Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    Shame... Feel really sorry for the lad as he did so well to battle back and return to playing Football
  • Options
    He will do well now his boots are hung up, sincere best wishes to him and his family
  • Options
    What a courageous young man.

I wish him every success in his future venture but most of all, health & happiness.
  • Options
    Always sad to hear when a sportsman is having to retire early.It's a short career at best and being forced to give up on a life's ambition must be devastating.
    I wish him every success and hope he has a very healthy and happy life ahead.
  • Options
    He seems an exceptionally strong and resilient young man and those traits should suit him very well in his future career
  • Options

Former Rochdale midfielder Joe Thompson says "the fight is still inside" after receiving the news that he has been diagnosed with cancer for a third time.

The 35-year-old has stage four lymphoma which has spread to his lungs.

Thompson was diagnosed with Hodgkin lymphoma in 2013 and recovered before the cancer returned in 2017. He went on to recover a second time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68787302

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 12
    Awful. I highly recommend listening to his appearance on Undr the cosh podcast. To say it is inspirational is a gross understatement.

https://youtu.be/d9aQnNxmPIc?si=41JuLF0bb-YW57s8

Wishing a speedy recovery.
  • Options
    That is very sad news. I wish him all the best in his new fight.
  • Options
    How do you deal with something like that mentally. Must be devastating news but really hope he beats it again. 
  • Options
    edited April 12
    Christ that is awful, nobody deserves cancer but I think he has had more than his fair share.
  • Options
    Good grief, that's dreadful news. Keep fighting Joe  <3
  • Options
    recall that in a game I saw at Rochdale, a long while back, Thompson gave Ezra Konsa a VERY torrid time .. Konsa left the field injured and demoralised, physically, of course he was a much younger, smaller man then, he just could not cope
    Keep up the fight Joe