Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The playoff race

Comments

• Options

Lads, it's Blackburn

Let’s hope there are 10000 holes in their defence
  • Options
    masicat said:

Is everyone going Saturday? I’m still boycotting.

I am still boycotting masicat, Roland still owns the club so nothing has changed for me.

#notapennymore
  • Options

masicat said:

Is everyone going Saturday? I’m still boycotting.

I am still boycotting masicat, Roland still owns the club so nothing has changed for me.

#notapennymore
    Also boycotting. No change at the top.
  • Options
    That is understandable. I have tried to boycott and have probably cut the number of home games I and my family attend by half. I don't buy a programme or food - I must admit I bought my son a shirt but normally we all buy shirts. I feel I should have stronger resolve, but will be there on Saturday as will my son.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Am I right in saying if we win and both Scunthorpe and Plymouth lose on Saturday the play offs are guaranteed?
  • Options

Am I right in saying if we win and both Scunthorpe and Plymouth lose on Saturday the play offs are guaranteed?

No. They have a game in hand on us.
  • Options
    Doing some maths, I'm sure you are right.

I think if we win and Plymouth lose - they would have to recover at least a -6 goal difference and beat Scunthorpe and Gillingham whilst we lose to Rochdale to have any chance.

If Scunthorpe lose on Saturday too, they would spoil Plymouth's chances if they draw or beat them. If they lose to Plymouth they can't catch us so you are correct based on the fixyures.

3 points would knock out the other teams with a mathematical chance.

• Options
    It's a short turnaround before the playoffs start, the final game on Saturday then the first game could be as early as the next Thursday, I hope the ticket office is prepared!
  • Options

Correct.
    If they both lose and we win, we'll be on 71 with one game to go.
    Let's assume we lose the last game.
    Scunthorpe will have two games left. One is against Plymouth. If they beat Plymouth and win their last game, they'll be on 73 points.
    However, Plymouth would have lost and if they win the last game, they'll only be on 68 points.
    If it's the other way around, where Plymouth beat Scunny and they both win their last game, it will be Scunny on 70 points and Plymouth on 71 points.
    We'll still be in the top 6, even if Plymouth has a better goalscore than us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

It's a short turnaround before the playoffs start, the final game on Saturday then the first game could be as early as the next Thursday, I hope the ticket office is prepared!

this i highly doubt, you cant even ring them to buy a ticket to blackburn
  • Options
    We can only finish 5th or 6th so it is going to be Shrewsbury or Rotherham with the first leg at home isn't it?
  • Options
    edited April 2018

We can only finish 5th or 6th so it is going to be Shrewsbury or Rotherham with the first leg at home isn't it?

No, first leg away.

EDIT: (Ignore, I'm probably wrong. Last year, 5 and 6 played first leg at home)
  • Options

Lets just win the remaining 4 games and we are up :)

1st step get to Play offs
    2nd step get to Wembley
    Win play offs

I feel taking it game by game we have a great chance for all, but again cant afford any slip ups. In Bower we trust!

It should be 5 remaining games btw!
    Yep my bad, must be tired this morning all these mistakes. TBF hayfever killing my eyes like a Biatch!
    Lets' hope the Rovers 'keeper is suffering a similar ailment on Saturday!
  • Options

I think so, either Thursday evening or Saturday lunchtime
  • Options
    3rd and 4th always play first leg away.
  • Options

I think so, either Thursday evening or Saturday lunchtime
    unless police advice which i doubt will happen
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

If results went our way (they won't) we could lose all 3 and still make play offs.

Realistically we need to break the 70 barrier.

How are were fairing against your prediction Daz? I have not seen an update for a while.
    Win the last 2 and we finish one point above my prediction.

draw one and win one, we finish 1 point behind it.

Win one and lose one 2 behind it.

draw one and lose one, 4 behind it.

lose both, 5 behind it.

Just in case you wondered still!?
  • Options
    Rotherham can't play at home on either the Thursday or Sunday as the Euro U17 tournament is going on

So if we finish 5th then we'll most likely play Rotherham on at home Saturday away Wednesday
    If we finish 6th then we'll be at home on the Thursday and away on the Sunday
  • Options

Thursday 10 May 7.45pm (League One A)
    6th vs Shrewsbury

Saturday 12 May 12.30pm (League One B )
    5th vs Rotherham

Sunday 13 May 5.15pm (League One A)
    Shrewsbury vs 6th.

Wednesday 16 May 7.45pm (League One B )
    Rotherham vs 5th.

————

This is based on Shrews finishing 3rd and Rotherham 4th. It takes into account that Rotherham have a Euro U17 game at their stadium on 13th and so must play in schedule B.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2018
    One hopes that the ticket office has the nous to realise that if we do make the play offs we will be at home first in any event as 5th is the highest we can finish.
  • Options
    the Sunday 5.15pm ko is a wee bit of a pisstake, as its a 4 hour train journey back with an hours wait at wolverhapton. at least the matches will be on sky for those that cant make it.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

the Sunday 5.15pm ko is a wee bit of a pisstake, as its a 4 hour train journey back with an hours wait at wolverhapton. at least the matches will be on sky for those that cant make it.

and when did Sky bother about the travelling supporters. I'm sure they're more happy with the millions 2 dozen people watching the games worldwide
  • Options

But still better for away support numbers than a midweek evening game due to work etc
  • Options
    edited April 2018

But still better for away support numbers than a midweek evening game due to work etc
    no issue with a sunday just could of been a bit earlier even on trains your talking leaving shrewsbury at 7.42pm and getting back into london for 12.13am or leaving shrewsbury at 8.24pm and getting back into London at 1.03am. id likely consider driving.

its on par with that ridiculous brighton fa cup tie away at united at 7.45pm this season - next season i believe there to be the norm can see that going well meaning majority of fans that want to attend away games will have to stop overnight.
  • Options
    on the boycott ive done it for 3 years only attending games when there's been a spare apart from pompey at home ( 25 year anni ) and mk dons ( pc keith palamer ), if your going to boycott buy your match ticket spend zilch in the ground and it wont be a bumper payday for roland.
  • Options

yep :) Scunny would be 4 points behind and Plymouth 6. Although they would both have 2 games left, they can't both win when they play each so Scunny win/draw = Plymouth wouldn't be able to chase us, Plymouth win = Scunny wouldn't be able to catch us.

Be nice if Scunthorpe falter but my eyes are firmly on Plymouth. If they fail to win Saturday then they are really up against it.
  • Options

6th vs Shrewsbury

5th vs Rotherham

Shrewsbury vs 6th.

Rotherham vs 5th.

————

This is based on Shrews finishing 3rd and Rotherham 4th. It takes into account that Rotherham have a Euro U17 game at their stadium on 13th and so must play in schedule B.

finishing 5th advantageous as extra days rest/time to recover niggling knocks
  • Options

6th vs Shrewsbury

5th vs Rotherham

Shrewsbury vs 6th.

Rotherham vs 5th.

————

finishing 5th advantageous as extra days rest/time to recover niggling knocks
    Except according to CAST we don't yet know if A is 3rd v 6th or 4th v 5th.

https://www.castrust.org/2018/04/play-off-times-confirmed/
    (We don't yet know which of A and B will be the games between third and sixth and which will be fourth against fifth)