Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Liverpool et Celtic

Do they both sing off the same hymn book nowadays?

Comments

• Have done for many years
  • Fields of Athenry v Fields of Anfield Road.
    Same song, different lyrics.
  • It really is a weird one. Both clubs founded out of the Methodists, but Everton had this story around them about being the “Catholic” club.

Look at the roots of Liverpool and how their founders (breaking away after the fall out for rent of Anfield) were all prominent in the Conservative Party & the Freemasons...not quite where most of their fans would like to see themselves!

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/question-of-religion-as-basis-for-support-still-contentious-1.1655070
  • Oh no! A complication! We're not done! Light a fire someone, we'll be out here all night
  • Michael Mols
  • TelMc32 said:

It really is a weird one. Both clubs founded out of the Methodists, but Everton had this story around them about being the “Catholic” club.

Look at the roots of Liverpool and how their founders (breaking away after the fall out for rent of Anfield) were all prominent in the Conservative Party & the Freemasons...not quite where most of their fans would like to see themselves!

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/question-of-religion-as-basis-for-support-still-contentious-1.1655070

#TelMc32 That was my understanding and behind my question.
  • Solidgone said:

TelMc32 said:

It really is a weird one. Both clubs founded out of the Methodists, but Everton had this story around them about being the “Catholic” club.

What prompted you to ask the question though? Which songs in particular?
  • edited April 2018
    Liverpool tend to consider themselves scouse not english, whilst coming from a rc family i would side with celtic if i had to pick but i have no particular affection towards either club and really has f all to do with relgion now, the bigotry of both sides is ridiculous, scott browns testimonial being played against the roi will be a day full of anti british songs etc and the last time i checked glasgow was part of the uk?, equally young lads running around with there england flags with a ulster badge on it i find ridiculous as would put good money on them knowing f all about it.

edit; that is discussing celtic and rangers as opposing clubs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Liverpool tend to consider themselves scouse not english, whilst coming from a rc family i would side with celtic if i had to pick but i have no particular affection towards either club and really has f all to do with relgion now, the bigotry of both sides is ridiculous, scott browns testimonial being played against the roi will be a day full of anti british songs etc and the last time i checked glasgow was part of the uk?, equally young lads running around with there england flags with a ulster badge on it i find ridiculous as would put good money on them knowing f all about it.

'' coming from a rc family i would side with celtic..really has f all to do with relgion''

Might have to run that one past me again!
  • se9addick said:

Liverpool tend to consider themselves scouse not english, whilst coming from a rc family i would side with celtic if i had to pick but i have no particular affection towards either club and really has f all to do with relgion now, the bigotry of both sides is ridiculous, scott browns testimonial being played against the roi will be a day full of anti british songs etc and the last time i checked glasgow was part of the uk?, equally young lads running around with there england flags with a ulster badge on it i find ridiculous as would put good money on them knowing f all about it.

'' coming from a rc family i would side with celtic..really has f all to do with relgion''

Might have to run that one past me again!
    if you could refrain from and taking half of my comment to make your point look valid that would be fantastic, as i said;

whilst coming from a rc family i would side with celtic if i had to pick but i have no particular affection towards either club and really has f all to do with relgion now

so quite clearly the old firm has changed considerably over the last few decades and now relgion is less of a factor and more pro british/anti british rivalry.

making my point of liverpool ( considering themselves as scouse not english ) and celtic who take a anti british view.
  • Solidgone said:

Do they both sing off the same hymn book nowadays?

Back to the original point.

Is it not the same for most clubs? You hear 'terrace' songs every week that have, in most cases, been 'penned' by fans of another club.

The latest incarnation of this is the quite awful 'I'm Into Something Good'. First heard by these ears at Old Trafford I believe.
  • so if you had to pick, rather than going on football/what colour strip you prefer/favourite players to have played for the clubs etc , you would base your decision purely on religion? Sorry but I don’t see an issue with the way @se9addick has edited your post.
  • so if you had to pick, rather than going on football/what colour strip you prefer/favourite players to have played for the clubs etc , you would base your decision purely on religion? Sorry but I don’t see an issue with the way @se9addick has edited your post.

as i'm english i have no reason to support or care for a foreign club and as i said if i had to pick, both rangers and celtics level of bigotry i think sometimes go too far, celtic in days gone by only had catholic players and rangers only protestant. of course there have been crossovers, nowadays its more of a chance to express British and Anti British opinions which isn't a religion.
  • wmcf123 said:

Michael Mols

He scores goals!

as i'm english i have no reason to support or care for a foreign club and as i said if i had to pick, both rangers and celtics level of bigotry i think sometimes go too far, celtic in days gone by only had catholic players and rangers only protestant. of course there have been crossovers, nowadays its more of a chance to express British and Anti British opinions which isn't a religion.
    But picking Celtic because you are RC is basing it on religion.
  • Liverpool tend to consider themselves scouse not english, whilst coming from a rc family i would side with celtic if i had to pick but i have no particular affection towards either club and really has f all to do with relgion now, the bigotry of both sides is ridiculous, scott browns testimonial being played against the roi will be a day full of anti british songs etc and the last time i checked glasgow was part of the uk?, equally young lads running around with there england flags with a ulster badge on it i find ridiculous as would put good money on them knowing f all about it.

Which is odd considering most of their fan base has probably visited Merseyside no more than once.
  • Uboat said:

Solidgone said:

TelMc32 said:

I was watching Celtic v Rangers and Liverpool’s latest song (don’t know what it’s called) was being sung at Hamden Park. And of course the Athlone song too. I don’t think I’ve heard any other club sing these songs. I was wondering about the Irish connection and thought the Liverpool were the Protestant side of the house.
  • Solidgone said:

Uboat said:

Solidgone said:

TelMc32 said:

I was watching Celtic v Rangers and Liverpool’s latest song (don’t know what it’s called) was being sung at Hamden Park. And of course the Athlone song too. I don’t think I’ve heard any other club sing these songs. I was wondering about the Irish connection and thought the Liverpool were the Protestant side of the house.
    Many years ago, I was in contact with the editor of a Rangers fanzine, his take was exactly that, Everton to him were considered the catholic/Celtic supporting fans.

I’m pretty sure most fans of each club couldn’t give a shit either way, but, my two pals from the Wirral, one is a staunch liverpool fan, Loyalist Englishman, detests being called a scouser and hates Celtic, his brother in law is Everton, catholic and loves Celtic
  • Sponsored links:

• Solidgone said:

Uboat said:

Solidgone said:

TelMc32 said:

The Athenry songs have different words though. Celtic sing the original but Liverpool have got a version specific to LFC.
    I'm not sure what the other one is.
  • edited April 2018
    Uboat said:

Solidgone said:

Uboat said:

Solidgone said:

TelMc32 said:

The Athenry songs have different words though. Celtic sing the original but Liverpool have got a version specific to LFC.
    fields of anfield road as opposed to fields of athenry
  • Uboat said:

Solidgone said:

Uboat said:

Solidgone said:

TelMc32 said:

fields of anfield road as opposed to fields of athenry
    Sorry, I mean I don't know the other song that Solidgone is referring to.
  • Solidgone said:

Uboat said:

Solidgone said:

TelMc32 said:

The other song Liverpool Sing is about there club where's Celtic sing it about Kieran Tierney, I think Rangers sing a song to the same tune as well but not sure what they sing about.
  • Solidgone said:

Uboat said:

Solidgone said:

TelMc32 said:

The other song Liverpool Sing is about there club where's Celtic sing it about Kieran Tierney, I think Rangers sing a song to the same tune as well but not sure what they sing about.
    Potato Famine
  • All clubs adapt songs. Forest sing their version of Mull of Kintyre, despite ours being the undisputed best version there is, according to Paul McCartney*

As for Liverpool, they had a good few Irish players over the years when they were winning titles. No doubt that’s why a load of fans were picked up from the Republic, who either don’t know or don’t care about any religious bias.

*I may have made that bit up :wink:
  • I mean no team in blue can be supported , that's millsmall colours ffs

i used to like rangers when gazza, butcher , walters and co were up there

scottish irish, scottish brits paaaah weirdos

scottish football is pretty junk but that fixture is a proper watch for the atmosphere and mad passion in the game , just a shame it's so one sided now
  • TelMc32 said:

All clubs adapt songs. Forest sing their version of Mull of Kintyre, despite ours being the undisputed best version there is, according to Paul McCartney*

As for Liverpool, they had a good few Irish players over the years when they were winning titles. No doubt that’s why a load of fans were picked up from the Republic, who either don’t know or don’t care about any religious bias.

And Liverpool's greatest player is Kenny Dalglish which probably has bound Liverpool and Celtic fans as well
  • TelMc32 said:

All clubs adapt songs. Forest sing their version of Mull of Kintyre, despite ours being the undisputed best version there is, according to Paul McCartney*

100% the best version according to.... ME