Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jordan Cousins To Return (One Day)

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/16176535.Exclusive__Former_Charlton_midfielder_wants_Valley_return_one_day/

Jordan Cousins wants to return to Charlton one day as a player or coach.

The Addicks academy graduate, 24, left the Valley to join QPR after the club’s relegation to League One in 2016.

Greenwich-born Cousins made 136 first-team appearances and says Charlton will always have a place in his heart.

The midfielder, who is running his sports summer camp Evolution Sports in Greenwich at the end of July, told News Shopper: “I’d like to go back there one day, later in my career.

“I’ll always be grateful to Charlton because without them, I wouldn't be the person I am today.

“It’s my local club. It’s five minutes from the house where I was brought up in. In the latter years of my career, when I get a bit older, and I’ve achieved what I’ve wanted to achieve, I’d love to come back.

“If not as a player, then working with [Charlton academy manager] Steve Avory as a coach and helping the young players. That’s the route I want to take after football.

“I want to be connected with Charlton in some shape or form further down the line.

“I feel the academy is such an important thing, it’s such a great thing that they’ve got there. It’s something I’d love to be a part of later on in my career.”

Charlton moved four points clear of seventh-placed Plymouth after beating promotion rivals Portsmouth on Saturday.

With Plymouth and Scunthorpe needing to play each other, the Addicks will secure a play-off spot if they win their remaining two games against Blackburn and Rochdale.

And Cousins, who captained Charlton in the absence of Johnnie Jackson and Chris Solly, hopes the club wins promotion via Wembley on May 27.

He said: “I always check up on their results. I always want to see them do well - I’d like to see them come back to the Championship.

“So it’s good that they're in the play-offs now and I hope that they stay there and get promoted. Charlton will always have a place in my heart, so I want to see them do well.

“I know other teams have got games in hand but I think if Charlton win their next two games, they’ll definitely be in the play-offs. After that, it’s about who can hold their nerves.

“It’s a good squad and they’ll have a good chance going into the play-offs. I want them to get back in the Championship, because the club and the stadium, everything around it, it’s a club that needs to be there.”

A 19-year-old Cousins was beginning to establish himself in the first-team when unpopular owner Roland Duchatelet bought Charlton in January 2014.

He starred under Chris Powell, Jose Riga twice, Bob Peeters, Guy Luzon and Karel Fraeye - managers who felt Duchatelet’s wrath.

Comments

• How’s he doing at QPR has he been injured cos whenever I look he’s never starting for them
  • cabbles said:

WSS said:

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/16176535.Exclusive__Former_Charlton_midfielder_wants_Valley_return_one_day/

The Addicks academy graduate, 24, left the Valley to join QPR after the club’s relegation to League One in 2016.

Greenwich-born Cousins made 136 first-team appearances and says Charlton will always have a place in his heart.

The midfielder, who is running his sports summer camp Evolution Sports in Greenwich at the end of July, told News Shopper: “I’d like to go back there one day, later in my career.

“I’ll always be grateful to Charlton because without them, I wouldn't be the person I am today.

“It’s my local club. It’s five minutes from the house where I was brought up in. In the latter years of my career, when I get a bit older, and I’ve achieved what I’ve wanted to achieve, I’d love to come back.

“If not as a player, then working with [Charlton academy manager] Steve Avory as a coach and helping the young players. That’s the route I want to take after football.

“I want to be connected with Charlton in some shape or form further down the line.

“I feel the academy is such an important thing, it’s such a great thing that they’ve got there. It’s something I’d love to be a part of later on in my career.”

Charlton moved four points clear of seventh-placed Plymouth after beating promotion rivals Portsmouth on Saturday.

With Plymouth and Scunthorpe needing to play each other, the Addicks will secure a play-off spot if they win their remaining two games against Blackburn and Rochdale.

And Cousins, who captained Charlton in the absence of Johnnie Jackson and Chris Solly, hopes the club wins promotion via Wembley on May 27.

He said: “I always check up on their results. I always want to see them do well - I’d like to see them come back to the Championship.

“So it’s good that they're in the play-offs now and I hope that they stay there and get promoted. Charlton will always have a place in my heart, so I want to see them do well.

“I know other teams have got games in hand but I think if Charlton win their next two games, they’ll definitely be in the play-offs. After that, it’s about who can hold their nerves.

“It’s a good squad and they’ll have a good chance going into the play-offs. I want them to get back in the Championship, because the club and the stadium, everything around it, it’s a club that needs to be there.”

A 19-year-old Cousins was beginning to establish himself in the first-team when unpopular owner Roland Duchatelet bought Charlton in January 2014.

He starred under Chris Powell, Jose Riga twice, Bob Peeters, Guy Luzon and Karel Fraeye - managers who felt Duchatelet’s wrath.

he'll soon change his tune when we win the championship next season and he's sat in mid table with QPR
    No disrespect to him, and I felt he warranted a move away from us when he left becuase he had put a shift in and has a bit of talent, but he’s a limited championship at best imo. And saying that he may want to come back here toward the end of his career after he has achieved what he wants to achieve, however well intentioned, is a bit cheeky.

Granted he’s had an injury since he’s been at QPR and not had a proper run, but I’m not seeing a career in the Prem for him at all
    Yes, saying "the end of his career" suggests that for the next 10 years he'll be operating at a higher level than us during that period which is debatable, it's not as if he's a Gomez or Shelvey
  • cabbles said:

WSS said:

he'll soon change his tune when we win the championship next season and he's sat in mid table with QPR
    No disrespect to him, and I felt he warranted a move away from us when he left becuase he had put a shift in and has a bit of talent, but he’s a limited championship at best imo. And saying that he may want to come back here toward the end of his career after he has achieved what he wants to achieve, however well intentioned, is a bit cheeky.

Granted he’s had an injury since he’s been at QPR and not had a proper run, but I’m not seeing a career in the Prem for him at all
    Great engine and attitude but imho his technique isn't good enough for a Championship central midfielder. I'd be surprised given his age if he's improved his ball control skills since moving to QPR. That said he never failed to put in a shift for us so I hope I'm wrong about his limitations and he has a long and successful career
  • I'm not 100% sure he'd get in our team right now except at right-back. Kashi and JFC are much better on the ball, and they both have approaching his levels of energy
  • i'd have him back as a FB
  • cabbles said:

WSS said:

This. I also read that and thought it was quite cheeky, as if we are some bottom tier side that he could walk into later on in his career. You just never know in football, we could be anywhere in 5 years.

That said I think he has started a few games and if we did go up he would be right up there with who I would want us to sign. I can just imagine a midfield 3 of him Kashi and JFC, Kashi and Cousins with the energy and engine with JFC keeping it all ticking over.
  • Not very clever to refer to us as a club as if we’re small and will never again amount to much. Sort of undoes the good things he does say
  • Sponsored links:

• I think it could be a case of Cousins saying he wants to experience different things rather than just saying he's a level above us and will come back when he's on his last legs.
  • He can’t really disrespect the club he is with though. Always liked him and would like to see him back.

• maybe didn't mean in that way, but sounds as if were a Sunday league outfit that should be lucky to have him back - hes not that good.
  • Talal said:

Probably just a poor choice of words, I doubt he meant any disrespect. Clearly has feelings for the club or there wouldn't be any reason for him to talk about us.

The midfielder, who is running his sports summer camp Evolution Sports in Greenwich at the end of July

was always going to be asked about us when promoting his summer camp in the news shopper.
  • Talal said:

Probably just a poor choice of words, I doubt he meant any disrespect. Clearly has feelings for the club or there wouldn't be any reason for him to talk about us.

The midfielder, who is running his sports summer camp Evolution Sports in Greenwich at the end of July

was always going to be asked about us when promoting his summer camp in the news shopper.
    Ok but doesn't need to go into detail if he doesn't care.
  • Would love to see him back but my first thought on reading that is cheeky fcker
  • Sponsored links:

• I read it as more as after his playing career
  • cabbles said:

WSS said:

Great engine and attitude but imho his technique isn't good enough for a Championship central midfielder. I'd be surprised given his age if he's improved his ball control skills since moving to QPR. That said he never failed to put in a shift for us so I hope I'm wrong about his limitations and he has a long and successful career
    He's made 150 appearances at Champ level and never played below. I agree I can't see him becoming better technically but he's physical and intelligent enough to make up for it and compete at that level. Not every Champ CM needs their strengths to be their technique.

If injuries slow him down and he loses that edge he had (like Solly) then he may have to drop down a level.
  • edited April 2018
    The words of JC are a backhanded compliment. Going to come back as a centre back at 33 when his legs have gone !
    I said at the time when the Arsenal rumours were doing the rounds that Jordan's close control wasn't of premier standard and unless he was going to play RB or CB I couldn't ever see him playing above Championship.
    Not sour grapes just an honest appraisal of Jordon's ability.
    I was still gutted to see him leave Cafc.
  • No thanks, he couldn't wait to leave when he was with us before.
  • edited April 2018
    Davo55 said:

“It’s my local club. It’s five minutes from the house where I was brought up in. In the latter years of my career, when I get a bit older, and I’ve achieved what I’ve wanted to achieve, I’d love to come back."

Fook off Jordan. Come back earlier and achieve what you want to achieve with Charlton.

As others have mentioned, it may not be the best choice of words, but also remember:
    1) this was almost certainly part of a larger conversation that was cut into quotes by the writer
    2) the context around it in the article indicates very clearly that he means accomplished all he wants to accomplish in a playing sense as what he's talking is a move into coaching. Basically, he means when he's ready to retire. Maybe the choice of wording isn't great, but even then I think it's clear what he meant in context and wasn't intended as a slight at us.
  • Clever marketing for his summer football camp and a good way for a newspaper to get a few more hits.

Everything other than that is just meaningless noise.
  • Seems that Jordan has a genuine affection for his local team, but his choice of words is clumsy to say the least! Sure it was well intentioned though. Might be seeing you sooner rather than later JC..,
  • SDAddick said:

Davo55 said:

“It’s my local club. It’s five minutes from the house where I was brought up in. In the latter years of my career, when I get a bit older, and I’ve achieved what I’ve wanted to achieve, I’d love to come back."

Fook off Jordan. Come back earlier and achieve what you want to achieve with Charlton.

As others have mentioned, it may not be the best choice of words, but also remember:
    1) this was almost certainly part of a larger conversation that was cut into quotes by the writer
    2) the context around it in the article indicates very clearly that he means accomplished all he wants to accomplish in a playing sense as what he's talking is a move into coaching. Basically, he means when he's ready to retire. Maybe the choice of wording isn't great, but even then I think it's clear what he meant in context and wasn't intended as a slight at us.
    Yeah tbh that's how the 'end of my career' bit reads. He wants to coach after being a player, and would like to do it at Charlton.

Seems fair enough to me and comes across as a good guy.