Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Congratulations Accrington Stanley

Promoted into League One for the first time in their history.

Comments

• See you next seasom accy
  • Massive congratulations... Might not be playing them but have a soft spot for the Underdog and Accrington achieving that with their budget is huge

John Coleman is Mr Accrington and you cant forget the contributions from Rob Elliot and Darren Randolph in getting them into the Football League in the first place
  • A brilliant achievement

What are the odds on their first game being home to Sunderland!
  • I hope they go on and become Champions.
  • I hope they go on and become Champions.

Only got themselves to blame if they dont...

Already four points clear of Luton with another game in hand and only three games left for Luton
  • Great achievement, well done to them.
  • That's gonna be A LOT of Big Macs...
  • Bumble will be pleased.
  • Ian Rush, who’s laughing now?
  • Sponsored links:

• Amazing given how small their budget is.
  • Bumble will be pleased.

So will Rod, Jane and Freddy

• Ian Rush, who’s laughing now?

Exaccccctly
  • Good on 'em...

• Did you know ..... Accrington has a population of only 35,000?

How do you sustain a League One club from such a small town?
  • edited April 2018
    Oggy Red said:

Who are they?

Potted history:

The original town club, Accrington, was amongst the twelve founder members of the Football League in 1888, before resigning from the league after just five years. A team called Stanley Villa already existed at the time, named as such because they were based at the Stanley W.M.C. on Stanley Street in Accrington. With the demise of Accrington, Stanley Villa took the town name to become Accrington Stanley.

Accrington Stanley were a famous old Football League club until 1962, when they couldn't fulfill the rest of that seasons fixtures and resigned the League before eventually going bust. They reformed in 1968 and gradually climbed back through the leagues until Football League status was gained.

PS: vague Charlton connection:
    2011–12 was a season of transition for the club. Following a shaky start to the season the arrival of Bryan Hughes in October transformed the club's fortunes.

Yes, the very man whose winning Charlton penalty against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, famously inflicted a first home Chelsea home defeat for Jose Mourinho - which of course, he denied had happened. :smile:

Thanks Oggy. I think I might have whooshed you a little bit but I did enjoy reading your history :-)

https://youtu.be/zPFrTBppRfw
  • Well done Stanley , fully deserved
  • Well done, fully deserved shame we wont play you next season, unless we are drawn in the cup
  • Oggy Red said:

Did you know ..... Accrington has a population of only 35,000?

How do you sustain a League One club from such a small town?

Bet thats small thanks to the First World War

Werent the Accrington Pals Battalion at the Somme? - Can imagine thats also what sent the original Accrington into their demise
  • Sponsored links:

• Accrington Stanley, such a great name for a football club and always had a soft spot for them, fantastic achievement.
  • Incredible achievement. Just looked and they have the 2nd LOWEST average crowd in the entire league.

1,853 is their average this season. That's smaller than a lot of National league sides and even some tier 6 sides.
  • Incredible achievement. Just looked and they have the 2nd LOWEST average crowd in the entire league.

1,853 is their average this season. That's smaller than a lot of National league sides and even some tier 6 sides.

Dulwich hamlet get similar Home gates and are 4 levels below Accrington.
  • Always dreamt of playing Accrington Stanley in the league... THANKYOU ROLAND!
  • I'm sure their owner was complaining that the local people don't get behind the team and it was a source of annoyance.

Fabulous achievement from them to be fair
  • Swisdom said:

I'm sure their owner was complaining that the local people don't get behind the team and it was a source of annoyance.

Fabulous achievement from them to be fair

A well run club punching well above their weight - you'd be proud to support them. I hope they can stay afloat in L1.

• Oggy Red said:

Who are they?

Potted history:

The original town club, Accrington, was amongst the twelve founder members of the Football League in 1888, before resigning from the league after just five years. A team called Stanley Villa already existed at the time, named as such because they were based at the Stanley W.M.C. on Stanley Street in Accrington. With the demise of Accrington, Stanley Villa took the town name to become Accrington Stanley.

Accrington Stanley were a famous old Football League club until 1962, when they couldn't fulfill the rest of that seasons fixtures and resigned the League before eventually going bust. They reformed in 1968 and gradually climbed back through the leagues until Football League status was gained.

2011–12 was a season of transition for the club. Following a shaky start to the season the arrival of Bryan Hughes in October transformed the club's fortunes.

Yes, the very man whose winning Charlton penalty against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, famously inflicted a first home Chelsea home defeat for Jose Mourinho - which of course, he denied had happened. :smile:

Thanks Oggy. I think I might have whooshed you a little bit but I did enjoy reading your history :-)

Thanks, Santa ....... I had no idea I was being WHOOOSHED! lol

I don't remember seeing the milk advert so "Accrington Stanley, who are they?" went right over my head.
  • Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

Who are they?

Potted history:

Thanks, Santa ....... I had no idea I was being WHOOOSHED! lol

I don't remember seeing the milk advert so "Accrington Stanley, who are they?" went right over my head.
    Maybe showing my age here, but it's one of, if not the most memorable advert for me as a kid. Not many others that resonate with me as much as this one.
  • 25/1 at the start of the season. Thank you Accrington. Great achievement for a nice, well run club. Had a great day out there a couple of years ago to knock off the ground.