Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Stoke City- Seen it all before

It's February, Stoke are a sitting comfortably mid-table on 33 points. 36 is the new 40. Stoke have a decent squad and an excellent manager. However they have lost their last 3 games 3-0 and are out of the FA Cup.
Sound familiar? Who really wants to be EPL cannon fodder?

Comments

• Imagine their wage bill...if they went down it would be disastrous. And I don't say that with any pleasure.
  • Valley11 said:

Imagine their wage bill...if they went down it would be disastrous. And I don't say that with any pleasure.

They are suffering from that cup defeat. I expect Hughes to pick them up
  • Valley11 said:

Imagine their wage bill...if they went down it would be disastrous. And I don't say that with any pleasure.

Don't think they would struggle to move Bojan, Arnautovic and shakiri on.
  • dizzee said:

Valley11 said:

Don't think they would struggle to move Bojan, Arnautovic and shakiri on.
    Yeah but would be at a highly knock down price
  • Valley11 said:

the golden parachute would DEFINITELY help out the poor Bet Free Sex Foive owner
  • edited February 2016
    It took us 15 years to properly recover from getting relegated from the Pl in 2000, it was the wage bill that killed us too and it has been lots of other clubs.
    If you're going to be up against it in the Pl like the Norwichs and afcbs of this world then you really have to think carefully about what type of contracts you're willing to give out .

If villa do drop their wage bill would be enormous and they could become yet another giant visiting the pub league that is league one .
  • Players have to be realistic, clubs should offer contracts with a relegation clause so that wages can be adjusted depending on the division the club is in.

• For all their attacking flair, Stoke are so dependant on Shawcross. He went off injured in the first 3-0, and has missed the next two 3-0s!

Man City are the same, rubbish in defence without Kompany, it's amazing how few decent CBs are out there
  • iaitch said:

Players have to be realistic, clubs should offer contracts with a relegation clause so that wages can be adjusted depending on the division the club is in.

"Like" x 100!
  • For all their attacking flair, Stoke are so dependant on Shawcross. He went off injured in the first 3-0, and has missed the next two 3-0s!

Man City are the same, rubbish in defence without Kompany, it's amazing how few decent CBs are out there

Oh I don't know if that's true about CBs. Johnson and Sarr were pretty good signings:-)
  • Sponsored links:

• That's the risk you take, when you try and rejuvinate yourself. They've gone from one footballing extreme to the other. It may work out for them, or it may go horribly wrong.
  • iaitch said:

Players have to be realistic, clubs should offer contracts with a relegation clause so that wages can be adjusted depending on the division the club is in.

Thats what we did wasnt it as it ensured that El-Kakouri / Rommedahl / Young were able to walk away from relegated Charlton, in a sense it screwed us over because having those players in our side I reckon we'd have bounced straight back...

Instead we had to deal with relegation and we had to rebuild the squad from scratch which along with terrible signings was what cost us.

Whenever a team gets relegated from the Premier League I always look at who they have to sell, still don't think any team has instantly been dismantled as ours was that year (Maybe Queens Park Rangers this season come closest?)
  • Don't see Stoke getting relegated to be honest there are at least three worse teams in The Prem. They have a blip, albeit a bad one but I am sure they will recover enough to survive.
  • The bottom six will be the ones to fight it out for the relegation places... Dont see Sunderland or Aston Villa surviving yet the latter seem to be coming to life whilst Norwich appear to be nose diving once more
  • edited February 2016
    With all due respect two of those 3-0 results were away to Leicester and Man Utd. The former just put three past Man City and the letter still have players that can turn it on on the day. The Everton result was poor, granted, but it's hardly as though they have been beaten by teams in the bottom three. They are nine points away from the relegation zone and only ten points away from Man Utd who ate 5th.

I think the premature suggestion that they have given up for the season is a little but unfair. Also remember that they have played ten games in five weeks, something that none of those teams that beat them 3-0 have had to do.

I fully expect them to pick up and in answer to the OP I would love to swap league positions with them. Just before they lost 3-0 at Leicester and Man Utd we lost 5-0 at Huddersfield and 6-0 at Hull. Premier League 'canon fodder'? Oh yes please!
  • iaitch said:

I bet Chelsea's players don't have a relegation clause.

Similarly, I doubt Leicester's have a Title winning or even a CL qualification bonus clause!
  • Don't see Stoke getting relegated to be honest there are at least three worse teams in The Prem. They have a blip, albeit a bad one but I am sure they will recover enough to survive.

This - Stoke will not go down.
  • Stoke City 1-2 Crystal Palarse

Stoke City are relegated
  • Reading the piece on BBC sport today about Charlie Allen saying 5 or so players have been hiding and taking the piss this season. He should name them. He’s a decent pro and along with the likes of Shawcross, Butland and Xhakiri have probably tried their best. The money footballers earn these days, if they have 5 players who have taken the piss, they should be outted.

These players are just going to fade out into the background without any accountability, whereas the fans are the ones who will have to help them rebuild

For me when clubs have pisstakers on their books there should be some shaming
  • Stoke no bigger than a lot of sides in the Championship. They had their go - time for someone else.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2018
    Only 6 clubs still in the Prem since the beginning. Not that Stoke were one but were one of the 8 present this season that had done 10+ consecutive seasons.
  • Another pretenders' time is up I'm afraid
  • I think West Brom will come back up within the next 2 years, I don’t think Stoke will be back there any time soon.
  • Riviera said:

Only 6 clubs still in the Prem since the beginning. Not that Stoke were one but were one of the 8 present this season that had done 10 consecutive seasons.

An amazing achievement to last 10 consecutive years, that team will need a complete rebuild to get promoted again, as the best players will leave, while any of the rest aren't bothered or are too old
  • Riviera said:

Only 6 clubs still in the Prem since the beginning. Not that Stoke were one but were one of the 8 present this season that had done 10 consecutive seasons.

An amazing achievement to last 10 consecutive years, that team will need a complete rebuild to get promoted again, as the best players will leave, while any of the rest aren't bothered or are too old
    Two cup finals and European football is an excellent achievement for Stoke.

Compare that to the previous ten season of Forest, Leeds, Sheffield clubs who IMO are bigger clubs who all have spent 3 plus years in league 1.
  • edited May 2018
    cabbles said:

Reading the piece on BBC sport today about Charlie Allen saying 5 or so players have been hiding and taking the piss this season. He should name them. He’s a decent pro and along with the likes of Shawcross, Butland and Xhakiri have probably tried their best. The money footballers earn these days, if they have 5 players who have taken the piss, they should be outted.

These players are just going to fade out into the background without any accountability, whereas the fans are the ones who will have to help them rebuild

For me when clubs have pisstakers on their books there should be some shaming

Don’t know much about Stoke but I am betting Saido Berahino may just be one of them....! Kevin Wimmer, Affeley and Imbula are also widely reported as being others... over £50M worth of transfers in that lot.
  • cfgs said:

Seems that without huge financial outlay that seven to ten years is the maximum stay for any side in the Premier League, then changes to personnel and the ethos of the club will have changed so much that they will have completely lost what got them promoted in the first place.

Rings a bell.