Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rochdale v Charlton | Sat 05 May | 5:30pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Rochdale v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 5th May 2018 … 5:30pm Kick-Off
Referee: Tony Harrington (Cleveland)

Introduction

And so we come to the final game of the regular season, forty five games leading to this one date… As with any season there have been highs and lows, a 1-0 victory over Blackburn Rovers last weekend will certainly live long in the memory of most Addicks fans. Whilst the 1-0 defeat at Blackpool will be one game many wish to forget – This Saturday Charlton travel to Rochdale – Just one point will see us advancing to the Play-Offs.

All I can say is hold on to your hats – Like any other final day, it’s going to be a roller coaster ride

The Opposition
Name: Rochdale | Manager: Keith Hill
Rochdale League wins over Charlton: Two

For Charlton, their memories of 2017/18 will be of their league campaign whilst for Rochdale it’ll be their FA Cup run that’ll live long in the memory – After despatching Bromley in the 1st Round; Keith Hill and his side would go on to secure a memorable last gasp draw against Spurs, proof that a win at Spotland won’t be easy…

Their league season on the other hand has been a disappointment – In the relegation zone since December, their poor form hasn’t been helped by the FA Cup distractions… Forced to play catch up, Rochdale have made up ground on their rivals and go into the final day needing a win just as badly

The Final Day Battles
For the Addicks it couldn’t be simpler, a win or point tomorrow will see them advance to the Play-Offs… Plymouth having missed the chance to put pressure on Charlton, will need to beat Gillingham by a high score line and hope that Rochdale do them a favour by also winning – The latter might happen yet with the Pilgrims having scored just 19-goals on the road, their task might not be so easy.

For Rochdale, relegation will be confirmed should they lose to the Addicks… Lying a point off safety (yet with a better goal difference), they’ll need to better Oldham’s result against Northampton to survive – Should the two local rivals end on the same points, Rochdale will stay up thanks to a better goal difference, so come the final stages on Saturday, a draw could be beneficial to both Charlton and Rochdale

Charlton Team News
With one eye on the Play-Offs; Lee Bowyer will surely be resting players tomorrow and having already announced his squad, will be conscious of what could be a big month for the Addicks – Two confirmed incomings are Joe Aribo and Sullay Kaikai, with Bowyer confirming that the latter has disappointed this season, we could see the Palace loanee played in a different position.

On the injury front; Tariqe Fosu remains out and will be so for at least 10-days… Lewis Page continued with his bad luck last weekend – After getting caught by Ben Amos, the former West Ham youngster needed a number of stiches in his knee so will also be doubtful for the trip to Lancashire

Amos
Dijksteel | Bauer | Konsa | Dasilva
Reeves | Aribo | Forster-Caskey | Marshall
Magennis | Kaikai

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Lennon | Jackson | Kashi | Zyro | Ajose | Mavididi

Prediction
With the players potentially looking beyond Rochdale it’s important that they don’t ease off the accelerator too much, tomorrow will depend on who wants it more, and its certain that Rochdale desperate to secure League One Football… A 1-0 loss might be on the cards, yet don’t see Plymouth having it in them to make up the difference.

Comments

• edited May 2018
    Agree with opening assessment that we might lose this one. Think it might be 2 - 1 though. Playoffs here we come.

I’m expecting an Ariel bombardment so our defence will need to be on the ball.
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Dont think we will lose, 1-1 if we put a semi-strength team. 3-1 away win otherwise, if we are going to rest players i would rather be in a position 60 minutes + where we are 100% in the playoffs or even a chance of 5th.
  • Need to play to win. Winning momentum crucial going into the play offs. Rest players when you are 3-0 up.
  • edited May 2018
    Away win. 1-2 Aribo and Ajose.
  • edited May 2018
    1-3 Charlton away win.

Not sure who will score first but we will win the match with two late goals as the game gets stretched.
    This is assuming Oldham won't be losing to Northampton so Rochdale will know they need to win in order to have any chance to stay up.
    If Oldham are losing (especially by more than one goal), both sides at Spotland might settle for the draw.

We have all the advantages, I cannot see Lee Bowyer throwing away this great chance to reach the play-offs.

Should Oldham go a goal or even two goals up early in their game at Northampton it should take the heart out of Rochdale's efforts. Will quieten their fans as well I should think.
    I know Northampton won't just roll over, but with luck the incentive for Oldham to ensure their own safety will see them snuff out Rochdale's hopes of staying in League One before we have to.

Naturally the opposite is also true.
    If Northampton take the lead it will spur Rochdale on. Dale will have a dilemma on their hands though - should they park the bus for a 0-0 draw and hope Oldham lose (Rochdale would then stay up on goal difference) or will Rochdale push for a goal.

Equally risky for them either way;
    If they attack us we may well make them pay on the break.
    If they play for 0-0 and Oldham get a last minute equaliser against Northampton then Rochdale will kick themselves for not trying to defeat us.
  • edited May 2018
    Unless you know something, I cannot see him leaving out Pearce and you haven't got him on the bench either. I think we can manage to win here 0-2. Usually my tips are wrong
  • ross1 said:

Unless you know something, I cannot see him leaving out Pearce and you haven't got him on the bench either

Yes, Pearce doesn't need resting, it's not as if he's someone likely to pick up a hamstring strain or similar
  • I wonder if he's play Zyro instead of Magennis up front, Magennis certainly benefited from the rest, and Zyro has had little match time recently
  • 1-1
    News reaches Rochdale early that Oldham are winning and the game is played out as a bore draw. All over the nation tvs are switched over before the end.

I haven't got one correct prediction all season.
  • Sponsored links:

• So pleased to be in this position, cannot quite believe it. This will be tough and I think Rochdale will be so upset not to beat Robbos lot last week. 1-1, we get our point but Dale drop down sadly.
  • Rest important players to keep them fresh and put them on the bench just in case it's going tits up.
    Chances are we will be playing next Thursday that's when the real fun starts.
    In Bowyer we trust
    COYR
  • Anybody know if any pubs in the Dartford area are showing the match.

1-3 LB's Red and White Army
  • As the league season draws to a close, it's been a rollercoaster really, and one that @ForeverAddickted have done a great job with the previews and predictions. Just know that now this one is done, you only have 3 more left to do until August when we can kick off our Championship campaign.

A tough one to call regarding starting eleven. However, Bowyer has confirmed that Aribo will be starting and Kaikai will be on the bench. And of course, Rochdale will be right up for it knowing they most likely need to win as I can see Oldham getting a result at Northampton. I do think the boys will be focused and up for this too with the players who haven't been involved too much, having a run out and trying to impress to get in the team.

I also think we will see Jackson get a run out for a little bit, meaning he will be on the bench but I just can't decide who it will be in place of. Maybe Sarr but I think he will be involved.

Amos
    Dijksteel Bauer Pearce Dasilva
    Reeves Aribo Forster-Caskey Marshall
    Magennis Mavididi

Phillips, Sarr, Konsa, Kashi, Kaikai, Ajose, Zyro

Rochdale 1-2 Charlton
    Mavididi
    Magennis

• edited May 2018
    My guess at the team. Given the results it would take for us to miss out on the playoffs I expect anyone with a niggle to be given a rest so it's hard to predict. My question marks are around those coming back from injury, namely Kashi, Mavididi, and Aribo. It's probably case by case, but do you give them a run out to help keep their fitness levels up, or do you start them on the bench to protect them? Mav hasn't played a whole lot of football in the last three months, so I'd be tempted to start him. Ditto Kashi. With Aribo I think it's a question of whether or not Reeves needs a little breather having played so much football after missing so much time with injury.

........ Amos
    Konsa Bauer Pearce DaSilva
    Aribo Kashi F-Caskey Marshall
    ....... Zyro... Mavididi

Bench: Phillips, Sarr, Dijksteel, Reeves, Kaikai, Ajose, Magennis

To me, despite the fact that two or three of those players aren't first choice at the moment, it looks a very strong team. You could also switch to a 4-2-3-1 if needed, playing Marshall, Aribo, and either Mav or Zyro as the attacking three with the other forward up front.
  • SDAddick said:

My guess at the team. Given the results it would take for us to miss out on the playoffs I expect anyone with a niggle to be given a rest so it's hard to predict. My question marks are around those coming back from injury, namely Kashi, Mavididi, and Aribo. It's probably case by case, but do you give them a run out to help keep their fitness levels up, or do you start them on the bench to protect them? Mav hasn't played a whole lot of football in the last three months, so I'd be tempted to start him. Ditto Kashi. With Aribo I think it's a question of whether or not Reeves needs a little breather having played so much football after missing so much time with injury.

........ Amos
    ....... Zyro... Mavididi

Bench: Sarr, Dijksteel, Jackson, Reeves, Kaikai, Ajose, Magennis

To me, despite the fact that two or three of those players aren't first choice at the moment, it looks a very strong team. You could also switch to a 4-2-3-1 if needed, playing Marshall, Aribo, and either Mav or Zyro as the attacking three with the other forward up front.

Thought about Zyro starting as well and I can see that happening, he hasn't played for a while and we will need him to be sharp enough in the play offs.

Also, no keeper on the bench?
  • 2-2 Josh with the late heartbreaker for the Dale.
  • edited May 2018
    Sage said:

SDAddick said:

........ Amos
    ....... Zyro... Mavididi

Thought about Zyro starting as well and I can see that happening, he hasn't played for a while and we will need him to be sharp enough in the play offs.

Oops the lack of keeper was an oversight.

I think Zyro is one who would do well with getting 60-70 minutes under his belt. It will be a tough game for him on what I'm going to lazily assume is a shit pitch. But after having a bit of a rest (Bowyer admitted he left him in a game too long, I'd argue it was two games), I think he needs to get back out there.
  • Sage said:

SDAddick said:

........ Amos
    ....... Zyro... Mavididi

Jackson off the bench to keep goal, saving a last minute penalty to get us to the playoffs :smile:
  • edited May 2018
    SDAddick said:

Sage said:

SDAddick said:

........ Amos
    ....... Zyro... Mavididi

I think Zyro is one who would do well with getting 60-70 minutes under his belt. It will be a tough game for him on what I'm going to lazily assume is a shit pitch. But after having a hit of a rest (Bowyer admitted he left him in a game too long, I'd argue it was two games), I think he needs to get back out there.
    Yup, most definitely could do with getting an hour under his belt being ready to be called upon next week if we need him. I agree it was at least two games, but has since not been involved. He sure will be tomorrow.

Their pitch now is actually quite good. It was horrific earlier but new grass was laid and is okay now, it will not cause an issue.
  • Sponsored links:

• 2-1 Addicks....not an easy game on eye or to play in, but think we have enough to win.
  • Sage said:

SDAddick said:

Sage said:

SDAddick said:

........ Amos
    ....... Zyro... Mavididi

I think Zyro is one who would do well with getting 60-70 minutes under his belt. It will be a tough game for him on what I'm going to lazily assume is a shit pitch. But after having a hit of a rest (Bowyer admitted he left him in a game too long, I'd argue it was two games), I think he needs to get back out there.
    Yup, most definitely could do with getting an hour under his belt being ready to be called upon next week if we need him. I agree it was at least two games, but has since not been involved. He sure will be tomorrow.

Their pitch now is actually quite good. It was horrific earlier but new grass was laid and is okay now, it will not cause an issue.
    Oh good for them relaying the pitch. Hopefully that allows us to play better football and reduces the risk of injury.

I know what you mean about needing him potentially three times in a week. The fact that playoff A is Thursday/Sunday is ridiculous. It's two fewer days rest for the first leg, and a day fewer for the second.

Does anyone know why that is? Sorry if I've missed it but is there a reason it's not Saturday/Tuesday for A, Sunday/Wednesday for B? Am I missing something obvious here?
  • If we can beat Blackburn, Shrewsbury, Plymouth, and Rotherham etc,
    We can Beat Rochdale.
    0-2 Charlton.
  • SDAddick said:

Sage said:

SDAddick said:

Sage said:

SDAddick said:

........ Amos
    ....... Zyro... Mavididi

Oh good for them relaying the pitch. Hopefully that allows us to play better football and reduces the risk of injury.

I know what you mean about needing him potentially three times in a week. The fact that playoff A is Thursday/Sunday is ridiculous. It's two fewer days rest for the first leg, and a day fewer for the second.

Does anyone know why that is? Sorry if I've missed it but is there a reason it's not Saturday/Tuesday for A, Sunday/Wednesday for B? Am I missing something obvious here?
    Because the EFL are stupid basically.

They think supporters will be happy if they put one game on per day for 8 days, and 4 games on Saturday 12th May. One at 12:30pm, one at 3pm, one at 5:15pm, and the final one at 7:30pm (that includes two League Two games). It also spreads out the games throughout the play-offs.

They also have done it because they can't have two games kicking off at the same time in midweek, as in the second legs.

Yes, if we finish 6th (more than likely), we will have a quick turnaround of Thursday-Sunday. But so will all the teams in the Championship play-offs: Friday-Monday and Saturday-Tuesday.

Interestingly, they have given the largest rest period to the League Two sides. Saturday-Thursday and Saturday-Friday. They also then have at least 10 days between their second leg and the final. Whereas, we would get a full two weeks until the final if we finish 6th, but only 11 days if we finish 5th.

They could've done it a lot better I think, but they haven't and ultimately, we have to make sure we get a good result in the home leg on Thursday 10th May to put us in a good position only a 3 days later.
  • Also, I have changed my mind and I now think that Konsa could well play in midfield tomorrow.
  • Wouldnt surprise me to see Phillips in goal
  • edited May 2018
  • Sage said:

SDAddick said:

Sage said:

SDAddick said:

Sage said:

SDAddick said:

........ Amos
    ....... Zyro... Mavididi

Because the EFL are stupid basically.

They think supporters will be happy if they put one game on per day for 8 days, and 4 games on Saturday 12th May. One at 12:30pm, one at 3pm, one at 5:15pm, and the final one at 7:30pm (that includes two League Two games). It also spreads out the games throughout the play-offs.

They also have done it because they can't have two games kicking off at the same time in midweek, as in the second legs.

Yes, if we finish 6th (more than likely), we will have a quick turnaround of Thursday-Sunday. But so will all the teams in the Championship play-offs: Friday-Monday and Saturday-Tuesday.

Interestingly, they have given the largest rest period to the League Two sides. Saturday-Thursday and Saturday-Friday. They also then have at least 10 days between their second leg and the final. Whereas, we would get a full two weeks until the final if we finish 6th, but only 11 days if we finish 5th.

They could've done it a lot better I think, but they haven't and ultimately, we have to make sure we get a good result in the home leg on Thursday 10th May to put us in a good position only a 3 days later.
    Cheers for that.

Yeah that's...frustrating. I get that this is their big money spinner and that they can't have the midweek games kicking off at the same time. But as you point out there's a huge layoff from the time of the last semi-final to the time of the final and they could theoretically stetch out the semi-finals into the following weekend (as they do with League Two).

Obviously the ties are set and we'll need to deal with whatever lot we get. But I'd much rather finish 5th, even if Shrewsbury are showing signs of tiring. Those extra days could be the difference between a fit Fosu and not. Plus, if we did make it through to the final, a BIG if, then I'd rather have 11 days than two weeks.