Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Games on a Thursday?

Thursday doesn’t seem a very popular day of the week to play on. Other than Bradford away in 97, which we lost 1-0, can’t think of many others.
When was the last time we played at home on a Thursday?

Comments

• Thursday doesn’t seem a very popular day of the week to play on. Other than Bradford away in 97, which we lost 1-0, can’t think of many others.

Can’t think of any home games. Middlesbrough away in the FA Cup is the only one that springs to mind.
  • Thursday doesn’t seem a very popular day of the week to play on. Other than Bradford away in 97, which we lost 1-0, can’t think of many others.

Can’t think of any home games. Middlesbrough away in the FA Cup is the only one that springs to mind.
    Think that was a Wednesday, before Easter, I’m sure I had the Thursday off before Good Friday.

Think that was a Wednesday, before Easter, I’m sure I had the Thursday off before Good Friday.
    I stand corrected - you are quite right.
  • Middlesbrough at home FA Cup 2006
    Ipswich Play Off Away 1987
    Leeds Home 1983
  • edited May 2018
    JohnnyH2 said:

Middlesbrough at home FA Cup 2006
    Ipswich Play Off Away 1987
    Leeds Home 1983

The Boro home game is the one I’m getting confused with.
  • I was just thinking that this is the third Thursday match in a row that I've been to - Arsenal two weeks ago, Dulwich last week and the big one tonight.

I actually quite like it, not sure if we'll see more Thursday night matches in the future?
  • se9addick said:

I was just thinking that this is the third Thursday match in a row that I've been to - Arsenal two weeks ago, Dulwich last week and the big one tonight.

I actually quite like it, not sure if we'll see more Thursday night matches in the future?

Friday night football is very enjoyable.

The weekend coming, the game and a few drinks.
  • Are people including when Boxing Day or New Years Day fall on a Thursday?
  • Pretty sure we played Luton in the FA Cup early rounds a few seasons back on a Thursday
  • Sponsored links:

• Pretty sure we played Luton in the FA Cup early rounds a few seasons back on a Thursday

We did.
  • edited May 2018
    Addickted said:

Thursday doesn’t seem a very popular day of the week to play on. Other than Bradford away in 97, which we lost 1-0, can’t think of many others.

I stand corrected
    How are those orthopaedic shoes?

Love them - I purchased them in Rochdale on Saturday.
  • How can Monday Night Football be so popular in the US?
  • Addickted said:

I stand corrected
    How are those orthopaedic shoes?

Love them - I purchased them in Rochdale on Saturday.
    You've certainly built them up enough.
  • Leeds at The Valley in 1983. Won 2-0 (Smith, Dowman). Crowd was 6,283.

Have no idea why it was a Thursday night in mid-December and we didn't play again until Boxing Day (smashed 4-0 at Portsmouth).
  • Be more common now Sky have found a day in the week there isnt football on
  • edited May 2018

Already said it, Lose 1-0 tonight, win 3-1 on Sunday.

• We never lose at home on a Thursday :smile:
  • Simonsen said:

Leeds at The Valley in 1983. Won 2-0 (Smith, Dowman). Crowd was 6,283.

Have no idea why it was a Thursday night in mid-December and we didn't play again until Boxing Day (smashed 4-0 at Portsmouth).

I believe this game was originally scheduled for Saturday 17 Dec 1983. However, being so close to Christmas, it was moved to Friday 16th Dec. The BBC then scheduled their first ever live league game for the Friday (Man Utd 4 - 2 Spurs). The Charlton V Leeds fixture was subsequently moved again to Thursday 15 Dec.

At the time no one really knew the effect a live league game would have on the attendance of other games taking place at the same time.