Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Les Herbiers and the French Cup Final

Love a good David V Goliath story!

This one from the BBC Sport page on Les Herbiers march to the French Cup final where they will face PSG.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43956998

I remember taking a ferry across to Calais for the 2000 final. What a great day that was!

Comments

• Brilliant. Love this bit:

Les Herbiers, who are the fifth team from the third or fourth divisions to reach the final, are virtually bringing the whole town to the final. They have a population of 15,933 and have sold roughly 15,000 tickets.
  • Their entire annual budget would pay Neymar's wages for 16 days
  • It's the equivalent club size wise of Manchester City v Fleetwood.
  • Seems a bit unfair, some bloke called Les having to play every German in Paris.
  • Darn it, Beat me to it fkDW, spotted this last week, and I was keeping my powder dry to wish them luck tomorrow... :smiley: So good luck Les Herbiers!
  • Not a French speaker, but does their name actually translate to The Herbs? Not exactly inspiring if so.
  • It is the name of the "commune" and translates as The Herbarium:

herbarium
    həːˈbɛːrɪəm/
    noun
    plural noun: herbaria
    a systematically arranged collection of dried plants.
    a room or building housing a herbarium.
    a box or other receptacle in which dried plants are kept.

No I had never heard the term either... I prefer your idea RCC. :+1:
  • In the morning Lux paper they are stating the players earn a maximum of 3,000 euros a month - (not sure if its capped).
  • Just to check, given that PSG are Frejch champions, can we look forward to seeing Les Herbiers in the Europa League next season (I asume they will come in at an early stage if so)?
  • edited May 2018

Just to check, given that PSG are Frejch champions, can we look forward to seeing Les Herbiers in the Europa League next season (I asume they will come in at an early stage if so)?

Only if they win it.
    A PSG win would give the place to the team that finish 6th
  • Sponsored links:

• is this on tv by any chance?
  • Can't see anything but a 6 or 7 goal win in this one but i'm backing Les H to get on the score-sheet at least. But who knows football is a funny old game.

Sky 717 apparently

Sky 717 apparently
    wow. some nice find there. odd French channel.

Sky 717 apparently
    Nice one mate cheers for that!
  • I bet Neymar is gutted he's injured, it's this type of epic clash he left Barcelona for
  • the commentary might be in French but its already better than Owen Hargreaves (tbf that aint hard to do.)
  • makes me feel as if I'm on holiday.
  • edited May 2018
    those bastards psg are spoiling it. 1-0 to psg. 26 mins.
  • Took 27 minutes tho
  • Sponsored links:

• FFS

Zut alors, s'il vous plaît
  • FFS

Zut alors, s'il vous plaît
    err, yeah exactly
  • come on the herbs!
  • In the morning Lux paper they are stating the players earn a maximum of 3,000 euros a month - (not sure if its capped).

Their highest paid player is on 2500€ a month
  • PSG had a front 3 of
    Di Maria Cavani Mbappe

And only managed 2 goals

Great defence work from Les Herbiers
  • Relegated to the 4th tier tonight. 2 teams below them both got a point.

What a week of emotion