Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best position for Ezri Konsa?

I would like to see Ezri playing in midfield as I think it would suit his game better. He has the strength and vision for me to thrive in midfield but as a defender he does seem to switch off sometimes.

He did well on Saturday at RB but in the long term where should he play?

Comments

• Center Back for me. Think he's done really, really well in stretches there this season. I think in most other leagues in the world the fact that he's not huge and not the best in the air (though I think he gets far too much stick for it) will mean a lot less. And he uses his pace and strength well, and he's really started reading the game better as the season has gone on.

He's definitely good technically and strong on the ball, I just don't think he has the tactical discipline for midfield. And as for RB, it'd be interesting to see what he could do if he were given more freedom to get up and back. He looked unplayable against Fleetwood away playing at RB with freedom to get forward. It really lets him show his ability on the ball. Crossing is a question mark but that can be improved. But for me I think he's a center back in the long run.
  • Definitely midfield. When he drives forward centrally, as he did on one occasion against Blackburn, the opposing defence seems to crumble.
  • SDAddick said:

Center Back for me. Think he's done really, really well in stretches there this season. I think in most other leagues in the world the fact that he's not huge and not the best in the air (though I think he gets far too much stick for it) will mean a lot less. And he uses his pace and strength well, and he's really started reading the game better as the season has gone on.

He's definitely good technically and strong on the ball, I just don't think he has the tactical discipline for midfield. And as for RB, it'd be interesting to see what he could do if he were given more freedom to get up and back. He looked unplayable against Fleetwood away playing at RB with freedom to get forward. It really lets him show his ability on the ball. Crossing is a question mark but that can be improved. But for me I think he's a center back in the long run.

I would like him to play in central midfield - he does read the game well and his strength would be an asset. As a centre back as you say he'd probably be better off in a league where there's less emphasis on the aerial game.
  • Not right back
  • He was exceptional at CM against the shrews.

I would agree RB is his weakest position of the ones he plays. He is still good enough to do a job there though.
  • I would say CB, except that he's not top notch in the air. At RB he is improving, as we saw on Saturday. If he is to become a top def/mid he'll need a run of games there. ATM it's impossible to say for sure which will be his best in the long term.
  • CB but had his best game playing at RB on Saturday IMO
  • I'm not sure. To me he doesn't stand out at the moment in any position. He's a typical young player who's had experience in different positions, which benefits him in terms of broader football knowledge and versatility, but also can leave a player a bit "jack of all trades"
  • Defensive midfielder, acting as a shield for the back 4 but has the calmness to put a foot on the ball and play out from the back.
  • Definitely not right back . He can defend alright but going forward he’s not the best .
  • Sponsored links:

• I have been very critical of him when he plays right back, as he is way too negative. He does take up decent positions, but the side have generally been to slow to get the ball to him. When he does get it, he gets closed down and he passes backwards, then we start all over again.

He has done OK in midfield, and has the engine to play there, but not the vision I feel (he'd end up as a poor man's Jordan Cousins).

I think he's a centre back who is versatile, quick, and skilful, who can then hoof it or let his partner take the responsibility.

(All that said, he'll almost certainly be sold this summer so it will be someone else's problem to resolve!)
  • Holding midfielder
  • CB or DM - not a right back.
  • CB is probably the hardest position for young players to learn their trade, as every mistake is pounced on and physical forwards can use their experience and strength to bully young defenders

Having an experienced leader alongside makes a massive difference, if Konsa had played a run of games alongside Pearce at CB I'm sure it would have really benefited him.
  • edited April 2018
    He's our version of Phil Jones

Wouldnt surprise me if he does the same and flirts between all three positions throughout his career
  • An upmarket Semedo in the longterm I reckon.
  • I think he would be ideal as one of 3 CB's if we were to play 3 5 2.

Obviously now is not the time to mess with formations etc., but based on the current squad (with Fosu & Page injured) it would be interesting to see a line up like:

Amos

Bauer - Konsa - Pearce

Marshall----------------------Dasilva

JFC - Reeves - Kashi

Magennis - Ajose

Maybe swapping Kashi for Aribo if we wanted to be a bit more attacking.

• Interestingly enough in most of the games he has played in Cm in the last year or so he hasn't been the defensive player. He has been played in a more box to box covering ground role.
  • CB - there's no way his passing is good enough to play in midfield...
  • Sponsored links:

• Left back... in the changing room.
  • Everton
  • centre half. He's ok the cover RB for a few games but not a whole season - he's not a Joe Gomez.
  • I'm a great fan of young players playing in different positions, I think it improves them.
  • I'm a great fan of young players playing in different positions, I think it improves them.

Yes, agree with this.
  • He will be a centre back.

it does, but as Foreveraddickted mentioned, there is the danger of Phil Jones syndrome
  • Can see him being another Jordan Cousins - in playing style, position and possibly career path. Not sure whether he will be a prem or championship player
  • Right Back - 5/10

Centre Back - 8/10

Holding Midfield - 7/10
  • From the little that I have seen of him, he certainly is not a right back.