Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pubs for Sunday

Not for me (I'm in Riyadh!), for my son who lives in Balham.

Other than the obvious pubs in Charlton itself, he was wondering what the best Greenwich (area) pubs are for watching the game on Sunday? Near to DLR/rail.

Thanks in advance and apologies for not bothering to look for previous pub threads.

Comments

• edited May 2018

surely the Bricklayers Arms is the place to be ?

Not after last nights lewd sex games and excessive drug taking.
  • surely the Bricklayers Arms is the place to be ?

The landlord if blocking up the glory hole as I type this.
  • If you get to the Brickmakers in Bromley Elfs is buying
  • surely the Bricklayers Arms is the place to be ?

The landlord if blocking up the glory hole as I type this.
    he must be a big lad...
  • Not for me (I'm in Riyadh!), for my son who lives in Balham.

Other than the obvious pubs in Charlton itself, he was wondering what the best Greenwich (area) pubs are for watching the game on Sunday? Near to DLR/rail.

Thanks in advance and apologies for not bothering to look for previous pub threads.

Best one for sport was the Admiral Hardy which has now closed down. If he's a youngster then he'll probably consider Belushi's and The Lost Hour more acceptable than I do. If he's old before his time and prefers a proper boozer, I'd go to Hardy's - Irish pub on Trafalgar Road, closer to Maze Hill Station than Greenwich, used to play host to Andy Reid and his guitar so I'm told.
  • edited May 2018
    MrLargo said:

Not for me (I'm in Riyadh!), for my son who lives in Balham.

Best one for sport was the Admiral Hardy which has now closed down. If he's a youngster then he'll probably consider Belushi's and The Lost Hour more acceptable than I do. If he's old before his time and prefers a proper boozer, I'd go to Hardy's - Irish pub on Trafalgar Road, closer to Maze Hill Station than Greenwich, used to play host to Andy Reid and his guitar so I'm told.
    Whaaaaa I liked that pub! It was a good football watching pub, that's sad.

I'd say Hardy's or the Mitre for watching the match without being surround by tourists (Belushi's) or "lads" looking for a fight (The Last Hour).

Though if I were gonna watch it in Greenwich I'd pick The Vanbrugh - great pub.
  • if your in Greenwich why not go 1 further stop and go somewhere in Charlton surely the swan and rod would be showing?.
  • Greenwich itself - Hardy's Free House, without a doubt. Heard good things about The Vanburgh recently, haven't been in yonks.

As for Charlton, the Swan usually has live music at 6pm on Sundays, so a few of us are checking to see what their plans are.
  • Sponsored links:

• I shall be going to my local - it’s pretty much a West Ham pub (former West Ham player Keith Rowland also drinks in there) to watch it. But I’m sure they will all be routing for Charlton.
  • Greenwich itself - Hardy's Free House, without a doubt. Heard good things about The Vanburgh recently, haven't been in yonks.

As for Charlton, the Swan usually has live music at 6pm on Sundays, so a few of us are checking to see what their plans are.

Have to agree that Hardy's is a cracking boozer and will have the game on.

Have to agree that Hardy's is a cracking boozer and will have the game on.
    Hardy's is so well run it even manages to serve decent Green King IPA, something that no other pub in London seems to be able to do. Guinness (which does vary) is also excellent there.
  • Belushi's is being refurbed at the moment. Arranged with mates last night to go to Lost Hour, never been in there before so...
  • lost hour is fine good selection of craft and don't get too many tossers in there especially on a Sunday.
  • Thanks for the replies all.

Much appreciated.
  • Watched the Rochdale game in Lost Hour. They didn't put the game on downstairs, but were happy to put it on the three TVs upstairs. Imagine it'll be the same for Sunday.
  • Most pubs will put a game on as they will get business
  • Quite a few pubs that show football will have a hangover of Prem watchers who would have been in all afternoon. Old Roan not a bad option, their big screen is very good. Not sure whether you can just turn up though?
  • The Fox is showing it
  • Sponsored links:

• White Swan in Charlton will show it on both screens.
  • Riviera said:

Quite a few pubs that show football will have a hangover of Prem watchers who would have been in all afternoon. Old Roan not a bad option, their big screen is very good. Not sure whether you can just turn up though?

How can you not just turn up to a pub? Is it entry by ticket only?
  • White Swan in Charlton will show it on both screens.

Swan sounds good to me
  • iainment said:

Riviera said:

Quite a few pubs that show football will have a hangover of Prem watchers who would have been in all afternoon. Old Roan not a bad option, their big screen is very good. Not sure whether you can just turn up though?

Masonic Lodge
  • iainment said:

Riviera said:

Because it's not a pub, it's a sports club. Maybe you have to be signed in or pay an entrance fee.
  • Ooh ooh, hadn’t thought of that.

was going to watch the game at home but now me and Roo are definitely going to the White Swan.
  • Vanbrugh is a great pub, but even though it shows live games its not the sort of place I would go to watch football. On a Sunday you're likely to be surrounded by families having sunday dinner rather than a crowd paying attention to what is on the screen
  • Need two tickets if anybody has spares please
  • Redhenry said:

Need two tickets if anybody has spares please

White Swan ok?
  • DA9DA9
    edited May 2018
    Redhenry said:

Need two tickets if anybody has spares please

@Redhenry
    I have 1 spare, was for an oap (has 65+ written on stub) face value £20, only want £15 paid for it