch, despite their being a bigger set of lads than ours.

But maybe there is a feeling of a "little club" not receiving as many plaudits as they deserve - a bit of a chip on their meaty shoulders ?

• Options
    cs1986 said:

Standard us tonight. We ain't turned up in a big game for 20 years now.

Hopefully Bowyer sorts them out and we turn it around at there place. We need wingers!

Shrewsbury A, Portsmouth A, Blackburn H ?
  • Options
    On paper a club like Shrewsbury deserve promotion if they come to The Valley and win twice there in one season. But we have to look after ourselves though.
  • Options

cabbles said:

From Bowyer's comments, he deliberately played Reeves rather than Marshall because he didn't want someone playing wide on that side - their LB was a centre back who wouldn't go forward much - and he wanted more strength in the middle instead...
    Fair point.

Although if that was the case then perhaps it may have been better to let someone like Marshall have a run at him.

I just feel when Reeves plays we line up like this

GK

RB CB CB LB

DM
    CM
    Reeves
    LM

CF CF

Seems like there’s too much space out on the right

I noticed in the Plymouth game too