Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

***PSA Tests for Prostate Cancer at The Valley - next one in Feb ***

Comments

• Green for me.
  • Green for me.
  • Solidgone said:

Did any of The Plymouth fans take part?

Yes they did. About 80 had the tests.
  • cafc999 said:

Got my results today. Green. Glad i done the test and a massive shout out to @Tracey for organising it.

Thank you. My husband was a green also. His first ever test but hopefully he will be having it every year now.
  • Thank goodness I read this thread, got the letter yesterday and couldn't make head nor tail of if and was concerned.
    The only colours were black print, blue logo stuff and a green bit, which I assume is a good thing.
    The reply letter is poorly designed, very confusing, and ambiguous once you try to machete through it.
    For five pounds it is good though, but whoever thought up the letter was not seeing it from the recipients point of view.
  • seth plum said:

Thank goodness I read this thread, got the letter yesterday and couldn't make head nor tail of if and was concerned.
    The only colours were black print, blue logo stuff and a green bit, which I assume is a good thing.
    The reply letter is poorly designed, very confusing, and ambiguous once you try to machete through it.
    For five pounds it is good though, but whoever thought up the letter was not seeing it from the recipients point of view.

Glad it wasn't just me. The Mrs deciphered it for me.
  • Green for me as well on an age related basis.

So assuming the sale goes through is this going to be annual thing? Might be an idea for our new owners (and other clubs) wanting to keep their aged support healthy if they included it in the price of a senior season ticket with an equivalent breast cancer test for our partners if they also hold season tickets.
  • All clear for me as well, thanks again for raising awareness @Tracey
  • Just one point I'd like to make. If you had a green/all clear that's good news, but it's not 100% proof that you don't have the disease.
    If you have any problems peeing (especially if you feel the urge to pee but it takes some time for the flow to start, and it ends before it should), then I'd advise you to see your GP, low score or not. Chances are it's nothing, but much better to be safe than sorry.
    The PSA is merely and indicator, but it can be relied upon too much.
  • Sponsored links:

• Got my results,reading too high,confirmed by second test,now being referred to hospital for further examinations.Hopefully will turn out ok,but Had it not been for the test at Charlton,I probably would not have bothered because I did not have any symptoms.So,guys get your arse down to the doctors and get tested.(I am 74 years old)
  • Got my results,reading too high,confirmed by second test,now being referred to hospital for further examinations.Hopefully will turn out ok,but Had it not been for the test at Charlton,I probably would not have bothered because I did not have any symptoms.So,guys get your arse down to the doctors and get tested.(I am 74 years old)

All the best.

Good luck.

How else is the doc going to test if you don't bring it with you?

Good luck.
  • Didn’t make it to the game so didn’t get tested but an ex colleague of mine got tested recently, no symptoms but had had two friends who had gotten the disease and so it focussed his mind. Turned out he also has it but caught early and confident of a positive outcome so just goes to show how effective these tests can be.

I will get one done very soon myself.
  • edited April 2018
    Always worth remembering that there are two types of prostate cancer; one which is benign, where the prostate slowly increases in size. You're increasingly likely to have this as you get older. It often requires no treatment. The second is a more aggressive cancer, but this can also be treated successfully, especially when caught early. The latter is much less common than the former.
    You can also have a high reading on the PSA tests and not have prostate cancer. It's not a reliable test, but it's all that we have. It's very useful as a net to get people in for further testing.

They say if you're 60 you have a 60% chance of having PC, if you're 70 it's 70% etc. But it can be very slow developing.

Good luck mate.

Good luck and if I can help in anyway please let me know.

All the best
  • Sponsored links:

Sorry to hear the results of your PSA Test was on tbe high side.

I have been through it, had radiotheraply and have come out of it in a good way.

If you need to seek advice from somebody who has been through it, just pm me. I am happy to chat it through with you
  • RobRob
    edited April 2018
    JamesSeed said:

Always worth remembering that there are two types of prostate cancer; one which is benign, where the prostate slowly increases in size. You're increasingly likely to have this as you get older. It often requires no treatment. The second is a more aggressive cancer, but this can also be treated successfully, especially when caught early. The latter is much less common than the former.
    You can also have a high reading on the PSA tests and not have prostate cancer. It's not a reliable test, but it's all that we have. It's very useful as a net to get people in for further testing.

They say if you're 60 you have a 60% chance of having PC, if you're 70 it's 70% etc. But it can be very slow developing.

In the US now the PSA test is not necessarily considered to be a good test.

Below are the reasons, taken from the official site of a large US Health Company (Kaiser Permanente)

Key points to remember
    PSA tests can help find some prostate cancers early, when the cancer may be easier to treat. The largest study of prostate cancer screening so far showed that PSA testing may prevent a small number of men from dying of prostate cancer.
    A high PSA level can have many causes, including an enlarged prostate, an infection, or, less often, prostate cancer. A high PSA can cause a lot of worry and lead to more tests. But most high PSA test results will not turn out to be from cancer.
    Many cancers found by PSA tests would not have caused a problem if they had not been found through screening. But when they are found, they often get treated with surgery to remove the prostate or with radiation. These cancer treatments may not have been needed. And they can have serious side effects, such as urinary, bowel, and erection problems.
    Many prostate cancers grow slowly. This means that many men with prostate cancer will die of something else before their prostate cancer advances enough to cause any problems.
    With faster-growing prostate cancers, finding the cancer early may not help you live longer. Some prostate cancers will be fatal no matter when they are found or how they are treated.

Also, this is under the "Here's what some experts say" drop down -

Experts disagree on how useful PSA testing is. PSA testing can help find prostate cancer early. But it may not help you live any longer than if you had no screening. And it could lead to harmful treatments you don't need. Talk with your doctor about your health, your risk factors for prostate cancer, and the pros and cons of PSA testing. The choice is up to you.
    Here's what some experts say:
    The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommends against PSA tests to look for prostatecancer. The USPSTF found that testing does more harm than good. Men who are tested may end up gettingtreatment they don't need, and those treatments can cause other problems. Few, if any, men are helped tolive longer by having the test.
    The American Cancer Society (ACS) advises men to talk with their doctors about testing and treatment before deciding about testing. The ACS says that men should not be tested without learning about the risks and benefits. The ACS advises talking to a doctor about testing:
    At age 50 for men who are at average risk of getting prostate cancer and are expected to live at least 10 more years.
    At age 45 for men at high risk, such as African Americans and men who have a first-degree relative (father, brother, or son) who had prostate cancer when he was younger than 65.
    At age 40 for men at an even higher risk, such as those with several first-degree relatives who had prostate cancer at an early age.
    The American Urological Association (AUA) recommends that:
    Men under age 40 shouldn't have PSA screening.
    Men ages 40 to 54 who are at average risk shouldn't have routine PSA screening.
    Men ages 55 to 69 should talk with their doctors about having the test. Discuss the benefits and harms of PSA screening before deciding if you want the test. If you decide to have this test, having it every 2 years rather than every year may reduce the harms.
    Men ages 70 and older (or any man with less than a 10- to 15-year life expectancy) shouldn't have routine PSA screening.

• My doctor advised me, last week, not to have a test, saying that I should consider it again if I start experiencing some of the symptoms. I am 51.
  • Ben Stiller was diagnosed at 48yrs old with aggressive Prostate Cancer because he had a PSA test. He had no family history or symptoms. Read his story here:-
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3961338/It-wasn-t-radar-Ben-Stiller-describes-shock-discovering-aggressive-prostate-cancer-dealing-effects-treatment.html
  • My doctor advised me, last week, not to have a test, saying that I should consider it again if I start experiencing some of the symptoms. I am 51.

Is he an expert or a GP dealing with a million and one different illnesses and symptoms ? the way I see it (I’m clearly even less of an expert) is having one early and regularly thereafter at least gives you a benchmark and provides more overall pooled data that hopefully someone one day can use to identify a previously unnoticed link and find a better way. Personally, I think I’d prefer a flawed early warning that I can later dismiss than no early warning.
    Fair point! He is a GP. I'll look into it further.
  • edited April 2018
    I have my blood tested periodically due to high blood pressure and medication. I'm over 50 but the GP has never suggested a PSA test. I will make sure to ask that this is included next time.
    And many thanks to @Tracey for bringing this into the spotlight.
  • I was told by one doctor to have the test every year, (I was in my 50's), but when I moved I was told by my new doctor it was a waste of time. If all doctors cannot give you the same advice, who do we believe. By the way, I am now in my 70's and had a test a few months ago, and the count was low, thank goodness, I think
    ross1 said:

I was told by one doctor to have the test every year, (I was in my 50's), but when I moved I was told by my new doctor it was a waste of time.

Is it any wonder that the number of deaths from Prostate cancer is now such a major concern if do nothing until you notice the symptoms is the advice