Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Congratulations Accrington Stanley

2»

Comments

• Oggy Red said:

Who are they?

Potted history:

The original town club, Accrington, was amongst the twelve founder members of the Football League in 1888, before resigning from the league after just five years. A team called Stanley Villa already existed at the time, named as such because they were based at the Stanley W.M.C. on Stanley Street in Accrington. With the demise of Accrington, Stanley Villa took the town name to become Accrington Stanley.

Accrington Stanley were a famous old Football League club until 1962, when they couldn't fulfill the rest of that seasons fixtures and resigned the League before eventually going bust. They reformed in 1968 and gradually climbed back through the leagues until Football League status was gained.

PS: vague Charlton connection:
    2011–12 was a season of transition for the club. Following a shaky start to the season the arrival of Bryan Hughes in October transformed the club's fortunes.

Yes, the very man whose winning Charlton penalty against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, famously inflicted a first home Chelsea home defeat for Jose Mourinho - which of course, he denied had happened. :smile:

Thanks Oggy. I think I might have whooshed you a little bit but I did enjoy reading your history :-)

https://youtu.be/zPFrTBppRfw

Oggy Red said:

Who are they?

Potted history:

The original town club, Accrington, was amongst the twelve founder members of the Football League in 1888, before resigning from the league after just five years. A team called Stanley Villa already existed at the time, named as such because they were based at the Stanley W.M.C. on Stanley Street in Accrington. With the demise of Accrington, Stanley Villa took the town name to become Accrington Stanley.

Accrington Stanley were a famous old Football League club until 1962, when they couldn't fulfill the rest of that seasons fixtures and resigned the League before eventually going bust. They reformed in 1968 and gradually climbed back through the leagues until Football League status was gained.

2011–12 was a season of transition for the club. Following a shaky start to the season the arrival of Bryan Hughes in October transformed the club's fortunes.

Yes, the very man whose winning Charlton penalty against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, famously inflicted a first home Chelsea home defeat for Jose Mourinho - which of course, he denied had happened. :smile:

Thanks Oggy. I think I might have whooshed you a little bit but I did enjoy reading your history :-)

I wonder if Karl knew that kid?
  • Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

Who are they?

Potted history:

Thanks, Santa ....... I had no idea I was being WHOOOSHED! lol

I don't remember seeing the milk advert so "Accrington Stanley, who are they?" went right over my head.
    And I don't think that lad's mother will be too happy with him putting a dirty football on a kitchen work top where food is probably prepared.
  • If Blackburn don't go up this will be their derby whilst Burnley could potentially play in Europe, who saw that coming ten years years?

I think if it's a Saturday we're take a respectable* away following there.

*By our standards.