Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton signings "presented" on the pitch

Watching Premier League Legends and Middlesbrough presented Junhino on the pitch on a non match day in front of a packed stand. Seem to recall Newcastle getting huge crowds for the likes of shearer and asprillia signing and it's common place in Spain when they sign someone big who'll do a few kick ups and some waving.

Is this solely the persevere of those in the North East and on the continent or have we ever done it?

Ie when Simonsen signed?

Suppose it comes down to having marquee signings which have been rare at the Valley since Di Canio I suppose...the unveiling of Roger Johnson in front of a sparsely populated lower west on a grey Tuesday afternoon as he managed 3 kick ups before calling the 8 fans in attendance ****s probably doesn't have the same kudos as unveiling a world beater in front of 10,000 hopeful geordies.

Comments

• Remember John Pearson being announced at half time by Jimmy Hill at the 3-3 Oxford home game years back. Can’t remember anyone else bar Di Canio on Talksport and thinking that we had become bigtime...
  • Remember John Pearson being announced at half time by Jimmy Hill at the 3-3 Oxford home game years back. Can’t remember anyone else bar Di Canio on Talksport and thinking that we had become bigtime...

Beat me to it, immediately thought of Pearson

• Is this solely the persevere of those in the North East and the incontinent or have we ever done it?

Suppose it comes down to having marquee signings which have been rare at the Valley since Di Canio I suppose...the unveiling of Roger Johnson in front of a sparsely populated lower west on a grey Tuesday afternoon as he managed 3 kick ups before calling the 8 fans in attendance ****s probably doesn't have the same kudos as unveiling a world beater in front of 10,000 jobless geordies.

• Racon and Zheng Zhi were presented on the pitch in the 07/08 season.

John Barnes.

Don’t think any of them got quite the reception of a Juninho though.
  • Ricardo Fuller was another presented on the pitch.

Well he was our only one wasn't he ? & I think that was as much as announcing for £100.000 which was a huge amount for us after almost going bust
  • Was Yann presented on the pitch?

Well he was our only one wasn't he ? & I think that was as much as announcing for £100.000 which was a huge amount for us after almost going bust
    Jimmy Hill also made a point of saying that Pearson was a young player in his prime, not a has been.

He was the first signing of what would become the promotion team of the following season.
  • Was Yann presented on the pitch?

Not to my memory but before he signed i seem to remember Keith Peacock taking him on the pitch during warm up or half time to show him the atmosphere. I wondered who he was at the time.
  • Sponsored links:

Jimmy Hill also made a point of saying that Pearson was a young player in his prime, not a has been.

He was the first signing of what would become the promotion team of the following season.
    & what a fantastic bunch of players LL brought in & they just gelled straight away............................ & then we moved to the shithole :-(
  • Not presented on the pitch but as close as was that Brazilian / Japanese guy... Alex. Was sat with Murray and was having pics with fans and everything. And then never got a work permit.

Along with Bolanos - one that I always wonder how they would have turned out
  • Pretty sure Hreidarsson was, before the end of the season when he would be joining in the summer?

Yes he was at half time when we were on our way to a 6-1 drubbing by leeds

I think they wheeled out Mark Reid that night and announced that we’d agreed a fee with Chef Wendy for John Pearson
  • Watching Premier League Legends and Middlesbrough presented Junhino on the pitch on a non match day in front of a packed stand. Seem to recall Newcastle getting huge crowds for the likes of shearer and asprillia signing and it's common place in Spain when they sign someone big who'll do a few kick ups and some waving.

Is this solely the persevere of those in the North East and on the continent or have we ever done it?

Ie when Simonsen signed?

Suppose it comes down to having marquee signings which have been rare at the Valley since Di Canio I suppose...the unveiling of Roger Johnson in front of a sparsely populated lower west on a grey Tuesday afternoon as he managed 3 kick ups before calling the 8 fans in attendance ****s probably doesn't have the same kudos as unveiling a world beater in front of 10,000 hopeful geordies.

Our fans are too busy at work to attend.
  • Lat one I recall was Ricardo Fuller - Yann wasn't presented, we just got a press release the night the Gaffer signed him.
  • I imagine the only reason to present a player on the pitch is if they were signed too late to play in the match in question, or were injured/suspended which must be pretty rare especially with the transfer windows now
  • Samedo and Racon?
  • Sponsored links:

• Thought maybe Carl Harris was presented to us.
  • _MrDick said:

Remember John Pearson being announced at half time by Jimmy Hill at the 3-3 Oxford home game years back. Can’t remember anyone else bar Di Canio on Talksport and thinking that we had become bigtime...

I think they wheeled out Mark Reid that night and announced that we’d agreed a fee with Chef Wendy for John Pearson
    Pretty sure they didn't, John Pearson was the first of those summer buys that would see us promoted
  • _MrDick said:

Remember John Pearson being announced at half time by Jimmy Hill at the 3-3 Oxford home game years back. Can’t remember anyone else bar Di Canio on Talksport and thinking that we had become bigtime...

Pretty sure they didn't, John Pearson was the first of those summer buys that would see us promoted
    My memory is the same as @_MrDick
  • _MrDick said:

I’m sure it was just Pearson. I thought he other signings didn’t start until after the season ended.
  • John Barnes the only one I remember. When we played............ Wimbledon???
  • _MrDick said:

I’m sure it was just Pearson. I thought he other signings didn’t start until after the season ended.
    That's how I remember it, Pearson was the first the others followed in the close season
  • Colin Cameron book states

REID signed 29-4-85
    Pearson signed20-5-85
    Loveridge 1-7-85
    Shipley sign18-7-85
    Humphrey 22-7-85
    Pender 23-7-85
    Thompson 15-8-85

Thats how to do business......
  • I think RodneyCharltonTrotta means being presented on non-match days.
  • I have a vague recollection of Johnny Ostergaard (would have done well if we had an ice hockey team) and Vigo Jacobsen being presented on the pitch
  • But he did get 'that' goal against Wrexham!!!