Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Phil parkinson

Deserves a lot of credit for keeping Bolton up given the funding constraints they were under. Amazing job.

Comments

• As that other thread hasn't been used for over 10 years, and had only 4 posts anyway, I think a new thread can be justified!
    Fight. Fight. Fight. Fight.
  • Give that man a prime-time chat show.
  • edited May 2018

Liked Parky felt he was harshly treated at Charlton

They didn’t call him Mr Charisma for nothing.
  • Liked Parky felt he was harshly treated at Charlton

He was. It would have been interesting if he, like Powell had been able to create his own team in the following summer as most of the players he had were ones he'd inherited or brought in with no money.
  • Liked Parky felt he was harshly treated at Charlton

He was. It would have been interesting if he, like Powell had been able to create his own team in the following summer as most of the players he had were ones he'd inherited or brought in with no money.
    If you look at the squad he was working with it was pretty desperate yet he got us to the playoffs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Harshly treated only in that he was actually given the job after his caretaker stint of about one win in eleven....

Glad he kept them up, Burton are gonna have successive relegations IMO.
  • Low key personality and loves a v-neck jumper - I think Bowyer is copying him a bit....

Maybe copy him in his dress sense.

As for managerial sense. It's a no from me.
    Bowyer will prove to be a far better manager imo
  • edited May 2018
    Can we get a capital for the P in Parkinson please?

Thanks
  • Can we get a capital for the P in Parkinson please?

Thanks

P off....
  • Low key personality and loves a v-neck jumper - I think Bowyer is copying him a bit....

Parkinson's career record:

Promotions with Colchester Utd, Bradford and Bolton.

Took Bradford to League Cup Final when in League two.

Took Charlton into L1 playoffs with pitiful squad.

I'm not really clear how Bowyer's ten games ìn charge compares? He may do better but it seems a little premature to draw this conclusion.

He got treated harshly at Charlton after taking over from the legend Alan Pardew. I think some on here have forgotten how garbage our squad was - CP got nothing out of them either and we finished 13th after he took over. It's only when the squad was rebuilt that we improved and that required cash.

Fair enough.
    I cannot answer you for at least five years as I have no idea how Bowyer will compare until then
    But my gut feeling is that he will be a better manager than Parkinson.

I'm not really clear how Bowyer's ten games ìn charge compares? He may do better but it seems a little premature to draw this conclusion.

He got treated harshly at Charlton after taking over from the legend Alan Pardew. I think some on here have forgotten how garbage our squad was - CP got nothing out of them either and we finished 13th after he took over. It's only when the squad was rebuilt that we improved and that required cash.

Fair enough.
    I cannot answer you for at least five years as I have no idea how Bowyer will compare until then
    Ridiculous thing to post really. The chances are that Bowyer will not come close to how well Parky has done.

Fair enough.
    Ridiculous thing to post really. The chances are that Bowyer will not come close to how well Parky has done.
    Like I said I cannot answer for at least five years.
    Not ridiculous at all.
  • Listening to 5Live last week Bolton fans didn’t sound too impressed with him.
  • Sponsored links:

• iainment said:

Low key personality and loves a v-neck jumper - I think Bowyer is copying him a bit....

Fair enough.
    But until he is, he isn't.
    He has started his career as best manager over first 10 games so he has done quite well so far.

And what has this got to do with this thread? Parky did a great job, was harshly treated by us, and proved he is a very good manager.
  • 1StevieG said:

iainment said:

Low key personality and loves a v-neck jumper - I think Bowyer is copying him a bit....

Fair enough.
    But until he is, he isn't.
    He has started his career as best manager over first 10 games so he has done quite well so far.
    And I hope he carries on, at Charlton, like that.
    But he ain't done nothing yet really.
  • Oakster said:

I think there is some rose tinted revisionism going on here - nothing against him personally & delighted for him at Bolton but...........

He was part of the awful Pardew relegation season - he should never have been kept on as caretaker let alone manger aftet that pitiful capitulation that sent us down. 5 points (all draws) from 12 matches after Pardew got the boot - why the hell was he kept on then & also at the end of that appalling season.

It was nice we reached the playoffs the following season but at the time it was our 3rd season after relegation from the Premiership - we were still, relatively speaking a big fish even by Championship standards let alone L1.

So Parky - nice, honest guy & rather him than the gobshite Scouse chancer any day of the week, but decidedly mediocre for us.

I don't understand - if Parky getting us to the playoffs having spent £0 is mediocre with Leeds, Southampton and Norwich in the league with premier-league-to-be players is considered mediocre...

...then what the hell is considered good?
  • His brand of football is atrocious to watch I know that much.
  • Oakster said:

I think there is some rose tinted revisionism going on here - nothing against him personally & delighted for him at Bolton but...........

He was part of the awful Pardew relegation season - he should never have been kept on as caretaker let alone manger aftet that pitiful capitulation that sent us down. 5 points (all draws) from 12 matches after Pardew got the boot - why the hell was he kept on then & also at the end of that appalling season.

It was nice we reached the playoffs the following season but at the time it was our 3rd season after relegation from the Premiership - we were still, relatively speaking a big fish even by Championship standards let alone L1.

So Parky - nice, honest guy & rather him than the gobshite Scouse chancer any day of the week, but decidedly mediocre for us.

He was kept on due to his results when he was caretaker. RM said he'd be hired on that basis.

Another well reasoned decision there Richard
  • Parky was very lucky to be given the job in the first place, based on his dismal results as caretaker manager. It was an odd decision.

However, he was then really unlucky to be sacked after doing a good job in L1. That season we reached the playoffs, we were up against some really good seasons and players, probably one of the best L1 seasons ever if you consider the quality on display. The next season his budget was really restricted, as soon as he was sacked Powell brought BWP in, the sort of striker who could have made all the difference the previous season, when instead we had to rely on mediocre loanees like Mooney, Forster and Sodje.
  • I believe there was a thread in here somewhere in which many people believed Parkinson produced the worst footballing teams ever seen at CAFC