Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ex-commercial hen rescue - new homes needed

Mods - if this 'advert' isn't allowed then please sink.

I'm helping with a big hen rescue in May. The hens are 18 months old and are now considered 'spent'.

If anyone would like to give some hens a good retirement home (they still lay, but not 7 a week) please have a look at the website of Fresh Start For Hens, www.fsfh.org.uk

There are various collection points around Kent. (When asked, all hens said the team they hated most was Palarse).

Comments

• Sunday’s roast sorted. Cheers mate!

That joke is fowl, mate.
  • edited April 2018
    "HENry Irving" or RedHENry might be able to assist. :smiley:
  • I hope this isn't a yolk at our expense, @Arsenetatters !
    Or maybe a condition of rehoming is to provide a supply of ROTten eggs to chuck at Roly if he appears at the hustings??
  • N01R4M said:

I hope this isn't a yolk at our expense, @Arsenetatters !
    Or maybe a condition of rehoming is to provide a supply of ROTten eggs to chuck at Roly if he appears at the hustings??

Did you know that there are chickens near the square in St Truiden? They are part of 'The Cosmopolitan Chicken Project' (not joking!)
    Here they are
  • N01R4M said:

Did you know that there are chickens near the square in St Truiden? They are part of 'The Cosmopolitan Chicken Project' (not joking!)
    Here they are
    Take the hens to St Truiden and free them in RD's hotel :wink:
  • N01R4M said:

Here they are
    They are probably safer there than they would be in my garden, with all the foxes there are in my neighbourhood! Although I doubt if the cockerel is popular with the locals if he greets the dawn in traditional manner.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sadly, we have no room in our small garden here otherwise we'd gladly have a couple.

When we had some in Dartford, we too were plagued with foxes visiting but if the coop is made properly, with wire extending well below ground level, and even cemented in, there shouldn't be any problems.

Definitely worth considering if you have a reasonable sized garden and especially if you have kids. They love to collect the eggs & feed the chooks !

And the eggs taste very special !
  • No way after the day I had with them. 30:000 of them Had to fix a drinker line. Customer said it only take two minutes to tighten. I’ve never been pecked so many times in my life. Trying to tighten the lever valve. Bum crack hanging out bloody chicken pecking my ass drops my spanner into a pit 2 ft down into loads of pooh trying to retrieve it had to do a lye down reach and the bastards decided that I was there dinner. NEVER AGAIN.

Revenge!
  • I suspect fowl pay.
  • edited April 2018
    Hoping to rehouse some battery hens later in the year when my garden is ready. Not close enough to Kent for this one though.
  • The charity I work for can house a dozen or so, PM if they are available still for more details cheers bbb
  • Sponsored links:

• My garden / land is due to be sorted for them by the end of August so I should be ready for my hens around September time.
  • My garden / land is due to be sorted for them by the end of August so I should be ready for my hens around September time.

That's great news! We do rescues quite a few times a year - there's a massive one in August, 11,000 hens. It might be possible to save some of these for you.
  • edited May 2018

My garden / land is due to be sorted for them by the end of August so I should be ready for my hens around September time.

That's great news! We do rescues quite a few times a year - there's a massive one in August, 11,000 hens. It might be possible to save some of these for you.
    Perfect, if you send me a message at the time that would be great. Looking to house three. Based in West Yorkshire but I noticed there was a rescue / pickup in Leeds last time round.
  • @Arsenetatters this is great work
  • Great work, well done.