Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Will we win the play offs?

Comments

• Options
    Also will it be on sky? As westham vs United is the game on sky
  • Options

Who cares? We’re on our way to Wemberley, Wemberley.

Oh, and yes it is.
  • Options
    I don't believe we are a Championship quality squad. We just aren't. Even if we get there, unless we have a multi-million pound commitment of net spending on depth in the summer window, I would pick us as being relegation candidates back to League One in 2018-19. Still, I guess I would rather be a relegation candidate while in the Championship than at the top of the table club in League One next year.
  • Options

I don't believe we are a Championship quality squad. We just aren't. Even if we get there, unless we have a multi-million pound commitment of net spending on depth in the summer window, I would pick us as being relegation candidates back to League One in 2018-19. Still, I guess I would rather be a relegation candidate while in the Championship than at the top of the table club in League One next year.

We probably said that after St Christopher took the team up as Champions of Division Three. The following season didn't turn out too bad.

Qualities that squad did have though: character and togetherness. Individually the players may not have been top drawer but the combined unit was more than a match for the division.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    PeterTate said:

Agree that you have to say YES. Geothe wrote something that had a profound effect on my life. A precis as follows-'Once you commit you unleash an enormous amount of energy towards that to which you commit' We, as supporters, I believe should commit to the idea that we will win not only this upcoming match, against Shrewsbury, but the playoff final itself. This energy can truly help the team achieve what we all want which is promotion. What you say or think has a profound effect on one's own life and those around you. Here's to success!

My German friend says the same thing. We’ll never win the World Cup so long as we, and our press, are so negative.

We’re guilty of the same attitudes at Charlton. Aren’t we?
  • Options
    edited May 2018

We probably said that after St Christopher took the team up as Champions of Division Three. The following season didn't turn out too bad.

Qualities that squad did have though: character and togetherness. Individually the players may not have been top drawer but the combined unit was more than a match for the division.
    Hope you are correct!
  • Options

I imagine that the "Premier League" channel as well as "Main Event" channel will have the WHU v MU game while the "Football" channel will show our game.
  • Options

Burton stayed up for 2 seasons with far less resources than us
    Bolton stayed up with no money
    Millwall nearly made the playoffs this season after winning the playoffs last season

Anyway, who cares. That's a problem for the new owners...
  • Options
    Been saying all season - and it's not rocket science - we lack someone to put the ball in the net. Watched the Rochdale game and our one and two-touch football left the Dale players chasing shadows -but our final ball/cross was abysmal. Another one of those games where we virtually dominate matters but we could have played for another 4 hours and not scored. Why should the fact we have made the play-offs make any difference? To be fair we are very good at defending a lead but if we have to chase for a result I fear we will come up short. Let's hope for three 1-0 wins!
  • Options
    Yes we can, but like every other team we will need a little luck and a moment of inspiration.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    addick05 said:

Been saying all season - and it's not rocket science - we lack someone to put the ball in the net. Watched the Rochdale game and our one and two-touch football left the Dale players chasing shadows -but our final ball/cross was abysmal. Another one of those games where we virtually dominate matters but we could have played for another 4 hours and not scored. Why should the fact we have made the play-offs make any difference? To be fair we are very good at defending a lead but if we have to chase for a result I fear we will come up short. Let's hope for three 1-0 wins!

Shrewsbury have only scored 2 more goals than us all season!
  • Options
    Ex player leads charlton into playoffs. Loses on penalties in semi-finals. Wins league following year. Flashback? Or prediction?
  • Options
    One for our American friends.

I believe that we will win
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

PeterTate said:

Agree that you have to say YES. Geothe wrote something that had a profound effect on my life. A precis as follows-'Once you commit you unleash an enormous amount of energy towards that to which you commit' We, as supporters, I believe should commit to the idea that we will win not only this upcoming match, against Shrewsbury, but the playoff final itself. This energy can truly help the team achieve what we all want which is promotion. What you say or think has a profound effect on one's own life and those around you. Here's to success!

My German friend says the same thing. We’ll never win the World Cup so long as we, and our press, are so negative.

We’re guilty of the same attitudes at Charlton. Aren’t we?
    Having won bugger-all since 1966 and lot's of average performances since, and you wonder why England fans are so negative?!
  • Options

addick05 said:

Fair enough - but they finished 16 points better than us and conceded 28 goals less than us. As I said, we are capable of winning three games 1-0 but my worry is if and when we concede and have to chase a game.
  • Options
    addick05 said:

addick05 said:

Fair enough - but they finished 16 points better than us and conceded 28 goals less than us. As I said, we are capable of winning three games 1-0 but my worry is if and when we concede and have to chase a game.
    BUT ...

We had a Scouse chancer in charge for most of the season.

We don't now.

We've got Lord Bowyer.

We will win.
  • Options

SE23 said:

25% chance. Simple as that.

Not really as only have to win 2 games in theory so higher than a 25% chance.
    Four teams. One makes it. 1/4 = 25%.

I am putting this in your Christmas stocking this year.

PS- I am just teasing you!image
    Okay. But I suspect it's not really a one-in-four chance. Take the UEFA Champions League round of 16 as an example. Their stats show that since the concept started in 2002/03, 72% of teams playing at home in the second leg win the tie. I mention this because the tie is seeded with the group stage winners being at home in the second leg.

That's pretty much the situation for our play-offs. The teams finishing 3rd and 4th get to play at home in the second leg.
    Even though the "away goals count double" thing doesn't apply here, I'd say knowing precisely what you've got to do to win in front of a partisan home crowd brings a significant advantage.

On top of that the teams finishing 3rd and 4th should be better than the teams finishing 5th and 6th. In our case the league table shows that Shrewsbury are significantly better than us: by a hefty 16 points. They've won 4 more games than they've lost or drawn. We've lost or drawn 6 more games than we've won. Their defence is also better than ours, having conceded less than a goal a game all season both home and away. If i was a betting man....

If by some twist of fate we should get past Shrewsbury though, I reckon we'd win at Wembley.
  • Options
    Yes, I have a good feeling - as long as we don't worry too much about getting a hatfull at the Valley a narrow win or even a draw and it is set up nicely for us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If we made it to the play off final , would roly grace us with his presence at Wembley ?
  • Options

If we made it to the play off final , would roly grace us with his presence at Wembley ?

I hope not!
  • Options

I do not believe we have a Championship quality squad. I am not sure we have a League 1 promotion side either. But this is not the Championship. It is an issue for another day. Nor is this a League 1 season. This is a 3 match tournament.

If we follow the focus of our near neighbours it is not necessarily about the football it is about the spirit, about the ability to compete for every ball, for every tackle, every goal mouth scramble until we win.

It is a big ask, few of the squad will have travelled this journey before. They have the talent. They will all need to rise to the occasion.

I believe Bowyer will have taken responsibility for the Rochdale result. He IS working with a limited and inexperienced squad. He has, as he did this weekend, stretched it to the limits to rest players and give others game time.

He tried a few options. It did not work on Saturday. Sometimes in such circumstances you learn more about certain players. Aribo and Kashi struggled. Marshall and Dasilva were closed down. Zyros and Kaikai offered absolutely nothing. All had game time and you just never know if the ball falls right when the most unlikely of players can deliver a moment of glory.

I believe Shrewsbury will suit us better. They have, of late, been as inconsistent as we have. It will literally be who turns up on the day - for us - in more ways than one. If we come to play Bowyer has shown we can deliver.

Scunthorpe and Rotherham both have the stability, physicality, experience, organisation and game management to challenge us over two games. I fancy Scunthorpe to win this battle.

Beyond that in this league any team can beat any other. We know on any given day we do have the ability in the squad to beat anyone in this league.

It is just one given day.

Bowyer is a winner - it would be an extraordinary outcome but with his background, mentality & guile I would not put it past him. Whatever the outcome he, the coaching staff and the players have put in a real shift in recent weeks to try to deliver something from a shambolic set of circumstances.

If they can continue to grow and step up in the coming days the prize is within their grasp. It is a prize I can see us seizing.

My thoughts exactly.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    What was notable in our previous two or three games before Rochdale was players putting their bodies on the line. On Saturday it would have been unwise to put in that level of energy, but I expect it to be there in spades on Thursday.
  • Options
    No.
  • Options
    Yes. FACT
  • Options
    Praps.
  • Options
    We're on our way
    We're on our way
  • Options
    Lets see where we are next sunday after 10pm