Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mo Salah

Couldn't see a another thread and think he deserves one. IF so feel free to close. In my opinion his season has been the greatest overall from a premiership player. What does everyone else think? I'm also aware there was football prior to premiership but am at the age where I remember 1 season before that.

Comments

• It's up there. He's definitely the form player in Europe right now.

In terms of single best Premier League season for a player I'd place Cristiano Ronaldo 2007-2008 ahead of him. 31 goals in 34 games and a league title, not to mention winning the Champion's League in the same season.

Thierry Henry is another contender - 30 goals in 37 games in the 2003-2004 Premier League season plus a league title.
  • Salah is having 'his' season, but its no where near as exciting as Killer in 1975-76, when he scored 28 league goals and was leading scorer in the Football League Second Division (yes I know its not PL) and he's one of ours.
  • Has there ever been a better buy in the PL?

In terms of someone in their first season reaching world class levels, and in modern financial terms, being an absolute steal
  • sam3110 said:

Everything has clicked for him this season.

Remains to be seen what happens next season but he's the signing of the decade at least

200 million to psg
  • Up there with Messi and Ronaldo imo. But he has to maintain that over several years to really join them as a "great".
  • great season - remains to be seen if he can deliver again in the coming seasons.
  • He plays for Liverpool.
  • Bin dipper.
  • Sponsored links:

• 2010–2012
    El Mokawloon
    38 (11)

2012–2014
    Basel
    47 (9)

2014–2016
    Chelsea
    13 (2)

→ Fiorentina (loan)
    16 (6)

2015–2016
    → Roma (loan)
    34 (14)

2016–2017
    Roma
    31 (15)

2017–
    Liverpool
    33 (31)

• Salah and De Bruyne could not get a game at Chelsea. Got to be the worst two selling decisions in the history of the Premiership.

Mourinho hit the trifecta when he sold Lukaku around the same time as well.
  • Salah and De Bruyne could not get a game at Chelsea. Got to be the worst two selling decisions in the history of the Premiership.

Very true but obviously both have raised their games considerably since leaving Chelsea. Chelsea clearly got rid of both too soon, both were 21 when signed and never really given proper time to show what they could do.

But for Salah, the increase in goals is phenomenal.

20 in 79 games for Basel.
    34 in 83 for Roma.

Then 43 in 47 this season. Incredible.

If they don't rest him then he has a probable 5 games to get 5 more goals to break Ian Rush's record of 47.

To be fair neither of them would have developed into the players they are now if they'd stayed at Chelsea. Salah played a bit at Chelsea but he wasn't great when he did and the move to Italy allowed him to develop with space on the ball but uncompromising defenders, so he became physically stronger and honed his attacking ability. De Bruyne was unwilling to sit on the bench at Chelsea but didn't deliver enough when he played; Mourinho actually started Chelsea's season with him in the team. At Wolfsburg he was integral and that's where he learned to take control of games.

Top Premier League teams with managers who know they have to deliver straight away or face the sack are rarely the best places for young players to develop, particularly foreign ones who are less used to the physicality and pace of the division. Chelsea's problem is that they hoover these players up young and flog them off at a profit, but also end up ostracising the individual which makes it difficult for them to be the ones who sign them when they do flourish. What Chelsea are looking at now are three players (including Lukaku who is a similar scenario) who are quite cheerful about showing Chelsea what they've missed out on.
  • Chelsea have spent a huge amount of time, effort and money creating their own massive hay stack to hide any needles they happen to have in.
  • Fergie and Wenger have a track record of buying talented young players and developing them in the team to become world class.

Mourinho's record in this is patchier, indeed Chelsea in general, with their regular changes in manager have been a much more short term club over the last 10 years
  • Sponsored links:

• Klopp said it last night, he is playing extremely well at the moment, but needs to do it for a couple of seasons to be truly world class.

But he's at the top of the game at the moment, still have de Bruyen if I had to choose.
  • Hes supposed to be a good runner too, third in the Marathon someone told me.

+ Lukaku. All sold off on the cheap by Mourinho.
  • When Kane had his breakout season he was a potential 'one season wonder' and most people questioned if he could do it the next season too
    Meanwhile, Salah is being compared to Messi and Ronaldo

Salah is an incredible talent, not doubting that for a second, just find it strange how different a reaction the two players got.
  • Couldn't see a another thread and think he deserves one. IF so feel free to close. In my opinion his season has been the greatest overall from a premiership player. What does everyone else think? I'm also aware there was football prior to premiership but am at the age where I remember 1 season before that.

PREMIER LEAGUE, PREMIER LEAGUE, PREMIER BLOODY LEAGUE!!!!
  • I think Mo is up there with the top strikers playing now and I can only see him getting bettter
  • I was lucky to go last night on a freebie, Salah is on fire but it will be interesting to see if he can take his current form in to next season. Cracking atmosphere until Roma bagged those two late goals!
  • His form is ridiculous, he's the African John Robinson. Brilliant player.
  • When Kane had his breakout season he was a potential 'one season wonder' and most people questioned if he could do it the next season too
    Meanwhile, Salah is being compared to Messi and Ronaldo

Salah is an incredible talent, not doubting that for a second, just find it strange how different a reaction the two players got.

Probably because Salah has such good technical skill - I'd argue Kane doesn't.