Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Marilyn Monroe poster in Eltham house window

I'm bored of the takeover thread hence this niche posting...
...driving my Mum to Saturday's match we were reminiscing about the good old days and I reminded her of how when my sister and I were kids, we'd always look out for the house on Rochester Way in Eltham (near a tiny second-hand car dealership) where there was a large poster of Marilyn Monroe in the downstairs window, facing outwards. This would have been in the 1970s and it was still there probably 25-30 years later, I reckon. I thought it was cool when I was a kid, a bit odd when I grew up! On Saturday, I still looked, hoping it by some miracle, had reappeared.

Anyone else remember it or know who lived there?

(Can you tell I'm bored?)

Comments

• JFK?

Can't be him. Jake was born in 2004 in Southend.

Maybe it was Bob Hope's holiday home.
  • I used to live in Moira Road and remember it well! My home town is Dartford, and near us we had one house painted with a large rainbow on the front, "signed" by "Picnoso" = knew the family pretty well, slightly unusual but nice bunch.
  • It's been there for as long as I can remember. Even as a kid (I am 50 now) I can recall seeing it and wondered why.
  • I grew up in Hartley so wasn't familiar with London but the Monroe poster was part of the exotic excitement of the car journey to the metropolis, along with the thick odour of the Blackwall Tunnel refineries and the vintage cars parked outside a townhouse on the approach to Blackheath.
  • edited May 2018

I grew up in Hartley so wasn't familiar with London but the Monroe poster was part of the exotic excitement of the car journey to the metropolis, along with the thick odour of the Blackwall Tunnel refineries and the vintage cars parked outside a townhouse on the approach to Blackheath.

And the old steam traction engine that was outside one of the houses for years.
  • I remember this well from my childhood, wasn't it replaced with a poster of Debby Harry at one stage?
  • I grew up in Hartley so wasn't familiar with London but the Monroe poster was part of the exotic excitement of the car journey to the metropolis, along with the thick odour of the Blackwall Tunnel refineries and the vintage cars parked outside a townhouse on the approach to Blackheath.

And the old steam traction engine that was outside one of the houses for years.
    I was going to say, 'That rings a bell'. We're talking about the same property, aren't we? They didn't look particularly well cared for.
  • I remember this well from my childhood, wasn't it replaced with a poster of Debby Harry at one stage?

No, that was my bedroom. Although I had a Debbie Harry poster (my first pin-up) as a teenager and replaced it with a Monroe poster as a student, weirdly the same picture that was in the Eltham window for most of those years - Monroe in a basque and stockings, leaning back against a table. I was 8-years-old, I lived in Hartley - no wonder it stayed in my head.
  • Remember always looking out for it as we drove past, usually driving up to London from Dartford, guess the A2 wasn't built all the way through at that point.
  • Sponsored links:

• Yep - remember it very well - stopped going past it once the relief road was built - guess it must be long gone now ?

Simpler but happy times
  • edited May 2018

Yep - remember it very well - stopped going past it once the relief road was built - guess it must be long gone now ?

Simpler but happy times

"Relief road" - some kind of euphemism???

That poster must have been very, ah, memorable...
  • Yep - remember it very well - stopped going past it once the relief road was built - guess it must be long gone now ?

Simpler but happy times

"Relief road" - some kind of euphemism???

That poster must have been very, ah, memorable...
    Rochester Way relief road - that's its name - or Eltham Bypass if you prefer

However, as young buck who wouldn't look at a poster Ms Monroe and feel the need for some 'relief' !!!!
  • Travelling back to Paddock Wood a bit low after the match but this has cheered me up. I grew up in Bexley and I remember the poster so well. It was really big and you couldn't miss it - seem to recall it filled the whole living room window. It was when I first heard of Marilyn Monroe and I remember my Mum and Dad telling me the whole sad story of her life.
  • mattaddick, you're a kindrid spirit.

I drove down Rochester Way tonight on my way up from the coast and couldn't help but look to my left, hoping to see the return of the poster. It wasn't there.
    Roland out!

• Nug said:

Remember always looking out for it as we drove past, usually driving up to London from Dartford, guess the A2 wasn't built all the way through at that point.

Rochester Way was the A2 before the relief road was opened in 1985.