Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rochdale v Charlton POST MATCH THREAD 05/05/2018

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Laddick01 said:

We're a poor team who have scraped into the playoffs. The opening games under Bowyer we looked a bit more of an attacking threat but since then we seem to be as ineffectual as we were under KR but improved defensively.

We were very poor yesterday and weren't great against Blackburn.

If we do scrape through the playoffs we need a lot of new players if we're to survive in the Championship.

You don’t beat the sides we have under bowyer if you’re a poor side

I do wonder with some of our fans...
    We're in League One and have looked poor in a number of games. I'm not sure if we've been watching the same team?

Our midfield and attack has underperformed for most of the season.

Do you think this team would perform in the Championship?

• Options
    JJ looked a bit teary at the end.
  • Options
    I felt first half we played decent stuff for the most part but just lacked that last bit. Second half we weren't so fluid. Maybe subconciously knowing Plymouth were so far behind.
  • Options
    addick05 said:

Taught me three things,

1. We wont score enough goals to win playoffs,
    2. We need to get out of this division at all costs
    3. Football needs to look at the rule surrounding keeping the ball in the corner and obstruction.

No. 1. Totally agree and only the most die-hard Addick could fail to disagree. A failing we have had all season and why should anything change over the next two games?
    No. 2. Again, agree but how do we do that? Certainly not with the mad Belgian at the helm.
    No. 3. Pointless statement, ALL teams do this -remember a certain Tony Watt's escapade? I know it can be frustrating but (and it's a big but) if we are 1-0 up at Wembley with one minute to go and Marshall has the ball in the corner flag 'D' I know what 35,000 Charlton fans will expect him to do!
    You're a misery.

'why should anything change over the next two games?' Because Lee Bowyer's in charge.

Thanks.
  • Options
    AddickRam said:

It appeared obvious to me, that we took a cautious approach, slow tempo. Didn't want to tire ourselves out for the playoffs no stupid bookings or injuries.

Only negative was that it was too casual and we gave the ball away too easy at times, it was a very dry pitch which players found difficult to control and move the ball on, but the practice of playing out from the back through the thirds is good for Wembley. The rotation was needed as we need our fittest strongest squad for Thursday.

????????????

I can only assume you weren't at the game itself, otherwise you would have seen that it was watered both before the start & again at half time, and probably the reason why the players kept slipping over.

Which brings me to a point I was going to post last night but was too tired. I don't know if its down to the insistence of watering pitches (never did years ago & I don't remember many "dry " pitches) or the players wearing blades & not studs, but I have seen so many of our players slipping over when trying to turn with the ball (Marshall, Fosu, Aribo & notably Bauer at Wombles). I wish players would go back to wearing good old fashioned studs - long ones in the winter, shorter ones in autumn & spring and even smaller ones for start & end of season. I remember back in the day when I played that moulded boots were being ousted by the new fangled "screw ins" - many a time sitting in dressing rooms tightening up your studs before going out to play. Really doing my head in. Professional footballers..........pah !!
  • Options

We're a poor team who have scraped into the playoffs. The opening games under Bowyer we looked a bit more of an attacking threat but since then we seem to be as ineffectual as we were under KR but improved defensively.

If we do scrape through the playoffs we need a lot of new players if we're to survive in the Championship.

I agree re: next season but there's no reason that we can't let our momentum carry us to victory in these playoffs.

Let's just hope the takeover goes through by early June and we can spend some money on squad improvements.
  • Options

I agree re: next season but there's no reason that we can't let our momentum carry us to victory in these playoffs.

Let's just hope the takeover goes through by early June and we can spend some money on squad improvements.
    I felt we lost momentum with our performance yesterday - it was disappointing.

None of the teams in the playoffs have really looked very convincing - hard to call who will win.

I really expected a lot from Reeves and Marshall this season but they have both been very anonymous. Very little creativity without Fosu.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

JJ looked a bit teary at the end.

He had £500 on Plymouth beating Gillingham
  • Options

AddickRam said:

It appeared obvious to me, that we took a cautious approach, slow tempo. Didn't want to tire ourselves out for the playoffs no stupid bookings or injuries.

Only negative was that it was too casual and we gave the ball away too easy at times, it was a very dry pitch which players found difficult to control and move the ball on, but the practice of playing out from the back through the thirds is good for Wembley. The rotation was needed as we need our fittest strongest squad for Thursday.

????????????

I can only assume you weren't at the game itself, otherwise you would have seen that it was watered both before the start & again at half time, and probably the reason why the players kept slipping over.

Which brings me to a point I was going to post last night but was too tired. I don't know if its down to the insistence of watering pitches (never did years ago & I don't remember many "dry " pitches) or the players wearing blades & not studs, but I have seen so many of our players slipping over when trying to turn with the ball (Marshall, Fosu, Aribo & notably Bauer at Wombles). I wish players would go back to wearing good old fashioned studs - long ones in the winter, shorter ones in autumn & spring and even smaller ones for start & end of season. I remember back in the day when I played that moulded boots were being ousted by the new fangled "screw ins" - many a time sitting in dressing rooms tightening up your studs before going out to play. Really doing my head in. Professional footballers..........pah !!
    Yes, that was one of my thoughts during the game , that, for example , it seems that Konsa and JDS are always slipping recently.
  • Options
    Some photos from yesterday. Our attacking was so poor that the shots in the box all look like they were from an old fashioned Spot the Ball competition.

Rochdale v Charlton (2 of 26)

Rochdale v Charlton (3 of 26)

Rochdale v Charlton (4 of 26)

Rochdale v Charlton (5 of 26)

Rochdale v Charlton (6 of 26)

Rochdale v Charlton (7 of 26)

Rochdale v Charlton (8 of 26)

Rochdale v Charlton (9 of 26)

Rochdale v Charlton (10 of 26)

Rochdale v Charlton (11 of 26)

Rochdale v Charlton (12 of 26)

Rochdale v Charlton (13 of 26)
  • Options

It was always likely to be a non event, with Plymouth needing to win and turn round a 6 goal difference, with us losing.

As soon as the Gills scored early, it was pretty much done & dusted.

Bowyer undoubtedly did the right thing by playing a few stiffs and resting a few first teamers.

Thanks to Bowyer, we now will have a slightly fresher team for Thursday and no more injuries as far as we know.

I can't begin to understand why many of our fans feel we should have busted a gut, pulled a couple of hamstrings and got a few more injuries, to deplete the team for Thursday.

Glad I didn't go and hope everyone that did enjoyed themselves. Sorry for the poor souls that didn't get there.

Yeh. That's what we are saying.
    "Why didn't we put a few hamstrings and bust guts?"

Personally I am not happy unless we have injured players. Obvs that's the only way to win.

46 games. 46 injuries. Simple.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

I just hope that performance was because the players are saving up a can of whoop ass for Shrewsbury x2 and Scunthorpe in the final. Dreamt Jackson came on at Wembley and curled home a 90th min free kick. COYRs

That's "arse".
  • Options
    At the beginning of the season everybody was saying top 6 is a minimum target. We scraped 6th, after a very mediocre season. If we go up it'll be a travesty, Shrewsbury have been top 2 most of the season, I feel that Charlton this year have been mid table at best, just shows how appalling this league is THB.
  • Options
    satsuma27 said:

At the beginning of the season everybody was saying top 6 is a minimum target. We scraped 6th, after a very mediocre season. If we go up it'll be a travesty, Shrewsbury have been top 2 most of the season, I feel that Charlton this year have been mid table at best, just shows how appalling this league is THB.

We've spent most time in 6th place & that's where we deserved to finish.
    If we go up having ended 6th (like Millwall did last season) it'll be absolutely brilliant & deserved.
  • Options
    satsuma27 said:

If I was a neutral I'd want Shrewsbury to go up. Given how ridiculous our season has been we have to go up....
  • Options
    Didn’t see the game , we done what we had to do in the previous 45 and all that matters is we made the play offs , Bowyer managed as he saw fit for us .

So next time we are relying on a result from another team and their manager rests players and they piss about and put in a shit performance can we not moan, cry and bitch about how it’s not fair .
    I know it’s a long way back but I’m pretty sure in our Prem relegation season Liverpool had a stiffs 11 playing against Fulham near the end of the season and the standard teardrops from our fans that it was out of order etc were in full flow .

Each team have to do what is best for them and we did that , in Bowyer we trust.

Semi final losers 30%
    Final losers 35%
    Promoted from this shit heap of a league 35%

100% Roland Out
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    satsuma27 said:

Won't be a travesty. Over the whole season we picked up enough points to be in the playoffs. Simple as that. We should have picked up more points, especially had we been more efficient at closing games out.

If we were mid table at best, we would have finished mid table at best.

We have Bowyer to thank for the great finish to the season. Robinson also had us starting the season very strongly, which meant we were never too far from the playoffs, even after poor spells of form, injuries etc.
  • Options
    satsuma27 said:

And didn't we beat Shrewsbury the other week?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

addick05 said:

Taught me three things,

3. Football needs to look at the rule surrounding keeping the ball in the corner and obstruction.

No. 1. Totally agree and only the most die-hard Addick could fail to disagree. A failing we have had all season and why should anything change over the next two games?
    No. 2. Again, agree but how do we do that? Certainly not with the mad Belgian at the helm.
    No. 3. Pointless statement, ALL teams do this -remember a certain Tony Watt's escapade? I know it can be frustrating but (and it's a big but) if we are 1-0 up at Wembley with one minute to go and Marshall has the ball in the corner flag 'D' I know what 35,000 Charlton fans will expect him to do!
    You're a misery.

'why should anything change over the next two games?' Because Lee Bowyer's in charge.

Thanks.
    Not at all, just thinking along practical lines, which is just what Bowyer did with his team selection on Saturday. Bowyer is not the 'second coming' but he has demonstrated a certain nous and quietly got on with what is a difficult job. He has to work with what he's got and as far as our strikers go that ain't a lot.

• Options
    addick05 said:

JamesSeed said:

addick05 said:

Taught me three things,

You're a misery.

Thanks.
    Bowyer is not the 'second coming'

Altogether now: "he's a very very naughty boy!"
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Crikey that Jesus bloke even made it on The One Show, he is nearly as famous now as the fabricated bloke he is named after.

(My disabled son loves the one show.)