Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Shrewsbury v Charlton | Tue 17 Apr | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Shrewsbury Town v Charlton Athletic
Tuesday 17th April 2018 … 7:45pm Kick-Off
Referee: Darren Handley (Lancashire)

Introduction

Saturday saw another crunch game at the Valley in which the Addicks, like so often this season, failed to deliver – Three points would have gone a long way in securing a Play-Off spot, Charlton though don’t make life easy, despite four games still remaining, our fate to an extent is out of our hands… We travel to Shropshire this evening needing a huge result… Just a shame its against a side still chasing automatic promotion!!

The Opposition
Name: Shrewsbury Town | Manager: Paul Hurst
Ground: The New Meadow

It’s been a remarkable season for the Shrews… One of the favourites for relegation, they’ve defied the odds to secure at least a Play-Off place – Going up against Wigan and Blackburn on their budget is no easy task and as we enter the final stages of the season, it looks as though the strength and depth of the top two will be too strong for our opponents tonight as a five point gap has opened up.

Still you should never write off this side… With a game in hand over Blackburn (which they play tonight), that gap could yet be reduced to just two points – With Blackburn still to visit the Valley, Charlton might yet have a say in who’ll be playing Championship Football next season.

The Play-Off Race
The game against Shrewsbury tonight is simply happening now because of our opponents achievement in reaching the Football League Trophy Final - Fighting to catch up, Charlton can return to fifth in the table tonight, regardless of results elsewhere, the Addicks will at least end up back in the Play-Offs if they can record a win.

The reason for that is the fact that of our Play-Off rivals; only Rotherham (realistically out of reach now) and Portsmouth play this evening, both away from home at Bradford and Gillingham respectively… Ultimately Plymouth will end up with two games in hand after tonight – We must continue to apply that pressure!!

Charlton Team News
After a bright start for Lee Bowyer, it appears to have gone a bit sour… Having scored nine goals in three games, we’ve now gone to scoring just one goal in three games – One of the reasons for that downturn in form will have been the absence of Tariqe Fosu, yet having played just over thirty minutes on Saturday, you’d hope that he’ll be in line for a start this evening.

Also on the bench (but unused) was Ahmed Kashi who none expected to see again this season – The Defensive Midfielder no doubt coming into the squad himself tonight to potentially give some much needed rest to Joe Aribo who has looked off the pace in recent games… Bowyer has already confirmed that the full-backs will once again be rotated this evening, with Ezri Konsa and Lewis Page returning to the team.

Amos
Konsa | Bauer | Pearce | Page
Reeves | Forster-Caskey | Kashi | Fosu
Magennis | Ajose

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Dasilva | Lennon | Kaikai | Aribo | Zyro | Mavididi

Prediction
When you look at the table, you have to say that this is a must win fixture – Unfortunately football isnt as simple as that, and Shrewsbury proved at the Valley that they’re where they are on merit… I predict this fixture to be harder than the one against Blackburn, a win could be the spark to push our season on one last time

Comments

• The team looks right, but I'd have Dijksteel as sub over Lennon, and Marshall over Kaikai although that own't happen. Wouldn't surprise me if the Kak got on as a sub and scored a consolation goal against his old team. Won't mean anything though as they will be long gone by then...

3-1 defeat
  • 0-2 Fosu and Reeves.
  • wouldnt suprise me if we nicked a result here to plummet to a defeat on Saturday in front of the travelling masses.

1-0 bauer
  • Think it’s pretty sad that even by our standards to only sell 300 for a game of this size at this stage of the season is pretty poor

Would take a point in a heartbeat but Shrewsbury still have a sniff of top 2 so not expecting it
  • Amos
    Dijksteel | Bauer | Pearce | Page
    Marshall| Forster-Caskey | Kashi | Fosu
    Magennis | Ajose

Good with a flat 442 but real width in Marshall and Fosu who can also depend.

1 - 0 to the Addicks (Magennis)

• Think it’s pretty sad that even by our standards to only sell 300 for a game of this size at this stage of the season is pretty poor

Would take a point in a heartbeat but Shrewsbury still have a sniff of top 2 so not expecting it

A point is no good to us though - the only option is a win or frankly we are finished (realistically if not mathematically). So I wouldnt take a point. Only a win.
  • Arses handed to us. 3-0 defeat. Players looked like they had jacked it in on Saturday.
  • 1-1 draw, a result which is terrible for both teams. If we can get the first goal I hope we can rattle Shrewsbury and get the crowd turning on them.
  • I really want to be wrong, but the best I think we can hope for is a draw, sadly however I think we are looking at another defeat 2-1 Shrewsbury, play-off hopes gone.
  • 4-0 defeat.
  • Sponsored links:

• 0-0 bore draw, so much optimism has been lost with the last couple of results. Thats me trying to be positive think we might snatch a draw
  • I actually got a good feeling about tonight.. think we will get a win.

Same team as the original post.

Shrewsbury Town 1-2 Charlton Athletic
    Magennis
    Fosu
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • We aint winning this. Seasons done.
  • The shrews are under intense pressure tonight whereas we’re not expected to win. This is their last chance to keep pace with Wigan and Blackburn
  • Can't even bring myself to watch the game tonight via iFollow, well done to the 300 that are going.

Have my tickets for Rochdale away last day, but fear season is over.

2-0 loss
  • Shrewsbury Town v Charlton Athletic
    Tuesday 17th April 2018 … 7:45pm Kick-Off
    Referee: Darren Handley (Lancashire)

Introduction

Saturday saw another crunch game at the Valley in which the Addicks, like so often this season, failed to deliver – Three points would have gone a long way in securing a Play-Off spot, Charlton though don’t make life easy, despite four games still remaining, our fate to an extent is out of our hands… We travel to Shropshire this evening needing a huge result… Just a shame its against a side still chasing automatic promotion!!

The Opposition
    Name: Shrewsbury Town | Manager: Paul Hurst
    Ground: The New Meadow

It’s been a remarkable season for the Shrews… One of the favourites for relegation, they’ve defied the odds to secure at least a Play-Off place – Going up against Wigan and Blackburn on their budget is no easy task and as we enter the final stages of the season, it looks as though the strength and depth of the top two will be too strong for our opponents tonight as a five point gap has opened up.

Still you should never write off this side… With a game in hand over Blackburn (which they play tonight), that gap could yet be reduced to just two points – With Blackburn still to visit the Valley, Charlton might yet have a say in who’ll be playing Championship Football next season.

The Play-Off Race
    The game against Shrewsbury tonight is simply happening now because of our opponents achievement in reaching the Football League Trophy Final - Fighting to catch up, Charlton can return to fifth in the table tonight, regardless of results elsewhere, the Addicks will at least end up back in the Play-Offs if they can record a win.

The reason for that is the fact that of our Play-Off rivals; only Rotherham (realistically out of reach now) and Portsmouth play this evening, both away from home at Bradford and Gillingham respectively… Ultimately Plymouth will end up with two games in hand after tonight – We must continue to apply that pressure!!

Charlton Team News
    After a bright start for Lee Bowyer, it appears to have gone a bit sour… Having scored nine goals in three games, we’ve now gone to scoring just one goal in three games – One of the reasons for that downturn in form will have been the absence of Tariqe Fosu, yet having played just over thirty minutes on Saturday, you’d hope that he’ll be in line for a start this evening.

Also on the bench (but unused) was Ahmed Kashi who none expected to see again this season – The Defensive Midfielder no doubt coming into the squad himself tonight to potentially give some much needed rest to Joe Aribo who has looked off the pace in recent games… Bowyer has already confirmed that the full-backs will once again be rotated this evening, with Ezri Konsa and Lewis Page returning to the team.

Amos
    Konsa | Bauer | Pearce | Page
    Reeves | Forster-Caskey | Kashi | Fosu
    Magennis | Ajose

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Dasilva | Lennon | Kaikai | Aribo | Zyro | Mavididi

Prediction
    When you look at the table, you have to say that this is a must win fixture – Unfortunately football isnt as simple as that, and Shrewsbury proved at the Valley that they’re where they are on merit… I predict this fixture to be harder than the one against Blackburn, a win could be the spark to push our season on one last time
    3-0 loss with that team
  • If we'd won our "easier games" we could afford to sit back for the draw and hope to nick a goal, but now it's a must win for both teams really. If they draw they'll be 4 points behind Blackburn which would be a lot to make up.

• Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Sponsored links:

• Shrews 6/5 on Betfair :astonished:
  • Any slim Play-Off hopes finally extinguished. 2-0 Shrews
  • Keep the faith
    Got 50/1 us scoring 4 goals or more so
    2-4
  • It’s the hope that kills ya ... picture this, I was standing stark bollock naked in the changing rooms at David Lloyd and in walks Joe Aribo and Jay DaSilva (both injured for tonight, by the way). I’m standing there having a conversation with Joe about tonight’s game. He reckons the lads are well up for it but that usually means one thing, in my book... we’ll lose :(
  • edited April 2018
    You're one player short on the bench. Marshall, I suspect.

In the home leg of this they absolutely swarmed and overran us in midfield. They gave us nothing on the day, it was a very good performance from them.

I can't see how us going 4-4-2 will help what we struggled with at home in a 4-2-3-1. Shrewsbury play a sort of 4-1-4-1 which gives them a lot of numbers in midfield. If he starts I don't think Fosu will have as much freedom as he did in that ten role before he got injured. He'll need to track a midfielder a fair amount I suspect.

I would go 4-3-3 and look to set up similar to how we did against Blackburn. Sit deep and look to hit them with pace on the counter. I struggle to see Bowyer doing that though. It would also be massively helpful if Kashi were fully fit, enough so to start, but I doubt it after a couple months out.

Also, if Sarr was fit I'd start him. Pearce's inability to pass to a teammate is a huge liability, and against a team that presses and swarms, they could have a field day with him. And him just lumping it forward, which he does under no pressure, is as good as handing the ball back to thr opposition.

Ideal, assuming everyone fit.
    ............. Amos
    Konsa Bauer Sarr Page
    ............... Kashi
    . ....... Reeves.... JFC
    Marshall Fosu Magennis

I'd start Fosu as a false nine similar to how he played in Bowyer's first game. I don't think Bowyer will be that brave. On the right ice chosen Marshall because his pace on the counter is so useful, and hell help with their left back, but I could see Ajose or Kaikai going there as well.

What I think the team will actually be.
    .............. Amos
    Konsa Bauer Pearce Page
    ............ JFC
    ....... Reeves Aribo
    ......... .... Fosu
    ......... Zyro Ajose

Phillips, Lennon, Kashi, Marshall, Kaikai, Mavididi, Zyro

Don't even think Bowyer will start Big Josh. I fear that we're seeing why our team has been so stale for so much of the season. It was just Robinson who had a hard time affecting things, it was his coaching staff as well. I'd love to be wrong, but it was obvious against Wimbledon that we've run out of ideas and have resorted to lumping it forward to no one in particular. I fear this could get ugly.
  • That's why he's called Mr Dick. Allegedly.
  • Thrilling climax to another pulsating season full of shit.

Does anyone really believe we deserve promotion ?

• A draw at best which is not enough. I actually think we'll meekly capitulate to a 2 or 3-0 defeat.
  • Not being negative for the sake of it but i don't think we will win tonight but obviously i'm looking to be proven wrong!

2-1 (Big Mag)