Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket - Summer of 2018

Time for a new thread and with the news that (and this pertains to post summer) the minnows of the BBC have been outbid by the mighty Talksport for the free to air rights for radio coverage of England's tours of the West Indies and Sri Lanka.

On a more positive note the Strauss has decided to get rid of Messrs Fraser and Newell as selectors because of their coaching roles with Middlesex and Notts respectively. Ed Smith has been appointed as a selector so we can now fully expect five or six Kent players to become England Internationals.

Comments

• BBC losing radio rights is a disaster. Another nail in the coffin of cricket.
  • Also Ed Smith, mate of strauss, going to be the new chairman of selectors
  • redman said:

BBC losing radio rights is a disaster. Another nail in the coffin of cricket.

Sad news.

Interesting news about Ed Smith. A shame in one way as I like him on TMS, at the moment there are relatively few new "lead commentators" in cricket, most people are better suited to be the second "pundit" commentator
  • redman said:

Sad news.

Interesting news about Ed Smith. A shame in one way as I like him on TMS, at the moment there are relatively few new "lead commentators" in cricket, most people are better suited to be the second "pundit" commentator
    The BBC have not lost the radio rights, they just don't have them this winter. Talksport had overseas radio rights some years ago with the late Jack Bannister as their senior commentator. The coverage was ok but the adverts and continued sponsorship mentios did become tedious. Be interesting who Talksport employ, obviously they already have Goughie on board. Wouldn't be surprised if they went for the likes of Swann, Vaughn and Tuffers.
    Maybe this is the kick up the backside TMS needs, hopefully they will revert to a more professional approach this summer and not lead to the ECB to start looking elsewhere.
  • are the radio rights not for the West Indians and Sri Lankans to sell ?
  • MrOneLung said:

are the radio rights not for the West Indians and Sri Lankans to sell ?

Of course they are.
  • My gob is truly smacked.
  • Riviera said:

redman said:

Sad news.

The BBC have not lost the radio rights, they just don't have them this winter. Talksport had overseas radio rights some years ago with the late Jack Bannister as their senior commentator. The coverage was ok but the adverts and continued sponsorship mentios did become tedious. Be interesting who Talksport employ, obviously they already have Goughie on board. Wouldn't be surprised if they went for the likes of Swann, Vaughn and Tuffers.
    Maybe this is the kick up the backside TMS needs, hopefully they will revert to a more professional approach this summer and not lead to the ECB to start looking elsewhere.
    This deal has nothing to do with the quality of the TMS offering, Talksport offered the Sri Lankans and Windies more money, and they accepted. After all, why would they be bothered who covers the game in another country?
  • edited April 2018

Riviera said:

redman said:

Sad news.

This deal has nothing to do with the quality of the TMS offering, Talksport offered the Sri Lankans and Windies more money, and they accepted. After all, why would they be bothered who covers the game in another country?
    I never said it did!
    I said that I hoped TMS take it as a hint that there are other interested parties and they do not have a god given right to broadcast England matches.
    The West Indies Board are so broke they'd give the rights to a bloke with two tin cans a piece of string if they paid the most.
  • Riviera said:

Riviera said:

redman said:

Sad news.

I never said it did!
    I said that I hoped TMS take it as a hint that there are other interested parties and they do not have a god given right to broadcast England matches.
    For overseas Tests, money counts

For UK Tests, the ECB have stuck with TMS (and I'm sure they'll continue to do so) as there would be a massive outcry if they went with a commercial operator, especially when virtually all TV cricket in this country is behind a paywall...
  • Sponsored links:

• ECB announce new comp starting in 2020 will be a 100 ball comp with 15 normal overs pus a 10 ball over. 36 games over 38 days.

Even less cricket then.
  • ECB announce new comp starting in 2020 will be a 100 ball comp with 15 normal overs pus a 10 ball over. 36 games over 38 days.

Even less cricket then.

Whats the reasoning behind this ?

Even less cricket then.

This is just the 5 week franchise tournament that has previously been approved.

Guess they've just changed the format so as not to compete with the T20 blast. Rather odd though
  • What a joke.
  • Bizarre. I can't imagine too many bowlers wanting to bowl a 10 ball over either
  • I'm never going to defend the indefensible ECB and its desperate addiction to more 'money whatever the consequences' but it wasn't that callow whore that chose t@lksp0rt over TMS for the upcoming overseas tours, it was the host cricket bodies.
    So long as the matches get ball by ball coverage, what's not to like? There's a mute button for the adverts. Both channels are free to air so no fees to the despicable m"rd0ch organisation. I'm sure a few familiar voices will be heard. Of the regular BBC voices, very few are employees as such and free to earn wherever the opportunities arise. Aggers's quiet authority will be missed but we've been getting used to broadcasts without him in recent times as he's had a far more important thing to do.
    I've no idea if Ed Smith will be any good as head selector but hopefully it will keep his self-important humourless drivel off the airways. So long as t@lksp0rt resist the temptation to employ Boycott, it should be fine.
  • edited April 2018
    The ECB don't select the overseas tour broadcaster, it's the choice of the home board, and the ECB are pretty committed to TMS/BBC for home tests.
  • What a joke.

I think its a bit premature to call it a joke before we even understand what its all about.
  • I don't. 10 ball overs... joke.

Even less cricket then.

WTF?
  • Sponsored links:

Even less cricket then.

It does make you wonder what idiots are running the game .
    They design a brand new format which is that last thing we need and say they are expecting a brand new set of fans to watch it !
    What brand new fans ? Where are they coming from ?
    Ridiculous

Even less cricket then.

I think they are trying to invent a game of cricket that appeals to people who dont like cricket.
    I await some dick from the ECB announcing a one ball competition in a couple of years time, forget that lets just have a televised toss and see who wins.
  • Why mess with what works? The beauty of T20 in the first place was that there were no gimmicks.

Even less cricket then.

Less cricket, more shit.
  • It's to do with getting cricket back on free to air channels. The BBC are taking this competition and they apparently only want games to last 2/3 hours.

T20 games these days are getting on for 4 hours which is getting too long for free to air channels audiences.

It's a weird format but can see what they are trying to achieve, along with not competing with the current t20 competition and risk driving the grounds not in this new format away.
  • I love any form of cricket, and to diss it before its even understood is a bit immature.
    Yeah, 10 ball over sounds odd - but its not long ago that 8 ball overs were the norm to be bowled in Australia. (well, ok, about 40 years ago)
  • edited April 2018

I love any form of cricket, and to diss it before its even understood is a bit immature.
    Yeah, 10 ball over sounds odd - but its not long ago that 8 ball overs were the norm to be bowled in Australia. (well, ok, about 40 years ago)

The difference here is that it's one "set" of ten balls, tacked on to the end of 15 six-ball overs. Makes very little sense. I don't know what the ECB are playing at.
  • HarryLime said:

ECB announce new comp starting in 2020 will be a 100 ball comp with 15 normal overs pus a 10 ball over. 36 games over 38 days.

Even less cricket then.

I think they are trying to invent a game of cricket that appeals to people who dont like cricket.
    I await some dick from the ECB announcing a one ball competition in a couple of years time, forget that lets just have a televised toss and see who wins.
    The existing T20 format caters well enough for people who aren't that bothered about cricket, many of the people at the Oval for example are just there to get pissed after work!
  • I can only presume that they feel that the most exciting part of this shortened game could be the last over of the chase in many cases, so want to extent that exciting bit as much as possible. Certainly sounds like something dreamt up by a marketeer rather than anybody who actually knows anything about cricket.

Equally, having it 100 balls allows them to call it Centurians or some other wanky name, Fifteen15 hasn't got the same right to it.