Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Play Off Final 98 - The whole game and Sky Coverage

Have found the whole Sky Coverage minus about 2 mins at the start on you tube. Simply type in Charlton v Sunderland Play Off Final 1998

Really great to watch the after game bits as my recording on the day run out of tape (kids ask your parents) just after Kinsella lifted the cup

Comments

• Thanks great day that was.
  • How odd. Was in pub Saturday night and the football was on TV. Not really taking too much notice - Championship / MLS highlights etc - and as we were about to leave (around midnight) highlights of the Wembley game appeared! Had to stay and watch, took me right back, needed a bit of cheering up after watching the dross I'd seen earlier on that day!!!
  • If anyone wants the dvd I have it
  • Ray Wilkins there doing the analysis, RIP.

• My recording ran out for the interviews - I wasn't expecting extra time and penalties.
  • Watched it back on dvd dozens of times. Steve Jones with the assist and Rufus with the goal. Wonder whatever happened to them.
  • Always remember that tackle from Brown before the 4th goal....could be a red in todays game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Daddy_Pig said:

Watched it back on dvd dozens of times. Steve Jones with the assist and Rufus with the goal. Wonder whatever happened to them.

Steve Jones, as a player, was seriously underrrated in my opinion. Worked tirelessly, strong, and could always pop up with a cheeky goal.

Just the sort of player we need more of now.
  • I remember thinking for a split second after Sasa Ilic saved THAT spot kick that we still had to score another one! Totally forgot it was sudden death and that we had won! Mind you, by that time I was totally drained, both physically and mentally - do you remember just how hot it was in Wembley that day?
  • Daddy_Pig said:

Watched it back on dvd dozens of times. Steve Jones with the assist and Rufus with the goal. Wonder whatever happened to them.

Richard Rufus is the manager of club Langley u7s we played them a couple of weeks ago.He's a lovely bloke...very humble and interested in what I had to say about charlton.
  • edited April 2018

If anyone wants the dvd I have it

@paulie8290 I would like it please and either pay you for it or make a donation to the Upbeats. We taped the day but my daughter overwrote it with some garbage!
  • I enjoyed watching the end and the interviews for the first time. Was thinking how most of today's squad are not fit to wipe those players' arses.
  • I enjoyed watching the end and the interviews for the first time. Was thinking how most of today's squad are not fit to wipe those players' arses.

That was a great team.

The thing I remember from the day was that my legs were shaking during the penalties. I've never felt so nervous about anything before or since.
  • Anyone else still get a little nervous watching the penalties?

I always get nervous watching those penalties. My foot was tapping just then watching them again, and when the penalty is saved I get goosebumps and all the hairs on the back of my neck stand up
  • Did we win?
  • edited April 2018
    bobmunro said:

Did we win?

No. According to some on here we only drew.
  • Sponsored links:

• addick05 said:

I remember thinking for a split second after Sasa Ilic saved THAT spot kick that we still had to score another one! Totally forgot it was sudden death and that we had won! Mind you, by that time I was totally drained, both physically and mentally - do you remember just how hot it was in Wembley that day?

Boiling, I was 12 nd had a bomber jacket. I had a huge headache by the time I got home, a mixture of elation, tiredness, exhaustion and my spurs supporting brother annoying the crap out of me!
  • I do not need reminding of the closest I have have ever been to a nervous breakdown
  • Think I'll watch this (again) tonight rather than following the game.
  • Watched it all again. Ilic didn't make a save all game til the penalty haha. Heaney put in a good shift, surprised he wasn't offered a deal.
    Remember when Jones and Newton stepped up to take their pens thinking "shit, this is it". Apologies to them!
  • edited April 2018
    I don't think I fancied any of them to put one away - even Clive! Such was my dread that we’d blow it!

Clive - “game of his life, he’s bound to undo it all”

Bowen - “a left back, he ain’t got a chance”

Kinsella - “got a bad feeling”

Brown - “He’s gonna sky it”

Newton - “fuck - that’s it, no chance”

Robbo - “has he even got any energy left to kick it”

• I don't think I fancied any of them to put one away - even Clive! Such was my dread that we’d blow it!

You really can't mean that about Clive. His was never in doubt. The rest, however.......
  • edited April 2018
    See above - i’m so glass half empty that I was convinced after the game of his life, he’d then miss the pen and undo all his genius!
  • Genius is the right word for Clive. With the ball at his feet in front of goal he was in a class of his own.
  • Newton was my favourite player at the time. Can remember the bloke behind me cursing him as he walked up for his pen saying how he'd miss.

My smug 7 year old face was the first thing he saw after he slotted it.