Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Seasonal Affective Disorder

In my long quest to get relief from my periods of depression I have recognised that by mid April my mood just suddenly lifted. From being almost unable to get out of bed until the last minute I was getting up at 6:30. I was suddenly able to eat breakfast - the thought of it made me feel sick previously - and an overwhelming feeling of impending doom just went.

So, it's either the likelihood of RD finally leaving the club, Karl Robinson handing over the reins to Lee B or something else and I am beginning to think that I may have quite severe SAD.

So once you've all stopped taking the piss, does anyone have experience of this, and have you found any treatment effective as it really fucks my life up for around 4-6 months of the year.

Comments

• I use a light box between October and March. Had made a big difference. Also use a dawn simulation clock which wakes you up gradually to bright light.
  • You can get lamps for this, to increase the "light" you receive in the darker months.
  • I use a light box between October and March. Had made a big difference. Also use a dawn simulation clock which wakes you up gradually to bright light.

That's brilliant. Was thinking of going this route. Any recommendations?
  • You can get lamps for this, to increase the "light" you receive in the darker months.

I use one daily for about 45 mins. Put it by the computer when I'm using it. You can get light visors where you walk round with a light on your head (pointing at your eyes). I've never felt brave enough to wear one.
  • I've read you need to have it 20cm from your face...do you use it at work?
  • Another vote for a light box here - winter gets miserable without one. Or move somewhere sunnier. :-)

My mood is definitely worse during Autumn/Winter but think it’s more likely to do with my own condition. Having said that, I think anyone who might be prone to depressive periods will undoubtedly be affected by the gloomier months, blanket grey skies and constant rain. At times when we do get sunny Autumn/Winter days then I’m generally much lifted.

I’ve tried light boxes and they didn’t do anything for me, hence why I think it’s my condition rather than time of year. I’ve also tried the dawn simulation unfortunately didn’t wake me up.

My mood is definitely worse during Autumn/Winter but think it’s more likely to do with my own condition. Having said that, I think anyone who might be prone to depressive periods will undoubtedly be affected by the gloomier months, blanket grey skies and constant rain. At times when we do get sunny Autumn/Winter days then I’m generally much lifted.

I’ve tried light boxes and they didn’t do anything for me, hence why I think it’s my condition rather than time of year. I’ve also tried the dawn simulation unfortunately didn’t wake me up.
    Can @CLB74 'take in' this post.

Can @CLB74 'take in' this post.
    Im miserable all year round
  • edited May 2018
    A couple of people, I know use the SAD lights, one is South African and misses the sun, the other is just miserable and has the personality of a brown windowed envelope.
  • Sponsored links:

• I prescribe 6 months in the Maldives.

signed Dr Buckshee
  • I use a wake up lamp. They've been shown to be as effective as the light boxes.
    In October I started having ice cold showers instead of warm because I heard it was good for lifting mood.
    Between the two of them something definitely worked because I had my best winter for years.
  • vffvff
    edited May 2018
    Reading a book on sleep and recovery - by an expert who advised Manchester Utd / Arsenal / England National team / Olympic cycling team - that there are headphones that shine line through the ear drum. Apparently good for travel and jet lag but also for likely good for boosting light levels in the winter.
  • I've found this - fantastic resource.

http://www.sada.org.uk

I work outside (animal rescue)! This is why I've thought of getting a visor one. But I use the light box at home when catching up with CL etc. I tend to sit about 30cm away. I bought a portable one for the rare occasions I'm away. It's a lot smaller and you have to sit at 20cm.

I work outside (animal rescue)! This is why I've thought of getting a visor one. But I use the light box at home when catching up with CL etc. I tend to sit about 30cm away. I bought a portable one for the rare occasions I'm away. It's a lot smaller and you have to sit at 20cm.
    Thanks mate. Appreciate your input.
  • Could try these, for lifting blue moods generally rather than specifically SAD. I find them helpful although also find I get sunburnt more easily when taking them which is odd !

https://www.mind1st.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoqOwj52B2wIVybHtCh344wy3EAAYASAAEgIOdPD_BwE

• Could try these, for lifting blue moods generally rather than specifically SAD. I find them helpful although also find I get sunburnt more easily when taking them which is odd !

https://www.mind1st.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoqOwj52B2wIVybHtCh344wy3EAAYASAAEgIOdPD_BwE

I think I got some benefits from taking vit D...but it's always hard to tell.