Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

RIP Ivan Mauger

From the days when speedway riders were known outside the sport. The great Kiwi rider has passed away aged 78. RIP.

Comments

• edited April 2018
    He was a real star of his day! R.I.P.
  • Have never followed speedway but Mauger was a big name in sport in his day.

RIP
  • Is Barry Briggs still alive?
    Strange how Kiwis dominated Speedway in those days, yet they produce zero riders nowadays.
  • Is Barry Briggs still alive?
    Strange how Kiwis dominated Speedway in those days, yet they produce zero riders nowadays.

Yes he is - I looked him up as soon as I heard about IM, always associate the two in my mind.
  • Speedway legend, RIP
  • Sad news, another sporting hero from my youth gone. RIP
  • From the days when speedway riders were known outside the sport. The great Kiwi rider has passed away aged 78. RIP.

Went to a New Year's Eve party at his house in Woodford, Cheshire the last year he was World Champion - a very nice man, very down to earth and made some excellent, generously proportioned cocktails, as I recall.

Very sad to hear this news.
    RIP Ivan. Speedway Legend. Considered to be the best speedway rider ever!
  • Icon of his sport and a household name even to those who didn't particularly follow Speedway.

RIP Ivan.
  • Sponsored links:

• purdis said:

From the days when speedway riders were known outside the sport. The great Kiwi rider has passed away aged 78. RIP.

Went to a New Year's Eve party at his house in Woodford, Cheshire the last year he was World Champion - a very nice man, very down to earth and made some excellent, generously proportioned cocktails, as I recall.

I live in bramhall which borders Woodford, his kids went to my school when I moved oop north. Used to see him regular, nice bloke. RIP
  • purdis said:

I live in bramhall which borders Woodford, his kids went to my school when I moved oop north. Used to see him regular, nice bloke. RIP
    We used to live in Bramhall, too and my wife's best mate at the time lived on Chester Road, Woodford - next door to Ivan Mauger - so we blagged an invite to his New Year's Eve bash.
    My colleague here in Ipswich who is also from Bramhall knew Ivan's daughter - agree, a nice family, it seems.
  • edited April 2018
    RIP Ivan. One of my heroes years ago.
    Any youngsters not heard of him, look him up on Wiki. A truly great champion with a remarkable record.
  • Saw both his Wembley final wins. Great Champ. Amazing how he got so much drive despite being well forward near his handlebars.
  • RIP Ivan

( but you were no Steve Naylor)

• A great champion, when Speedway was big.
    RIP
  • purdis said:

About the only thing I've got in common with him.

I remember watching him on the TV many times. A real star.
  • Another legend gone. RIP.