Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

PFA Young Player of the Year 2017-2018

So the guidline state

The Professional Footballers' Association Young Player of the Year (often called the PFA Young Player of the Year, or simply the Young Player of the Year) is an annual award given to the player aged 23 or under at the start of the season who is adjudged to have been the best of the season in English football

Season started in August

Harry Kane turned 24 in July yet he is nominated

Comments

• edited April 2018
    Full list of nominees

Ederson- Man City turned 24 in August
    Sane- Man City turned 22 in January
    Sterling- Man City turned 23 in December
    Rashford- Man Utd turned 20 in October
    Kane- Tottenham turned 24 in July
    Sessegnon- Fulham turned 17 in May
  • Should be an under 21 award really in my opinion.

If you're 24, you're potentially 7-8 years into your pro career, no way should you still be eligible for a 'young' player award.

Didn't realise Ederson was only 24 though, City may have spent a fortune but Pep has certainly built a side who can stick around for many years.
  • Of that list I'd give it to Sané or Sessegnon
  • As others have said it should be for players 21 or under. I'd like to see Sessegnon win it, but I'm guessing it will be Kane
  • sam3110 said:

Of that list I'd give it to Sané or Sessegnon

Then Kane can claim it.
  • Any player under the age of 30 will qualify before long.
  • Anyone under 30 is young, IMO
  • Sessognon got a total of 5 awards at the EFL awards last night. Wouldn’t surprise me if he won this one too. Kane will surely win it.
  • So the guidline state

The Professional Footballers' Association Young Player of the Year (often called the PFA Young Player of the Year, or simply the Young Player of the Year) is an annual award given to the player aged 23 or under at the start of the season who is adjudged to have been the best of the season in English football

Season started in August

Where does it say that the season starts in August?

Players contracts run from 1 July each year. And a player not turning up for training until 1 August isn't going to last long.
  • Chizz said:

So the guidline state

Season started in August

Players contracts run from 1 July each year. And a player not turning up for training until 1 August isn't going to last long.
    Well you only have to look at the date of the first league fixture to get your answer.

When did the English league season ever not start in August?
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:

So the guidline state

Season started in August

It clearly says in the names

Pre season training
    Pre season friendly

So they are pre season as in before the season
  • edited April 2018

Chizz said:

So the guidline state

Season started in August

Well you only have to look at the date of the first league fixture to get your answer.

When did the English league season ever not start in August?
    Does the season start in August? - I wouldnt presume that...

The season usually begins in July because thats when Qualifying for the Champions League and Europa League begins... and Everton began their season in July this season... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40724022

The same will happen again in the summer as if you click on the below link you'll see that the 6th placed team in the Premier League will enter at the Second Qualifying Round with the first leg potentially on the 12th July...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018%E2%80%9319_UEFA_Europa_League#Second_qualifying_round