Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Shrewsbury v Charlton | Sun 13 May | 5:15pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Shrewsbury Town v Charlton Athletic
Sunday 13th May 2018 … 5:15pm Kick-Off
Referee: Jeremy Simpson (Lancashire)

Introduction

Last night saw the opening exchanges in what was a typically tight Play-Off Semi-Final… With very little to separate the two sides it got to the stage where fans of both clubs were thinking that the result would be shared. The Play-Offs though are filled with spectacular goals though, and Jon Nolan of Shrewsbury can be added to that list, it means that Shrewsbury will return to Shropshire with a tight advantage… With at least another ninety minutes to play though, the Addicks are far from being out of this tie.

The Opposition
Name: Shrewsbury Town | Manager: Paul Hurst
Play-Off Semi Final 1st Leg: Charlton 0-1 Shrewsbury

Have been assured of a play-off spot since mid-April, the rest of the Shrewsbury league season was always going to be about resting key players… It meant that results dropped and left fans wondering if Salop could switch back to the form that has impressed so many sides this season.

During the opening salvos it looked as though the plan had back fired for Hurst, a key save from Dean Henderson ensuring that Charlton didn’t take an early lead – Despite being a typical League One side with tall players… Shrewsbury know how to play though, Omar Beckles at the back was clearly up for the fight with Josh Magennis, whilst at the other end; Carlton Morris made life difficult for our own centre-backs.

You’d expect few changes from either side, from last nights showing, Shrewsbury showed no signs of mentally cracking under the pressure of being in an unfamiliar situation – Expect exactly the same on Sunday.

Charlton Team News
Quite rightly after the game last night, Lee Bowyer confirmed that the tie is a long way from being over and when planning his team for last night, took our fixture at Shrewsbury into consideration – In Defence you’d expect there to be few changes, with the possibility of Anfernee Dijksteel coming in at full-back… In Midfield we saw Stephy Mavididi returning to the side yet struggled to make an impact, whilst Mark Marshall (impressive in recent weeks) was left out, you’d expect the Jamaican to return to the starting line up.

Amos
Dijksteel | Bauer | Pearce | Dasilva
Fosu | Kashi | Forster-Caskey | Marshall
Magennis | Ajose

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Sarr | Konsa | Aribo | Reeves | Mavididi | Zyro

Prediction
Going to the New Meadow on Saturday its clear what we have to do… Score more goals that the opposition – We all know how the Play-Offs work, should we win by two clear goals then we win the tie… Win by one and it goes to extra time (no away goals).

Charlton will have to attack from the off, whilst Shrewsbury will have to decide whether to attack or protect their own lead – If people thought that last night was nerving, they’d better be prepared for a nail biter on Sunday!!

Comments

• Said it before lose 0-1 then win 2-0.

• 1 - 0 Charlton, we win on penalties !! Pearce with the goal.
  • still believing.....

COYR
  • We got bullied last night and the danger is that Pearce, Bauer, Konsa, and Magennis may not be fit after taking hits. Fosu and Mavididi are just not fit for 90 minutes sadly, so can share the stage. Marshall should start, and we have no alternative to Ajose. Sadly, I think our Wembley dream is over for another year.
  • I think we will huff and puff but we won't be able to break them down and we will be hit on the counter in the second half. 1-0 to Shrewsbury . Another season in league one.
  • If Fosu is fit and we play him from the start I still believe we can do it.
  • After watching us for the first time this season (on TV) I cannot see where the goals are coming from, we were chuff in the final third.

2-0 Shrewsbury, 3-0 aggregate.
  • lack of firepower is what's my concern, far from over but we haven't really smashed anyone apart from mk dons and northampton who are now no longer in the league in wins recently we haven't come from behind.

as others have said when doom and gloom is expected we shine. 2-1 to us and then we nab the winner in et is what the heart says

head shrews 1-0 and new owners come in and we run away with the league next year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Havent we won just one penatly shootout (against Luton in the League Cup in 2003) since 1998?

We lost against Swindon on penalties, same with Oxford and Colchester in the Football League Trophy of late...
  • edited May 2018
    Just like to wish everyone a great day out . Must be 30 years since I was last there but a quaint little town. Love to see a plucky performance but I cant see beyond a 2-0 defeat
  • If we can get back to our best form I'm confident we will come through. So that means the fast passing and movement that we've seen under LB in most matches of his reign so far. Otherwise it's au revior.

If we do go out, at least, by all accounts, the takeover should go through quickly thereafter, which is a huge consolation
  • I think we'll do better than last night but not enough to get through - 1-1 draw.
  • 1-0 to the Shrews and bloody deserved as well.
  • Amos
    Dijksteel | Bauer | Pearce | Dasilva
    Fosu | Kashi | Forster-Caskey | Marshall
    Magennis | Ajose

Yes please.
  • 1-3. Magennis 2 and Fosu.
  • Sponsored links:

• Deluded myself into thinking we'd have the tie sewn up by the end of yesterday evening. Idiot.

Back to reality now. 2 early Shrewsbury goals kill the tie-off before the half hour mark, and they get one more with 15 minutes to go to get the party in full swing. There will be no "The Taming of the Shrew"-related headlines in Monday's papers.

Going on holiday at 7am on Monday morning, so undoubtedly either my car will break down on the way home or I'll be beset my some other misfortune that stops me from getting home at a decent time.
  • edited May 2018
    We are by no means out of it. It actually means we have nothing to lose and we could play better. The players will know we can repeat the performance and result from a few weeks back.

Interestingly for me, will be how Shrewsbury approach the game. Are they going to try and stop us scoring and be more defensive, or do they go attacking and try to get another goal? You can say they play the game as a 0-0 and go from there but psychologically it’s different. We have seen that so far in the Champions League for example.

I really hope that Marshall and Fosu both start, I’d also go with Dijksteel as well, but I can’t see this happening. I think Bowyer will go like this:

Amos
    Konsa Bauer Pearce Dasilva
    Reeves Kashi Forster-Caskey Fosu
    Magennis Ajose

Phillips, Sarr, Dijksteel, Aribo, Marshall, Mavididi, Zyro

But would much prefer to see...

Amos
    Dijksteel Bauer Pearce Dasilva
    Marshall Kashi Forster-Caskey Fosu
    Magennis Ajose

Phillips, Sarr, Konsa, Aribo, Reeves, Mavididi, Zyro
  • I reckon 0-0 or 1-0 to Shrews as they score when we are pushing for a winner.

Paul Hurst in my opinion is a far better manager, they have a real strategy and a way to play, everyone has a job and knows that they're doing.

Giving it a go, 100% etc. motivational talking only gets you so far (as it did for Robinson) and I'm afraid for Bowyer.

We won't outplay them, they will out smart us.

Move on till next year, where I hope we feel like a proper football team again.
  • I still think we're still in this with a big shout - maybe 1-0 and then penalties - or we win 2-0.
  • Yes, knowing us, if we had a 1 goal lead we might have gone with the wrong approach - It is simple now- we have to create chances and beat them! Everybody knows that and we either will or we won't. I have a feeling we will.
  • edited May 2018
    We cannot go 1-0 down at their place. An early goal for us to put the tie back on level terms would be ideal but similarly going into the second half at 0-0 will allow nerves to creep into their system.

Their goal last night was an absolutely sucker punch, I was gutted. I'm more confident than I was yesterday but we're very much the outsiders at this stage.
  • We cannot go 1-0 down at their place. An early goal for us to put the tie back on level terms would be ideal but similarly going into the second half at 0-0 will allow nerves to creep into their system.

Their goal last night was an absolutely sucker punch, I was gutted. I'm more confident than I was yesterday but we're very much the outsiders at this stage.

I reckon the longer it stays 0-0 the more confident Shrewsbury will become again

Get an early goal if we can and then really take the game to them - Dont want Extra Time or Penalties
  • The only trouble is, I don't think I have seen Charlton win live on TV since the Sunderland play-off, surely it is about time we broke this sequence. 0-2 win to go through to Wembley, although we will have to improve on Thursday
  • I was thinking "it's a bit early for a thread" then realised the game is actually only 2 days away!

While I'm glad it's a Sunday rather than a Monday game it does seem silly to have such a short turnaround, then a 2 week gap to Wembley
  • Simply has to risk Fosu from the start and bring Marshall in

Got to drop my lad off for a football tournament in Canvey at 12.15 so need the M1/M6 to be kind to me

I think we can do this
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!