Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Nah, im very happy for Pope but would much rather Butland/Pickford start for England.
  • Done. Best keeper this season by a long way.
  • Any international team manager should pick the players in form,Pope has been the best all season,cannot understand Southgate,how does he rate Livermore over Shelvey.

• Jack Butland
    31%

Joe Hart
    4%

Jordan Pickford
    41%

Nick Pope
    24%
  • No way should Pope be starting in a World Cup yet. Although Butland can't be at his most confident just now.

I do agree that Butland, Pickford and Pope are clearly the 3 to take though, but I think we all know Pope will miss out on the squad to Hart.
  • I'd start Pickford.

I think we'll take Pickford, Butland and Hart and just hope Hart is 3rd choice of those.
  • get crosses in the box panama because if pickford is playing he wont get anywhere near any of them.
  • Dont get why people say Butland ahead of Pope.

By the time the World Cup starts:
    Pope will just have guided his team to the Europa League

Butland would have guided his team to the Championship
  • Based on this season alone:

Pope > Pickford > Butland > Hart
  • All the stats point to Pope being the second best keeper this year behind only David De Gea. Would be absolutely bonkers if he doesn't make the squad because Hart has a bit of experience (but won't play).
  • Sponsored links:

• Pope will be this world cup's Darren Bent.

The player that should have gone but missed out.

Bit of a stretch to compare Hart with Theo Walcott though!
  • Dont get why people say Butland ahead of Pope.

By the time the World Cup starts:
    Pope will just have guided his team to the Europa League

Butland would have guided his team to the Championship

Who a Goalkeeper has in front of them plays a big part in their form too though

Its a bad example I know but take the first goal that Man City scored against them @ the Britannia Stadium a few months ago... Had the cross been stopped, or had David Silva been closer marked, then that goal wouldn't have gone in.

Ultimately it did go in, so Butland effectively had a bad mark against him in that respect

Yes you could put Joe Hart in the same bracket (i.e. Good Goalkeeper who happens to be playing at the wrong end of the table for a poor team) - Yet this season I can only remember one mistake that Butland has made (that own goal against Leicester), whereas Joe Hart has been making them nearly every game... Is why Butland should be challenging for an England starting place
  • All the stats point to Pope being the second best keeper this year behind only David De Gea. Would be absolutely bonkers if he doesn't make the squad because Hart has a bit of experience (but won't play).

agreed, 100% should go above Hart but won't.

Still think Butland has earned the right to be given a shot and has that bit of experience I want in a keeper. If Pope was to start and make a mistake then everyone will be on at Southgate for trusting someone so inexperienced. It's for those reasons he won't take both Pope and Pickford.
  • Hart is a really crap keeper but he is experienced. It's important we have a crap keeper in the squad who has experience of being crap at both club and country level and is in poor form. I'm sure he will go.

I look forward to Hart starting the opening game looking suitably fired up and then letting in a really soft goal. We can all then pretend to act surprised....

• I say get David James out of retirement for another go - worst comes to worst he's another option up front...
  • This is a bit harsh on Joe Hart really. I'm not saying whether he should be picked or not as I really don't know but running a poll the day after he chucks a goal in is bound to skew the results.
  • edited April 2018

This is a bit harsh on Joe Hart really. I'm not saying whether he should be picked or not as I really don't know but running a poll the day after he chucks a goal in is bound to skew the results.

tbf you could run it any week and it will probably be after Hart makes a complete arse of himself in goal. also Pickford and Butland's results dont seem affected by their performances as every week they seem to concede a goal.
  • This is a bit harsh on Joe Hart really. I'm not saying whether he should be picked or not as I really don't know but running a poll the day after he chucks a goal in is bound to skew the results.

Exactly - they should wait until he has a good game......
  • And JBG also getting some recognition too. Glad these boys are getting their deserved plaudits.
  • Sponsored links:

• Well done Nick and JBG. Just glad that we had the opportunity to see the Premier League stars of the future.