Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options
    Steve Waugh Is one of the most mentally strong sportsmen ever. Would be interesting if he was involved in the bid.
  • Options
    Log on to 30 something new posts on this thread and wonder who Doucher is rowing with now, thanks to @daveydanger for the snippet of real rumour hidden in the normal squabbling.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

DOUCHER said:

alangee said:

DOUCHER said:

Lets not get worked up about him not selling - all is going in line with what I was told after relegation - and what I said on here - 2 seasons to get us back up but a sale regardless after those 2 years - seen nothing to think that isn't going to be the case

Can you point to the post where you said this two years ago?
    It'll be there somewhere - around the summer everyone was rounding on me coz i said there had been a change in strategy, ditching of the network idea to try and get promoted, and I was told I was a beard or something by cardigan boy who was adamant there was no change.
    So you spotted they had appointed a British manager and signed British players, which was obvious to everyone? The problem was that they were useless at that too, which some people couldn’t grasp.
    You've definitely become more prickly after the last year of printing dud info but don't start on me - it was cardigan claiming no change in strategy yet here we are on the verge of the play offs with no network players, another British manager and a British scouting set up - of course, he could have thrown more money at it last year and this ideally but only the most pig headed would argue no change in strategy since relegation
    What scouting set up?
  • Options

People do realise that Waugh is a cricketer and probably knows less about British football than 99% of the north stand. If he’s involved then fine but I don’t think his cricketing credentials stand for jack shit to be honest.

If he knows nothing it will be more than Rolly.
  • Options

People do realise that Waugh is a cricketer and probably knows less about British football than 99% of the north stand. If he’s involved then fine but I don’t think his cricketing credentials stand for jack shit to be honest.

He was an incredible captain of one of the best sides ever to play the game. Captaincy in cricket is essentially like being the manager, a lot more man management involved. He was very much responsible for transforming cricket from being a few overweight borderline alcoholic guys and chain smokers into being the athletes we have today.

Some great stories about him, like iirc in the ashes in Australia one year England decided they wouldn’t talk to him as sledging him seemed to make him better. Waugh quickly clocked this and said “alright you boys aren’t gonna talk to me so I’ll just talk to myself” and went about sledging himself for the next 5 or so hours whilst scoring himself a century.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

He was an incredible captain of one of the best sides ever to play the game. Captaincy in cricket is essentially like being the manager, a lot more man management involved. He was very much responsible for transforming cricket from being a few overweight borderline alcoholic guys and chain smokers into being the athletes we have today.

Some great stories about him, like iirc in the ashes in Australia one year England decided they wouldn’t talk to him as sledging him seemed to make him better. Waugh quickly clocked this and said “alright you boys aren’t gonna talk to me so I’ll just talk to myself” and went about sledging himself for the next 5 or so hours whilst scoring himself a century.
    tend to disagree with 2nd paragraph Kent but please continue as its nothing to do with takeover
  • Options

Firstly he ain’t going to be our manager and if he wants to get involved in anything related to the training I would expect whoever is our first team manager at the time to tell him to do one.

Always good to have winners and a winning mentality in the club but I’m seriously worried that if this guy is anything other than part of a consortium with progressive board room ideas then we are in deep shit.

He’s an ex cricketer.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Let's not forget that Steve Waugh was also a famous cheat, on more than one occasion. His brother may have taken the bookies cash, but Steve was well known to cross the line (or push the boundaries) regularly. I can recommend Malcolm Knox's Adult Book which is tenuously written about his family, which uncovers some dirty secrets (allegedly).
  • Options
    20/20 night cricket at the Valley every summer?
  • Options
    Steve Waugh went to watch Arsenal when he was playing for Kent County Cricket Club in 2002. He combined watching the game with his favourite pastime, which is photography. I can assure you he is a nice guy, quite shy apart from when he is on the cricket field.
  • Options

DOUCHER said:

No in fighting here - just nice to be proved right after all the wum and beard bollox that was chucked at me for telling it as it is and was - nothing more need be said

Like my teenage daughter, always has to have the last word!
    Maybe doucher is your teenage daughter ? :smile:
  • Options

Steve Waugh went to watch Arsenal when he was playing for Kent County Cricket Club in 2002. He combined watching the game with his favourite pastime, which is photography. I can assure you he is a nice guy, quite shy apart from when he is on the cricket field.

Do Aussie cricket grounds now have "Wenger out" banners as a result?
  • Options
    razil said:

20/20 night cricket at the Valley every summer?

I would fancy my chances with boundaries that short!
  • Options
    lolwray said:

tend to disagree with 2nd paragraph Kent but please continue as its nothing to do with takeover
    10/10 great contribution to the thread
  • Options
    Does this mean we can start roughing up the footballs at the Valley with sandpaper?
  • Options

He is also a winner.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    At the end of the day (I do love silly quotes), I don't care who said what, and all the abuse that someone said something else, all I want to know is "WHEN IS IT GOING TO HAPPEN", and I don't want those ITK, to give a date, I just want to be told, officially, IT HAS HAPPENED
  • Options
    ross1 said:

At the end of the day (I do love silly quotes), I don't care who said what, and all the abuse that someone said something else, all I want to know is "WHEN IS IT GOING TO HAPPEN", and I don't want those ITK, to give a date, I just want to be told, officially, IT HAS HAPPENED

You are in the wrong place, it's not the way we do things on this thread.
  • Options

Not sure if this has been posted amongst the UEFA regulation chat and boring arguments, but the takeover was mentioned on yesterday’s Guardian Football Weekly podcast.

Barry Glendenning recently returned from a trip to Australia and said he had heard over there that the takeover happening ‘any minute’. Also said he was told that Steve Waugh was involved in the bid.

Thank gawd it's not Steve Smith !

With the inevitable ups & downs of watching a Charlton season, we'd spend more money on tissues for him than on players !
    You would be in favour of a bit of ball tampering though Fanny wouldn't you? :wink:
  • Options

Not sure if this has been posted amongst the UEFA regulation chat and boring arguments, but the takeover was mentioned on yesterday’s Guardian Football Weekly podcast.

Barry Glendenning recently returned from a trip to Australia and said he had heard over there that the takeover happening ‘any minute’. Also said he was told that Steve Waugh was involved in the bid.

Thank gawd it's not Steve Smith !

With the inevitable ups & downs of watching a Charlton season, we'd spend more money on tissues for him than on players !
    You would be in favour of a bit of ball tampering though Fanny wouldn't you? :wink:
    If they ever decide to make some new 'Carry On' movies this forum could supply them with the scripts! "Oooher Matron!"

• Options
    Is it

Take over

Or

Took off

I know where my money is going
  • Options
    I'm afraid I'm starting to think that way myself, NLA. If the deluded old goat is still insisting on a ridiculous price for the club (and add-ons for any future success....wtf?), then eventually any prospective suitors will just walk away, leaving him and his escalating debt and tumbleweeds blowing around Harvey Gardens. If he was in any way being reasonable/rational, surely a deal would have been done by now?

Can you imagine the state of the club if RD still owns us at the start of next season? Just thinking of it makes me shudder......
  • Options
    Charlton to have first dibs on young Aussie talent?
    Aussie Kid Riley McGree scores wonder goal:

Sit back.

Wait........

Watch him rock up at WHL.
  • Options

He is also a winner.
    Erm......at cricket.

• Options
    edited April 2018
  • Options
    Work permit?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!