Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who can make the step up?

With promotion to the Championship still a possibility, how many of our current squad (inc. loanees) will be good enough next season?

Of course the concern is that Roland wont sell before the end of August, worst case scenario from that is that the squad wont be strengthened and what we've already got will have to be enough:

Goalkeepers: Ben Amos
Defence: Jay Dasilva | Patrick Bauer | Jason Pearce | Ezri Konsa
Midfield: Tariqe Fosu | Jake Forster-Caskey | Ahmed Kashi | Billy Clarke
Attack: ...

Have question marks over: Chris Solly | Lewis Page | Mark Marshall | Joe Aribo | Anfernee Dijksteel | Dillon Phillips | Naby Sarr and whether they'd be good enough for Championship Football (the likes of Aribo and Dijksteel no doubt being good enough eventually but maybe not straight away) - Whilst would struggle to think of any of our current Strikers who'd be good enough to make their mark

Comments

• LenGlover said:

Not a bad list. The only one on your main list I'd question is Pearce, which I accept is possibly harsh given his recent talismanic form, but we're talking about a higher level where pace is more important.

Dependent on his recovery from serious injury I'd add Billy Clarke as a possibility given his early form pre injury.

Of your question marks I'd say Marshall no and push Aribo up one to the main list.

Cheers - Typically forgot about Billy Clarke who I do think could step up

I've got question marks against Marshall's age, yet he is quick still so could be useful
  • LenGlover said:

Not a bad list. The only one on your main list I'd question is Pearce, which I accept is possibly harsh given his recent talismanic form, but we're talking about a higher level where pace is more important.

Dependent on his recovery from serious injury I'd add Billy Clarke as a possibility given his early form pre injury.

Of your question marks I'd say Marshall no and push Aribo up one to the main list.

Cheers - Typically forgot about Billy Clarke who I do think could step up

I've got question marks against Marshall's age, yet he is quick still so could be useful
    I like Marshall's work ethic but his crossing is not great and I think he may be too physically lightweight in the Championship too. That's before we consider his age.
  • edited May 2018
    that's my only issue with promotion is that with our current squad i would expect us to be in a relegation scrap at best, if we don't go up i would like to see roland sell, bowyer given the job full time and some proper backing, amos id love to see signed on a permanent as i think hes a very good keeper.

and us to smash the league next year in a powellesque manner.
  • that's my only issue with promotion is that with our current squad i would expect us to be in a relegation scrap at best

Thats my concern too... I worry we wouldnt even be in a relegation scrap and we'd just been cannon fodder

If that was the case Id rather another season in League One where we challenge properly and then go up so that we're competitive in the Championship - Rather than going up this year, coming down next and then the following season being in League One where we're having to recover mentally from a relegation
  • Not many, fortunately we may have wealthy new owners so if and its a big if, we get promoted, they will have to spend big.

I would keep the following, similar to you list.

Ben Amos perm deal.
    Jay Dasilva, but on a perm.
    Patrick Bauer
    Joe Aribo
    Jason Pearce
    Ezri Konsa
    Tariqe Fosu
    Maginnis.

I have to confess Ive not seen a lot of the other players.
  • If the squad isn't strengthened clearly we'll struggle, though getting the right loan players in can make a lot of difference. It'll be interesting what happens to Amos and JDS next season, as I'm sure scouts from Championship clubs have been watching them.

With your list I'd add Magennis and Reeves as players who might be able to step up. Magennis can certainly do a job for us at a higher level, his performances for N Ireland show that albeit not as a central goal scorer

• Also wonder if Igor Vetokele (Under the right English Manager) could re-discover the form he had when he first joined the club as he was lethal at this level under Bob Peeters - If Naby Sarr can resurect his career then so can Igor
  • that's my only issue with promotion is that with our current squad i would expect us to be in a relegation scrap at best

Thats my concern too... I worry we wouldnt even be in a relegation scrap and we'd just been cannon fodder

If that was the case Id rather another season in League One where we challenge properly and then go up so that we're competitive in the Championship - Rather than going up this year, coming down next and then the following season being in League One where we're having to recover mentally from a relegation
    the championship has changed so much, there are some really big clubs up there with huge budgets, of course we have to get there 1st but for me id rather see us have a competitive crack at it instead of being relegated by march next season.
  • Sponsored links:

• FAVADDICK said:

I spoke to igor yesterday he really wants to come back to help the team he asked to come back in January but someone blocked the move and he will be at Wembley if we get there

he regularly "likes" charlton and other charlton player's instagram posts

the championship has changed so much, there are some really big clubs up there with huge budgets, of course we have to get there 1st but for me id rather see us have a competitive crack at it instead of being relegated by march next season.
    Millwall, as we know, just missed the playoffs, and they didn't spend much this season after going up from 6th last season...

Even Bolton managed to survive, the goal that kept them up being scored by a 38 year old striker, so it's not impossible
  • I think Page has looked good and deserves a shot at it. The younger players like Aribo likewise....they can still develop. That's not the same as relying on them, obviously we'd need new blood.

It's the older legs/lags who you have to question. ..Marshall not enough quality, Chris alas looks a spent force but may post-op he may bounce back. But it's the forward line that's the big worry.

But hey, let's worry about the next 3 games first. ..

Millwall, as we know, just missed the playoffs, and they didn't spend much this season after going up from 6th last season...

Even Bolton managed to survive, the goal that kept them up being scored by a 38 year old striker, so it's not impossible
    of course not impossible, Bolton did however spend 7 million, what i mean more is we are only better going up if we get new owners in this clown isn't going to back us and will be another waste of time.

• edited May 2018
    LenGlover said:

Dependent on his recovery from serious injury I'd add Billy Clarke as a possibility given his early form pre injury. Solly, if he recovers, would also be on the main list as a proven Championship player previously.

But just doesn't look like one any more. No time for sentiment when you're promoted.

I'd definitely keep Page. He's just about been our best player, when he's played, this season.

Agree with @ForeverAddickted 's list otherwise.

Magennis isn't quite good enough for that Championship, but if money was an issue, you'd maybe think of keeping him as a second or third choice striker, maybe.

Tom Lawrence signed for Derby in August for £7m from Leicester... He's a winger / forward who has only scored six goals this season - Thats the measure of the Championship now

Yes Millwall / Sheff Utd / Bolton have all coped with the Division yet lets see how they do second time round.
  • I think Page has looked good and deserves a shot at it. The younger players like Aribo likewise....they can still develop. That's not the same as relying on them, obviously we'd need new blood.

It's the older legs/lags who you have to question. ..Marshall not enough quality, Chris alas looks a spent force but may post-op he may bounce back. But it's the forward line that's the big worry.

But hey, let's worry about the next 3 games first. ..

JamesSeed said:

LenGlover said:

Dependent on his recovery from serious injury I'd add Billy Clarke as a possibility given his early form pre injury. Solly, if he recovers, would also be on the main list as a proven Championship player previously.

But just doesn't look like one any more. No time for sentiment when you're promoted.

Agree with @ForeverAddickted 's list 100%
    Have to admit with Solly he's in a crack between the list of players than can make it and those that cant - Its easily done as he's so small... Yet do wonder if he's just been poorly managed by Robinson this season

He's in my top three favourite players at the club at the moment, yet his form has nose dived of late, for me there has to be a reason other than the fact that he's potentially been carrying an injury
  • My team/squad would look something like this
    New GK (Happy to sign Amos permanently) and new cover with Phillips going out on loan
    Solly and Page as cover, so full-backs both sides needed (happy to go with JDS again)
    Quality new CB to compete with Bauer and Pearce. Would probably accept Sarr as 4th choice. Konsa to be sold and Lennon is shit
    Kashi will probably go. Would bring in a quality CM to compete with JFC, Dijksteel and Aribo.
    Reeves and Clark to stay in CM/AM
    Wingers - Fosu to start, keep Marshall but desperately need a new one with Marshall 3rd choice
    Strikers - Need 2 in to compete with Magennis. Then either KAG out on loan and keep Ajose, or flog Ajose and keep KAG

In my opinion, only Bauer, JFC and Fosu would start in my ideal Championship team. Would add Amos and JDS but there obviously not our players.

That's 9 new players, but is outgoing of the 5 loanees, Kashi, Konsa, Lennon and then either KAG/Ajose plus Phillips on loan.

It leaves pretty much 2 players for every position and a squad of 23 players.
  • edited May 2018
    In terms of bringing players in ... Lyle Taylor and Brett Pitman might not be bad shouts as Strikers

Definitely want Erhun Oztumer as believe he's good enough to play in the Championship - Would also pinch a couple of Shrewsbury players (although reckon there are a few who'll do that); Jon Nolan (CM) and Omar Beckles (CB)

Marcus Maddison and Jack Marriott would be good signings from Peterborough but they're b*****ds when it comes to negotiating and will probably want £10m just for Marriott
  • Sponsored links:

• Goalkeepers: Amos Phillips

Amos is good enough, Phillips is ok as backup but we'd need a third, someone who is an older, experienced keeper who can teach the other 2 but ensures we don't just rely on Amos if he gets injured

Defenders: Konsa, Dasilva Pearce, Bauer, Solly, Page Lennon, Sarr

If we kept Konsa, he'd need a new partner IMO. Pearce and Bauer are fine as options, but I'm not confident they'll be good enough as starters week in week out. Dasilva is more than capable, Page and Solly again as squad players, but we'd need a new right back.

Midfielders: Fosu, Forster-Caskey, Kashi Aribo, Clarke, Marshall, Dijksteel Reeves, Kaikai, Jackson

Fosu is good enough, as are Kashi and JFC. We'd need a new winger on the right, Marshall is ok as backup and we'll have to see about Clarke given the injury. Aribo is probably good enough too but isn't tested at that level yet, same for Dijksteel. Kaikai thankfully isn't ours, but Reeves is, and I don't think he'll step up.

Forwards: Magennis, Ahearne-Grant Zyro, Ajose, Mavididi

Big Josh is ok as an option off the bench, but thats about it, KAG is unproven at this level but his Crawley loan may have lit the spark. No-one else is good enough.

Based on that we need to buy CB, RB, RM, STx2 to start regularly, and probably sign another 3 squad players to have a 25 man squad capable of competing in the Championship
  • Is our current squad any weaker than the one Peters inherited?

That summer we bought in igor, bikey, Tbh, jbg and a number of others, added 4 more in January and actually had a decent championship team/squad for a while.
  • Dijksteel is good enough for the Championship, he just needs more games to build his confidence.
    Quality player.

Kashi is more than good enough - but does he want it ?

Konsa is going to be like Cousins, will always step up to the challenge even if he is a bit short on skill.

Magennis is not even good enough for L1, nor is Zyro or Ajose.

Bauer still has it to prove at that level.

Pearce fell a bit short when he went up with Wigan (I think), but that was a while ago.

Clarke is great for L1 - not sure about a step up, same goes for Marshall

Page, Reeves and Aribo could struggle

Fosu and JFC would adapt, but JFC couldn't get into a good Brighton side up there.

Amos and Dasilva would be fine, but Solly probably not.

Mavididi needs to adapt his play to a team game - he is far too individual, like a lot of younger players nowadays tring to prove themselves. He should spend some time with Clarke and see how he positions himself to develop play for others.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Is our current squad any weaker than the one Peters inherited?

That summer we bought in igor, bikey, Tbh, jbg and a number of others, added 4 more in January and actually had a decent championship team/squad for a while.

I'd say yes... Prior to Peeters joining we still had the nucleous of our League One winning team (bar BWP | Kermorgant | Stephens) - The current squad is a lot weaker and would probably get battered by that team we had back then, not to mention they're playing in a weaker League One than the one we won in my opinion
  • Dijksteel is good enough for the Championship, he just needs more games to build his confidence.
    Quality player.

Kashi is more than good enough - but does he want it ?

Konsa is going to be like Cousins, will always step up to the challenge even if he is a bit short on skill.

Magennis is not even good enough for L1, nor is Zyro or Ajose.

Bauer still has it to prove at that level.

Pearce fell a bit short when he went up with Wigan (I think), but that was a while ago.

Clarke is great for L1 - not sure about a step up, same goes for Marshall

Page, Reeves and Aribo could struggle

Fosu and JFC would adapt, but JFC couldn't get into a good Brighton side up there.

Amos and Dasilva would be fine, but Solly probably not.

Mavididi needs to adapt his play to a team game - he is far too individual, like a lot of younger players nowadays tring to prove themselves. He should spend some time with Clarke and see how he positions himself to develop play for others.

Mavididi (as far as I'm aware) is an Arsenal player on loan and Da Silva likewise from Chelsea, so doubt they'll be here next season whatever division we are in.

• In terms of bringing players in ... Lyle Taylor and Brett Pitman might not be bad shouts as Strikers

Definitely want Erhun Oztumer as believe he's good enough to play in the Championship - Would also pinch a couple of Shrewsbury players (although reckon there are a few who'll do that); Jon Nolan (CM) and Omar Beckles (CB)

Marcus Maddison and Jack Marriott would be good signings from Peterborough but they're b*****ds when it comes to negotiating and will probably want £10m just for Marriott

I imagine that all the promoted teams from L1 will be cherry picking the best players from the sides which didn't go up, it's the obvious place to start.

Are the Shrewsbury players good as individuals, or are they a great team?

• JamesSeed said:

LenGlover said:

I'd definitely keep Page. He's just about been our best player, when he's played, this season.

Agree with @ForeverAddickted 's list otherwise.

Magennis isn't quite good enough for that Championship, but if money was an issue, you'd maybe think of keeping him as a second or third choice striker, maybe.
    The question with Solly is WHY he has not played to his previous exemplary high standards week in week out.

At the age of only 27 it has to be injury related in my opinion hence my caveat IF he recovers.

A fully fit Solly of c 2014 or so could probably have played in the Prem successfully.

'We've got Chris Solly he's f****** quality' is apt when he is fit.
  • I hate threads like this ... counting our chickens before they've hatched
  • sam3110 said:

Goalkeepers: Amos Phillips

Amos is good enough, Phillips is ok as backup but we'd need a third, someone who is an older, experienced keeper who can teach the other 2 but ensures we don't just rely on Amos if he gets injured

Defenders: Konsa, Dasilva Pearce, Bauer, Solly, Page Lennon, Sarr

If we kept Konsa, he'd need a new partner IMO. Pearce and Bauer are fine as options, but I'm not confident they'll be good enough as starters week in week out. Dasilva is more than capable, Page and Solly again as squad players, but we'd need a new right back.

Midfielders: Fosu, Forster-Caskey, Kashi Aribo, Clarke, Marshall, Dijksteel Reeves, Kaikai, Jackson

Fosu is good enough, as are Kashi and JFC. We'd need a new winger on the right, Marshall is ok as backup and we'll have to see about Clarke given the injury. Aribo is probably good enough too but isn't tested at that level yet, same for Dijksteel. Kaikai thankfully isn't ours, but Reeves is, and I don't think he'll step up.

Forwards: Magennis, Ahearne-Grant Zyro, Ajose, Mavididi

Big Josh is ok as an option off the bench, but thats about it, KAG is unproven at this level but his Crawley loan may have lit the spark. No-one else is good enough.

Based on that we need to buy CB, RB, RM, STx2 to start regularly, and probably sign another 3 squad players to have a 25 man squad capable of competing in the Championship

Agree with most of what you say apart from CB. Konsa cannot get a game in our side at the minute. I still think Bauer can do a job at CB and would be looking at a partner for him. Genuinely would not be massively unhappy if Konsa goes as long as we get a decent price for him.
  • FAVADDICK said:

I spoke to igor yesterday he really wants to come back to help the team he asked to come back in January but someone blocked the move and he will be at Wembley if we get there

Just looked it up just 3 goals in 25 for STVV in the league this season, although 8 in 17 last season. Saw him play when we all invaded S-T last March but inevitably he got injured again in the game so no real chance to assess if the 'real Igor" was back. I just have the horrible fear that we mismanaged his injuries so much that we have permanently damaged him.