Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bradley Wright-Phillips

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43879501

Good interview with him on the BBC website. Interesting that he admits to not being professional enough when in England...

Comments

• Thought he was class tbh such a natural finisher. Shame his heart wasn't in it here could of been a very decent player
  • Good article. I always wish him well, glad he has been a success over there.
  • Interesting to hear about the way he was living when he played over here, but not overly surprising given that he came with a reputation for lacking discipline. His goals were so key in the title winning season, but at the time I felt that was about the peak of his ability. But he's gone over to MLS, not a great league but by no means terrible, and he's been an absolute revelation. It still feels like he doesn't quite get the credit he deserves. More power to him, and he's had the chance to play with Thierry Henry and Tim Cahill which is every kid's dream.
  • Adds up to what I was told at the Hartlepool game in 2012, was told that BWP wasn’t in SCP’s plans for the next season in the championship as he wasn’t dedicated to training etc
  • SDAddick said:

Interesting to hear about the way he was living when he played over here, but not overly surprising given that he came with a reputation for lacking discipline. His goals were so key in the title winning season, but at the time I felt that was about the peak of his ability. But he's gone over to MLS, not a great league but by no means terrible, and he's been an absolute revelation. It still feels like he doesn't quite get the credit he deserves. More power to him, and he's had the chance to play with Thierry Henry and Tim Cahill which is every kid's dream.

I'm not sure every kid's dream is to play with Tim Cahill. Agree with your broad point that it's a much better lifestyle and career than drifting around League One etc over here.
  • Good to see him doing well, I always though he was quality and had the potential to be a great goal scorer. Just a shame he couldn't do it with us!

Does anyone else remember that goal he scored where he'd gone down near midfield. The oppo keeper didn't see him and pumped out a low goal kick only for BWP to stand up, take the ball and score? Can't for the life of me remember who it was against or when though, just remember laughing for days afterwards.
  • EastStand said:

Good to see him doing well, I always though he was quality and had the potential to be a great goal scorer. Just a shame he couldn't do it with us!

Does anyone else remember that goal he scored where he'd gone down near midfield. The oppo keeper didn't see him and pumped out a low goal kick only for BWP to stand up, take the ball and score? Can't for the life of me remember who it was against or when though, just remember laughing for days afterwards.

You missed our best season for years mate. Must be bloody horrible thinking our recent history was Pardew, Parky and then straight to RD!
  • Haha I remember the 31 he got, I meant the 108 would be nice!
  • EastStand said:

Good to see him doing well, I always though he was quality and had the potential to be a great goal scorer. Just a shame he couldn't do it with us!

Yeah I remember that cocky keeper - I think he put the ball through his legs as well. I'm thinking it was Dagenham and Redbridge.
  • Sorry but I’m not buying it that he has had to step up his game to play out there or that Henry said how difficult it was.

Like the lad and glad he’s doing well for himself.
  • Sponsored links:

• Maybe England should call him up for an insignificant friendly... Its not like we're awash with experienced Strikers who know where the net is
  • Now scored 99 goals in the MLS.

One goal away from an incredible milestone.

Love Bradders.
    Does what it says on the tin.
  • Brilliant finisher and works well in teams that create chances as he does know how to stick them away, but really lacks a lot in his all round game. He got found out in the Championship as a result.
  • Maybe England should call him up for an insignificant friendly... Its not like we're awash with experienced Strikers who know where the net is

You can't be serious, he knows where The net is around league one level.
    Well seeing that top Strikers have gone to the MLS and flopped you have to wonder what Bradley is doing differently

Well seeing that top Strikers have gone to the MLS and flopped you have to wonder what Bradley is doing differently
    who?

who?
    Well he outscored Thierry Henry whilst at New York Red Bull and scoring about the same as Sebastian Giovinco who continues to be called up by Italy

This is such a ‘received wisdom’ opinion. I wonder if any of the people who claim MLS is ‘League one level’ have actually seen a game. It’s very different and the emphasis is far more on attack than defence, but it’s a much higher standard than people make out.

who?
    Well he outscored Thierry Henry whilst at New York Red Bull and scoring about the same as Sebastian Giovinco who continues to be called up by Italy
    Fair point on Giovinco, did forget about him but does he not play wide left?

Henry went for a pay day though and was at the end of the career.
  • Sponsored links:

• JaShea99 said:

Maybe England should call him up for an insignificant friendly... Its not like we're awash with experienced Strikers who know where the net is

This is such a ‘received wisdom’ opinion. I wonder if any of the people who claim MLS is ‘League one level’ have actually seen a game. It’s very different and the emphasis is far more on attack than defence, but it’s a much higher standard than people make out.
    It is lower Championsip at best, and I say that as a big MLS fan and follower
  • edited July 2018
    You do wonder if a Championship side would look at Joseph Martinez of Atlanta(got the right 1 this time @ForeverAddickted :wink: )

25 years old into his 2nd MLS season
    Last season he scored 19 in 21 games
    This season he has scored 22 in 22 games

Didnt pull up many trees at Torino before hand was there 3 seasons and scored 7 in 58 games.
  • cafctom said:

JaShea99 said:

Maybe England should call him up for an insignificant friendly... Its not like we're awash with experienced Strikers who know where the net is

It is lower Championsip at best, and I say that as a big MLS fan and follower
    Not sure what lower Championship games I’ve missed but the quality of goals, just for one thing is far superior to most I see in the Championship.
  • Well, maybe Scotland but that's it
  • I would love to see Bradley, playing for Charlton again
  • Says it all for the MLS that the average goals per match this year is 3.2 compared to about 2.75 as an average across the top four divisions in Europe.

The defending is atrocious especially late in games.
  • Says it all for the MLS that the average goals per match this year is 3.2 compared to about 2.75 as an average across the top four divisions in Europe.

The defending is atrocious especially late in games.

Not to mention the refereeing.
  • Really strange one, I was told at the Hartlepool game that Powell was going to get rid of him as he didn't think he would be up to the Championship. But then the money was withdrawn and he had to mend and make do, hence why BWP started the season upfront with Kerms. Was quite soon though that he was dropped and not really seen again.
  • Really strange one, I was told at the Hartlepool game that Powell was going to get rid of him as he didn't think he would be up to the Championship. But then the money was withdrawn and he had to mend and make do, hence why BWP started the season upfront with Kerms. Was quite soon though that he was dropped and not really seen again.

Wasnt there an article over his time at Charlton which mentioned he was pretty lazy i.e. didnt really do much in training nor did he concentrate on his game and was more interested in playing his Xbox back home, relying on his talent at League One level

I think it went on to say that by moving to the MLS; Wright-Phillips pretty much sorted himself out