Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nice interview with Curbs

Scandalous the way football has treated him since he stood up to his employer. Had a lot more to offer.

Still, I appreciate there are worse fates than becoming a football pundit.

https://thesetpieces.com/interviews/alan-curbishley/

Comments

• Shows how much football management has changed when he is still in the Top 10 managers with most amount of games managed in the Premier League.

Little bit sad that article but at least he seems to have accepted the situation. Would have him back in a heartbeat in an advisory capacity.
  • I'm in that pic of him in front of the West stand.

Well a younger version of me.
  • Vincenzo said:

Scandalous the way football has treated him since he stood up to his employer. Had a lot more to offer.

Why? He clearly states he had plenty of job offers and opportunities, but for whatever reason he chose not to take them.

Perhaps some stubbornness on his part as he says a lot were championship clubs. It's highly possible that if he'd taken one and got them promoted, he'd still be working in management today.

did you play for Southampton?
  • Vincenzo said:

Why? He clearly states he had plenty of job offers and opportunities, but for whatever reason he chose not to take them.

Perhaps some stubbornness on his part as he says a lot were championship clubs. It's highly possible that if he'd taken one and got them promoted, he'd still be working in management today.
    Said it before... His attitude not to take any old job is whats saved his reputation.

Would much prefer a Manager coming into Charlton with that attitude to roles because they actually feel they can make a difference rather than us getting an Alan Pardew type figure who just sees it as another pay out when things eventually go wrong
  • Interesting that in the mentor relationships mentioned in the article, 3 of the individuals (Jones, Hart and Lennie) have Charlton connections.

• Sponsored links:

Were the trains on time that day then? :smile:
  • Vincenzo said:

Said it before... His attitude not to take any old job is whats saved his reputation.

Would much prefer a Manager coming into Charlton with that attitude to roles because they actually feel they can make a difference rather than us getting an Alan Pardew type figure who just sees it as another pay out when things eventually go wrong
    But his attitude to not take any old job is why he isn't working in management any more.

Can't argue with your point about Pardew type managers, but at the same time i can't believe that every job Curbs was offered after west ham was beneath him. Plenty of decent managers are working in the championship. Wolves' manager was in charge at Valencia and Porto before coming to the championship, so if that's not beneath him, then it shouldn't have been for Curbs either.

Were the trains on time that day then? :smile:
    Doubt it.
  • buckshee said:

Him as director of football leaving Bowyer to do the coaching?

Yes please.

If we are still in this division I could see this happening.

If we were to clinch promotion I could see new owners wanting someone with more experience taking over. i.e Mick McCarthy type.
  • I always thought England missed a trick with him when they choose the wally with the brolley instead.
  • I always thought England missed a trick with him when they choose the wally with the brolley instead.

In retrospect, but at the time it made complete sense. The guy had already worked as an assistant to the England team, so it was the natural next step for him. After all Joachim Löw took over as Germany manager, also in 2006, after 2 years as assistant, and that didn't work out too badly...

In retrospect, but at the time it made complete sense. The guy had already worked as an assistant to the England team, so it was the natural next step for him. After all Joachim Löw took over as Germany manager, also in 2006, after 2 years as assistant, and that didn't work out too badly...
    Difference being that Germany actually care about their youth infrastructure.
  • I can't imagine curbs joining the manager merry go round.

• Sponsored links:

• I think Murray got it right when he told us that in his opinion Parky was a better manager than Curbs.

Always had a lot of time for Parky - but better than Curbs? Seven year's in the Premier League.
    Don't think so.

:).

• I think Murray got it right when he told us that in his opinion Parky was a better manager than Curbs.

:).

Haha ..... and there was me thinking Murray wasn't really telling the truth :smile:
  • The players were always the most important thing to Curbs.

He worked really hard in scouting and assessing skills and personalities before bringing players in and forming a team. His endeavour certainly paid off for Charlton. When West Ham took recruitment and retention decisions away from him it was like chopping his right arm off.

Curbs was every inch a manager (as opposed to head coach). I'm not sure how many old fashioned manager jobs still exist at the top level of football, but I think Curbs would find it difficult to merely train and prepare players who were selected for him.

A rather amusing thought would be Curbs reaction to the waifs and strays sent to the Valley by Duchatelet Meire and Driesen. Can you just imagine?
  • If I was the new owner of Charlton, I would give Curbs a role supporting somebody like Bowyer or JJ. Not through sentiment, but through logic.
  • Alan pardew is someone that should really be struggling to get back into the game....(since 2008)

Curbishleys phone stopped ringing....

A lot of people are stupid
  • edited May 2018